can't upgrade browser because can't upgrade mac

Reaction score
My safari & firefox browsers are no longer supported. Have osx 10.6.8 & need to upgrade to osx mavericks to upgrade safari & firefox but my mac is from 2002 so mac store won't let me upgrade. I have the memory and storage requirements. My question is : how can I upgrade and what can I upgrade to?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have osx 10.6.8 & need to upgrade to osx mavericks to upgrade safari & firefox but my mac is from 2002 so mac store won't let me upgrade.

Sorry…but this information is not accurate. No Macintosh computer from 2002 can run OS 10.6.8.

We need EXACT model info to be able to tell you what your OS upgrade options are.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
imac5,1
intel core 2 duo
2 GHz (processor speed)
I processor
2 cores
L2 Cache: 4mb
memory: 2.5 GB
Bus speed: 667 MHz
I added memory and installed snow leopard a couple of years ago. Let me know if you need other info. Thanks for your time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal…that info helps a lot!:)

This Mac is from 2006/2007. It's max. OS is 10.7.5…and max ram is 4gig (but if 4gig is installed…only about 3gig is addressable).

You can get OS 10.7 "Lion" from here:

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you. You are right. I got receipts mixed up. My other olld mac was from 2002, this one was bought in march 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Personally, I stuck with 10.6.8 because 10.7.x was quickly replaced by 10.8 since it had so many problems. I downloaded a Firefox update not too long ago. I'm not sure they aren't supporting 10.6.8 any more.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Personally, I stuck with 10.6.8 because 10.7.x was quickly replaced by 10.8 since it had so many problems.

There was a short run (relatively) between 10.7 and 10.8 but not necessarily because of a large number of problems with 10.7. If I remember correctly Apple actually announced this short replacement cycle as a strategy during a previous keynote address. I think the target was 12 - 18 months between major point releases.

C

chas_m

Yeah, Mountain Lion coming a year after Lion had nothing to do with "problems" and everything to do with Apple moving to a yearly OS X upgrade schedule (which they announced). A new OS version has appeared every year since, alongside a new iOS version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But I do recall lots of complaints about Lion. To be sure, that's normal with a major upgrade, but it seemed to be more than for other releases.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP has an older iMac (2006/2007)…currently running OS 10.6.8. Lion is the max. OS for this computer. If OP wants/needs an OS upgrade…Lion is the only OS version that the OP can upgrade to.

As far as Lion being troublesome. From a reputation standpoint Lion does seem to get lower marks. But I'm not so sure that reputation is fully warranted. One of my main computers (the computer I'm on now & use probably 10 hours/day)…has been running Lion for years…and I can't remember the last time I've had a problem.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I do recall lots of complaints about Lion. To be sure, that's normal with a major upgrade, but it seemed to be more than for other releases.

Not near as many as I've seen with this current upgrade cycle to Yosemite. In my opinion, Yosemite has been one of the most "glitchy" implementations of a version of OS X. Kind of reminds me when MS implemented Win95 and had to come out shortly after with Win95SE to fix all the bugs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great point Charlie.:) Lion in comparison…could be an extremely stable & less troublesome OS version, compared to the frequency of complaints we seem to be seeing with newer OS versions.

Everything certainly is relative.;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

I don't think Yosemite is any worse than previous upgrades, but I do think that there are a LOT more users, a LOT more switchers who did the upgrade and had problems, so we see a lot more complaints. But most of them fall into the same category--WiFi (known problem), Apps that don't run (no updates), Keychain, not enough RAM, bad installs. And as I recall, most of them (not WiFi) were around with Mavericks and ML, maybe even SL. It's groundhog day...

EDIT: OH, and add in the presence of more malware (popup ads, genieo, mackeeper, etc, etc.) that new switchers tend to gravitate toward and you get the even more posts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been around for many updates of OS X Jake, and this without a doubt has been the most shaky in my opinion, reminding me in many ways of some of the same shaky Windows updates I've lived through. Yes there were some bad moments in every OS X update but I can't remember this many complaints from the membership as I've seen lately.

