New Mac-Forums Bug Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks good Nick. It logged me in the first time without having to reset the app. Haven't tried it on my iPad yet but it should be easier there to navigate with the larger screen.

Charlie

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Awesome you got in the first time Charlie!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not really a bug report just an observation about an issue that might come up. Profile posts seem to be limited to a total of 420 characters. Going above that limit leads to an error message. You have to continue editing the message until you get below that level.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think this may be a bug.

When I want to create a new paragraph, I would normally hit the Return key twice.

What happens now is that it takes 3 hits on the Return key. First hit creates a new line. Second hit does nothing. Third hit creates new paragraph, but instead of the default being Uppercase, it is always Lower case.

As this happens on my older iMac, my new iMac and my iPad, it is clearly not machine specific.

Anyone else found this?

Ian

krs

Reaction score
I never noticed that, but let me try.
First hit of return key creates a new line.

Two hits of the return key leave a blank line, which I assume you mean by a new paragraph.

Three hits of the return key leaves two blank lines.

Works exactly the way I would expect it to work..But I don't understand what you mean by "default being lower case instead of upper case"
Isn't that supposed to be that way?

krs

Reaction score
Ah...I think I see what you mean, let me try this again. One hit of return key
Starts a new line; two hits moves cursor down two line

ie here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Line one.

Line two, got here with two returns. Works exactly as expected. I wonder if your return key isn't reliable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
First line... hit return...
end up here ... hit return key twice...

end up here.

Seems to work as I would expect it to.

No automatic capitalization of any first letter at the start of a new line or paragraph

Mavericks10.9.5 and Google Chrome.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In my case though I don't think the number of returns/paragraphs comes into play. IIRC the post in question was a single paragraph.

krs

Reaction score
Hmmm....... I thought when one hits "Post reply" a blank line is added, but it doesn't seem like it.
This is the screen shot before I hit "Post Reply"

Forum return.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this may be a bug.

When I want to create a new paragraph, I would normally hit the Return key twice.

What happens now is that it takes 3 hits on the Return key. First hit creates a new line. Second hit does nothing. Third hit creates new paragraph, but instead of the default being Uppercase, it is always Lower case.

As this happens on my older iMac, my new iMac and my iPad, it is clearly not machine specific.

Anyone else found this?

Ian
@sly, the original (quoted) says it takes three hits to get two lines. The capitalization is dependent on whether or not there is a full stop (period) at the end of the line, but the only reason I can think for needing three returns for two lines is that the return key isn't registering every time.

krs

Reaction score
The capitalization is dependent on whether or not there is a full stop (period) at the end of the line

I don't automatically get capitalization on the next line when I place a period at the end of the previous line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm

maybe I got that wrong.

yes, no cap here. nor here. So autocapitalize is just not there at all. Oh, well.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding the "Return" key question. Everything is working fine for me. Each tap of the Return key sends me to a new line like it always has & should.:)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Working for me, only had to login once but I was logged out from my previous attempts to log in. All good now. Have posted a few replies with no issues.(y)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks guys. Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy. Work.

It can’t be the Return key as this is the same on both iMacs and my iPad. I mentioned this in my first post saying that this means it is not machine specific.

And the autocapitalise does not work irrespective of whether there is a full stop (period) at the end of the first paragraph. This seems to have been confirmed by others, I think.

It’s a minor annoyance rather than a big deal. But I do think it’s a bug.

The behaviour I describe does not occur in any other situation on any of my devices. Only on the Forums and only since the upgrade.

Another thing I’ve found typing this post is that if I make a spelling error and go back to correct it by inserting the cursor, autocapitalise is turned on!

Ian

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing I’ve found typing this post is that if I make a spelling error and go back to correct it by inserting the cursor, autocapitalise is turned on!

Hello Ian. Gaving this a test on mee end. As you can see I misspelled Giving as Gaving and my as mee. When I go back & insert the cursor to correct the spelling...I place the cursor after the misspelled letter's...then insert the correct letters. Everything works as it should (no auto capitalize).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@IWT, could it be a user setting?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@IWT, could it be a user setting?

Always a possibility, Bob. Thank you. I'll check.

The paragraph problem persists. That's not a setting, but to be fair to all, I shall meticulously review my settings on both iMacs and iPad Pro.

Thing is, I can only reproduce these things on the Forums: Word, Pages, Text Edit - no problem.

Still, I can live with them:)(y) Don't want to waste people's time.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding the "Return" key question. Everything is working fine for me. Each tap of the Return key sends me to a new line like it always has & should.:)

Thank you for your patience, Nick.

1. I think we can discard the autocapitalise issue. I think it is an iPad issue. Anyway, it's variable and not a big deal:)

2. The hit-return-three times issue to get a double space/paragraph has "solved itself", just today. But only on the iMacs. Why? How/ Don't know. It was certainly annoying me.

3. The issue of inserting a cursor to correct spelling errors where it Autocapitalises is confined to my iPad Pro. It persists on the iPad but not now on my iMacs.

So, either you "had a cunning plan" and corrected something (I always give you credit, Nick) for issues 1 and 2 above; or, sadly, I have been wasting your time.:sd:blushing.

I certainly didn't mean to, as these "difficulties" were there on all devices but have resolved somehow. Only the iPad Pro things are still there and that could be in settings.

Anyhow, thank you for your kindness & attention. Sorry to have bothered you.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.