pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to be sure everything is clear.

Rod's post was done yesterday in the new forum and the attached image was fine then.
So there was nothing to be fixed/cured in that case.
If anything, the fix for images from the old forum perhaps seems to have affected brand new images in the new forum

ie - in this case it has nothing to do with migration from the old forum.

If this is the case...maybe Rod or someone else could try duplicating the same thing Rod was doing...and see if the same result happens now (after the fix).

Here's what Rod did:

I'm running an extension called, Full Page Screen Capture (on Brave browser). One click and it captures the whole screen.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I did see that...and was scratching my head what was up. That post was at 10:55pm EDT (before the fix)...thus was hoping it would be cured after the fix. Since so many other threads & posts I checked this morning (after the fix) were fine...I'm hoping this situation is a rare anomaly.

With 1.7+ million posts on the forum...you can image how many embedded image files there must be. If the majority of them are working fine now (with only a few anomalies)...we should be in great shape. From what I understand...no migration like this is 100% perfect.

But if we do start finding more than might be considered rare (maybe they share a related issue)...then this fix may need to be revisited.

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Just in case someone does discover some image issues with older threads...keep in mind that many embedded images were hosted on various image hosting sites over the years like Flickr, Photobucket, etc. If the members that linked these images closed those accounts or deleted the images from these image hosting site accounts...then these images are no longer available to display. In these siuations...you may receive an "error page" or an "Oops page".

Hmmm... something is awry. The images in the bug report I posted the other day in this thread are now linked to something completely foreign to me. What I posted were embedded and visible. Now they are links to something completely unrelated.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... something is awry. The images in the bug report I posted the other day in this thread are now linked to something completely foreign to me. What I posted were embedded and visible. Now they are links to something completely unrelated.

Yeah you're right...I remember the 2 images that were posted originally. Ok...looks like this needs to be revisited again.

Thanks,

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
I looked a few of my images I posted in the new forum a few days ago, and they are OK.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked a few of my images I posted in the new forum a few days ago, and they are OK.

Thanks for checking. Unfortunately I did some checking as well...and I found a bunch. Thus this issue needs to be looked at.

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Yes, it definitely needs to be looked at.

Just weird that it affects some images and not others, both posted only in the last few days since the new forum went on line.
If we can figure out what the difference is, that would help to identify the root cause.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's possible the only threads/posts effected are between late Monday (7/6) thru very late Wednesday (7/8)...just over 48 hours. I did a test thread/post about an hour ago with an embedded image...and all looked fine.:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RSS issue reported by member MacInWin solved. User group assignments corrected.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is not so much a bug as something that affects usability. Normally when I highlight text, it's in blue and stands out against the background. Here, when I select text in the "Reply" box, the highlight color is a very pale gray and barely contrasts against the white background. I have a hard time distinguishing what is selected.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not so much a bug as something that affects usability. Normally when I highlight text, it's in blue and stands out against the background. Here, when I select text in the "Reply" box, the highlight color is a very pale gray and barely contrasts against the white background. I have a hard time distinguishing what is selected.

Thanks for mentioned this...I totally agree. This has been reported & is on the to-do list. It should be improved soon.

A possible temporary or permanent solution...if you're ok with using the Mac-Forums Style "MF Dark"...the text highlighting is much better in this style. Otherwise the improvement with the other styles should be soon.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Lifeisabeach:

The "MF Dark" highlight will show up as a light pink or off shade of red and is very noticeable. Give it a try and let us know how you like it. We understand that not everyone likes dark mode.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

Pleased to announce that the "text selection color" for the "New Thread" and "Thread Reply" message creation areas should now have a much more visible color.:)

This improvement in both the "MF Traditional" and "MF Traditional 2.0" styles.:)

Before & After:

selection color 2.png

selection color 1.png

- Nick

Reactions: Rod

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A continued thank you Nick for all this hard work.

The text selection colour is certainly much better.
I may be in a minority, but I’m not a fan of dark mode. Nothing against it. Just a personal preference.

Ian

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be in a minority, but I’m not a fan of dark mode. Nothing against it. Just a personal preference.

Definitely seems to be a very polarizing style. Folks either love it or hate it. Lol

We have both the traditional style & dark mode (sort of opposite styles). Hopefully the overall style "like-meter" registers higher with more than one option.:)

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Definitely seems to be a very polarizing style. Folks either love it or hate it. Lol

My eyes are actually complaining when I use Dark Mode.

I find the dark blue text really hard to read, like the example below

Dark Mode.jpg

krs

Reaction score
Let's try it as a png - the jpg above looks a lot worse than the original on my monitor.
And the monitor is even calibrated :rolleyes:

Dark Mode.png

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You do realize that you pretty much used the worst case scenario with that image when talking about the Dark mode being hard on the eyes...right?;)

You used my signature...which has smaller font & blue links....which is not really indicative of 99% of all other forum posts.

- Nick

p.s. But yes I agree...my signature in Dark Mode is more difficult to read. But looks fine in the Traditional style.:)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@Nick - Take a look over here

Rod's post yesterday that showed the image of the web page screen shot with the Brave browser extension has now changed to something totally different.
I wonder if that is related to this "image fix" creating a new problem.
Yes I noticed that. Initially I thought it was my fault but now I understand. I know it will all get sorted eventually so not stressing about it. Just watching from the sidelines at the moment. If I can contribute anything useful I will.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I noticed that. Initially I thought it was my fault but now I understand. I know it will all get sorted eventually so not stressing about it. Just watching from the sidelines at the moment. If I can contribute anything useful I will.

From what I'm seeing...only posts with embedded images posted between Monday & Wednesday (July 6-8) are effected. And this issue is still going to be looked at & corrected. This is a very small window of time...and not very many posts are effected.

Posts since Thursday with embedded images look fine. A test thread was generated yesterday/Thursday...and embedded images in it are fine.

A year from now these 2 days of effected posts won't even be a blip on the radar!:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

View attachment 31860
Yes, I agree, this is a problem across lots of apps. Emails with dark blue text are particularly annoying as I use dark mode in Spark too. I think as more people adopt dark mode this practice will cease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.