And let me point out that our forums are not near as busy as they used to be back in the days of Leopard and Snow Leopard.

M

MacInWin

And let me point out that our forums are not near as busy as they used to be back in the days of Leopard and Snow Leopard.
I could interpret that as the vast majority of our members upgraded with no problems. :Cool:

I do hear what you say, but over the time I've been a member here (2008) I've see a huge influx of new folks to OS X. We are getting more questions now prompted by ex-Windows folks who 1) install AV, 2) worry about stuff that Windows demands but OS X doesn't (disk defrag, memory use, cleaners, download helpers, etc.) and 3) "Think" in Windows terms, not in OS X terms and generally try to treat their new Mac like it was a Windows PC.

Could Apple have done better? Sure! Apple depended on Beta testers who should have caught all these problems. They even allowed a million beta downloads, probably hoping to get some feedback. I don't know whether they got it and ignored it (I think it unlikely) or that it just didn't come back to them (more likely), or that people didn't bother even testing it robustly (most likely).

The reality still is that millions of downloads went well, installed properly and work. (Mine is one of them.) We're hearing from the relatively few who didn't have that experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I'm with you Jake.

And I wonder how much this has to do with digital download upgrade after upgrade without folks erasing the hard drive and doing a clean install which everyone was familiar with in the old DVD/CD install days?

Poring over the posts, to me it appears MacBooks all description, and Minis, certainly seem to do much better with a clean install. Also users are coming from 2GB/4GB memory capacities from five or six years ago. Times have changed and that 8GB is nearly a must despite what Apple thinks of user upgradeable memory.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, my bigger criticism of Apple now is hardware. How am I supposed to know NOW how much memory I will need THEN? The non-user-upgrade approach may make it convenient for Apple to shrink the package, but it sure is going to be ugly when version Z requires more than the "standard" package of memory.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I wonder how much this has to do with digital download upgrade after upgrade without folks erasing the hard drive and doing a clean install which everyone was familiar with in the old DVD/CD install days?

Great point Harry…which also got me thinking about something else related to what Jake (MacInWin) said about more users.

It's possible that with Mavericks and Yosemite being downloads…and FREE downloads…more folks are upgrading their OS more often…and more quickly then ever before.

If folks actually had to pay for the OS upgrades…or actually didn't have the ease of digital downloads…they may not be upgrading the OS as quickly (or as often). For example…with the speed of OS upgrades/versions Apple has been doing (once/year). Some folks running Mountain Lion (10.8)…might have skipped Mavericks…and went straight to Yosemite (if the OS upgrades were not downloads or free downloads).

More folks are probably upgrading ASAP when an OS upgrade comes out…installing the "virgin version" (10.10.0 in this case)…which can be more buggy…thus leading to more complaints.

So if folks had to pay for an OS upgrade (even a small amount)…or if it wasn't so easy to get…folks might wait a little bit longer before upgrading (maybe not till the 2nd or 3rd update)…when the OS is more stable & fewer bugs. With fewer bugs/problems...there would be fewer complaints.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

I'll also say that some of the folks who are in the early adopters category don't really know much about what they are doing. They seem to be depending on the "it just works" mantra. And if they didn't have third party software, it probably would. But old software, old drivers, sketchy add-ons, no backups, etc, all make the "it just works" much less likely.

Changing the operating system is open heart surgery on the machine. It should not be taken lightly. I think Apple needs to stop the public beta program and restrict the releases to trustworthy testers and stop giving the impression that it's no big deal. It IS a big deal.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The free / dramatically lowered cost of OS upgrades has certainly changed how I update. When upgrades were $100+ budget constraints often forced me to wait several months before upgrading. Usually, by the time I could afford the upgrade the first or second point release had hit the streets. With the new pricing model I've jumped on every OS since 10.6 the day it was released.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.