Brave Browser - Ready for Prime Time?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
****, you put me to shame, you are obviously a lot more organized than I am. Merry Christmas anyway, have a safe happy silly season an a healthy, safe New Year

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Rod, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays as well - although I don't know how one gets into the Christmas spirit without snow.

But I assume you are used to that. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, rather. At the moment it is 42C (107F) outside and 27C inside and no aircon, pretty tricky little house we have her in Victoria.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy New Year everybody, back to topic:
I like to revisit stuff although I am sometimes disappointed. Today i checked in on the Brave Browser (using it now) to discover there has been an update. Current version now; 1.2.43 Chromium
Zero issues with it at the moment.
One thing I maybe didn't notice before is the font size is larger than Cliqz which I have been trialling for a while. Investigating this in settings I find that here are 5 font size settings, from very small to very large which is pretty good considering Cliqz has no settings for font size at all.
I using the "recommended" size which is a little larger than most browser defaults and easier for me to read on the MBP.
Worth giving it another try????

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that update Rod, I use Brave once in a while and controlling font sizes would be a good thing.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I still have trouble with the basic functionality of Brave.

I just tried it again.
First thing came up is that there is an update - so I installed that. That part worked fine.
Then I tried to log into this site which I had already bookmarked and where I had used Brave previously.
But instead of mac-forums coming up I get this message: "Javascript is required. Please enable javascript before you are allowed to see this page."
Don't understand why javascript was disabled when I upgraded Brave - so to me that is a negative
Then I look for a way to enable javascript on Brave, can't find it after checking a few Brave preferences.
OK, next step - let's ask google
So I go back to Brave preferences and select:
On startup>open a specific page>..and I type in Google
I expect google to come up when I select a new window in Brave (it does that with every other browser I have ever used), but not with Brave.
Seems they really mean "On Start up"- after I shut Brave down and launched it again, google did come up.
But I want google to come up when I open a new window -I don't want to have to shut down and relaunch Brave every time to do that.
So google then brings up a whole list of hits with people asking the same question, how to enable javascript.
I eventually find this:
Open the browser, click the gear icon on the upper right corner and click Internet Options. Go to the Security tab and click Custom level on the bottom. Scroll down until you find the Scripting option and enable the Active Scripting below that to enabled. Confirm the change and close the Settings window.

Well, to start with the gear icon is in the lower right corner now (so maybe that got moved), next I don't have an "Internet Options" option, but I have a "Privacy and Security" option - I go to that but then there is no "Custom Level" on the bottom.
Either Brave made a change or google brought up the info for a different browser.

Anyway - I checked another google hit and it directed me to the "Shields" option and then I see tha "Block Scripts" was set to "on" - at least I assume moving the button to the right is "on". Why on is red insread of green is beyond me.
But I moved the button to the left, ie "off" - so now I expected to be able to bring up mac-forums....but no, I get the same message.
Oh wait....just tried it again and mac-forums now comes up.
So it takes a few minutes (or seconds) before Brave recognizes the changed setting.
Now I can finally see what options there are to take a selective screen shot of a web page that extends below the monitor screen.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, trial and error worked for me with Script blocking. I turned it on, had the same experience as you then turned it off.
As for opening Google, why not just add it to the Bookmarks Toolbar. If you use it frequently it will come up on the Home page as a Top site which opens when you click the plus button for a new tab or you can change the address for the Home Button.
The Community page is really good if you have other questions Brave Community

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, Rod

I already have google in the bookmarks toolbar - still means I have to make two selections every time - new window which brings up the Brave home page with the image and then select google. When I click on the plus button, I get to the Brave home page as well.
You are suggesting that I can change the home page to google- I tried that, but google only comes up when I launch Brave initially, not when I select a new window.

But besides that there are other features I use many times a day that Brave doesn't offer. The biggest one is a selective screen shot of parts of a web page that go beyond what is seen on the screen. Since I found that on Firefox a while back I use that several times a day.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Decided to give the Brave browser another try.
Latest version is 1.10.97

But I still can't find a way to do a selective screen shot or full webpage screen shot, a feature with Firefox which I now use several times a day as a very easy, quick record of what is on a website at any time.

Does anyone using Brave have a way to do that?
The only options I see with Brave are the standard webpage save options where one ends up with an .htm file and an associated folder.

Reaction score
But I still can't find a way to do a selective screen shot or full webpage screen shot...
Is this feature somehow different than the ability to do that built-in to the Mac OS?

e.g.
Command-Shift-4

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Is this feature somehow different than the ability to do that built-in to the Mac OS?

e.g.
Command-Shift-4

Yes - it can save the whole web page as a png file, not just the part that one can see on the screen.
For want of a better term I called it a "full web page screen shot" in my post above.

You get this when I use that screen shot of this web page -
Hmm, file is too big to embed as an image, let's try "Attach files" - that should work.

Doesn't work either

Ahhh...size limit must be 1 MB
Making a zip file gets it just below that

Reaction score
Yes - it can save the whole web page as a png file...
I suggest that you ask about this on the Brave Community:

And if it is a feature that isn't present in Brave, I recommend that you leave the developers feedback about it.

Brave is being developed at a breakneck pace. I'm sure that they will appreciate the feedback.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
And if it is a feature that isn't present in Brave, I recommend that you leave the developers feedback about it.
I already did that quite a while back.

Never heard back one way or the other.
Maybe it's on their to-do list.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Just checked Brave

This request came up in August 2019 on the Brave community
Was automatically closed 30 days later and moved to github (whatever that is)

Doesn't look like it's going anywhere

Reaction score
Was automatically closed 30 days later and moved to github (whatever that is)
Github is a collaboration site for software developers. It is often used to allow programmers from all over the world to work together on an open source project. If your request was moved to Github, it likely means that it's waiting for someone to implement that feature into Brave.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running an extension called, Full Page Screen Capture (on Brave browser). One click and it captures the whole screen. See example below; View attachment 31768

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I'm running an extension called, Full Page Screen Capture (on Brave browser). One click and it captures the whole screen.

Great - step in the right direction.

With Firefox you can you also select any portion of that whole web page - say the first ten posts in your example.
I find that extremely useful.
Here is the FF description of what the feature can do (and it actually all works):

Apparently Vivaldi has the same or a similar feature according to that GitHub page I posted earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I don't get an image, it opens in a separate tab, and only has an image of the Apple Logo.

I see that same hing now.

But when I looked here yesterday, the correct image (long and skinny) was actually embedded.

I wonder if the other "image fix" caused this part of the code to break.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.