can't upgrade browser because can't upgrade mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll also say that some of the folks who are in the early adopters category don't really know much about what they are doing.

Agreed. A lot of computer users out there (like you said)…just want it to work. Just like putting gasoline into a car. They don't care to know how the automobile operates…they just want to put gasoline in it…start it…and it goes!;)

Now Apple is making it SO EASY to upgrade the OS on a computer. Easy download…and FREE…"why not"? most users may say to themselves. Except that the first release of an OS version is probably just as buggy as it has always been…and now we have lots of less tech-savvy users installing it…and having issues. So…more complaints…and maybe/probably…justified.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The free / dramatically lowered cost of OS upgrades has certainly changed how I update. When upgrades were $100+ budget constraints often forced me to wait several months before upgrading. Usually, by the time I could afford the upgrade the first or second point release had hit the streets. With the new pricing model I've jumped on every OS since 10.6 the day it was released.

Exactly!:) When OS 10.5 was $129…and earlier versions were around $100…not nearly as many "regular folks" rushing off to the local Apple Store…or ordering online for it. They didn't upgrade unless there was:

- a super-duper feature they just had to have
- they had hardware or software that required the new OS version
- the new OS was faster
- etc.

Even when 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 came out with a REALLY CHEAP upgrade price …folks still weren't upgrading like crazy…they still waited a little bit till they needed it…or the reviews of it were favorable.

But with FREE OS upgrades…people are saying…"What the heck…I'll try it…why not!! If I don't like it…I'll revert". Except it's not always quite that easy!:(

It would be a lot better if most folks just waited until the 2nd or 3rd update of a new OS was released (before upgrading)…AND until some professional reviews are written to see how the new OS performs in the "real world".

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I knew a new OSX was on it's way out I would save up so I could purchase it the first day it came to town. At the time even at $129 for a full OS (Not some stripped OS like XP Home) it was still a great deal.

I have flash drives for 10.7-10.10 so I am covered for a fresh install no matter what Mac I am upgrading.

I have a 16GB Flash drive I partitioned in 2 partitions. One has 10.7 and the other 10.8! Just hold down Option and select the right one! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I knew a new OSX was on it's way out I would save up so I could purchase it the first day it came to town. At the time even at $129 for a full OS (Not some stripped OS like XP Home) it was still a great deal.

Yes…but you're not a "normal user" Dennis!;) You're a "Super-User"! You live, eat, and breath…computing!:)

The way I got most of my versions of 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 was…via used computer purchases I made…where the seller was including their 10.4, 10.5, or 10.6 retail install disk (I think that I got three 10.5 retail install disks this way).:)

Then when I eventually sold these computers…I kept the retail install disks (for later use).:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, You you you Disc hoarder you! :D Grin

with 10.5 I got a 5 license version as I had 5 Macs that would all run 10.5. Got it for the price of a One license version from Amazon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Hey guys, really enjoying your conversation in this thread. Why did Apple decide to make OS X free? It was probably the first of many pleasant surprises I've had since converting to Apple back in July.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, You you you Disc hoarder you! :D Grin

with 10.5 I got a 5 license version as I had 5 Macs that would all run 10.5. Got it for the price of a One license version from Amazon.

Yes...I guess you could say that!;) I have 10 legal retail installs of 10.5. Five individual 10.5 installer disks...and one 5-user Family Pack disk.:eek:

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey guys, really enjoying your conversation in this thread. Why did Apple decide to make OS X free? It was probably the first of many pleasant surprises I've had since converting to Apple back in July.

The answer is easy, to sell more Apples. Besides, Apple is actually making more $$ from selling iPhones, iPads, and to a lesser extent iPods. The iPhone 6 is their biggest money maker yet.

How many Surface 3's has Microsoft sold? And look what they charge for a copy of Windows 7 or 8.

C

chas_m

Lion got something of a bad rep because it introduced some (IMO minor but quite different) changes including auto-saving and versioning in Apple-written apps, and removed "Save As" as a result (since it was no longer necessary). This confused the heck out of some people, and Apple's not always too good about explaining the clear benefit of the new system. Ultimately they sorta put "Save As" back when it became obvious that third-party developers weren't supporting the new system.

As for making OS X free -- they realised that it cut piracy dead in its tracks and that they'd make a lot more money off the services and purchase engines that came with OS X than they would by having users pay for the development. It also killed the three year cycle of boom and bust income from OS r&d, and made Macs more attractive to switchers. Apple's made much more money off OS X as a result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
My safari & firefox browsers are no longer supported. Have osx 10.6.8 & need to upgrade to osx mavericks to upgrade safari & firefox but my mac is from 2002 so mac store won't let me upgrade. I have the memory and storage requirements. My question is : how can I upgrade and what can I upgrade to?

I'm curious why you want to upgrade? Safari 5.1.10 & Fire Fox 33.1 work just fine with OS 10.6.8? I read about Mavericks & the benefits sound pretty vague to me. Apple wants to make more money based on upgrades! What don't you understand about that? I haven't seen improvements that seem to make me want to go to Maverick. The money isn't really the issue. I just leave what is working well alone unless I see a real, substantial improvement. Unintended consequences always lurk!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OS is free so what $$$ you speaking of? A New mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
The answer is easy, to sell more Apples. Besides, Apple is actually making more $$ from selling iPhones, iPads, and to a lesser extent iPods. The iPhone 6 is their biggest money maker yet.

How many Surface 3's has Microsoft sold? And look what they charge for a copy of Windows 7 or 8.

It seems to be working well. I read that even though overall PC market sales are down Mac sales were higher this Q3 and than last year. Apple is now third largest seller in the US behind HP and Dell after edging past Lenovo and fifth place globally. Of course this means an influx of new users (including yours truly) coming to these forums to learn how to use their new magnificent computers.

Surface, pffft. I heard a lot of those are collecting dust in warehouses, lol. I will take my MBA any day over that piece of, uh, equipment.

Now back to the regularly scheduled OT discussion :D

Reaction score
While you're on the subject (Hope you don't mind my jumping in), I have a MacBook Pro, Mid-2012, 2.6GHz Intel processor, 16 GB Memory, and I'm still running OSX 10.8.5. I've hesitated to upgrade to Mavericks and now Yosemite because I've heard of bugs and can't afford too many glitches. I use my computer heavily for work and can't miss too many beats. I'm always wondering if I should be upgrading. (FYI: My knowledge level is above newbie but certainly not an advanced user). Any advice?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
If you don't need to upgrade your computers OS…then don't do it. It's really that easy!:)

- Nick

Exactly. Some really excellent points here. The ONLY reason I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite was because it was free. There was ultimately NO reason for me to upgrade. I made the mistake of assuming that SIMPLY BECAUSE IT WAS FREE, the upgrade was incremental, NOT a major overhaul.

The other side of the coin is that if someone NEEDS an upgrade, they may not be able to afford it if they are students or folks on fixed incomes.

Regardless, perhaps when anyone ASKS "should I upgrade?" find out WHY they want to upgrade. Are they just neurotic about being left in some mythic technological dust, or do they have a NEED based of software or hardware requirements.

I am FIRMLY in the "If you don't NEED it, don't DO it" camp. 10.10.0 is running perfectly on my computer, I have NO INTENTION of upgrading to 10.10.1 unless, down the road, it is absolutely needed.

ken

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be sticking with 10.8 at least until I have a good reason to upgrade. BTW, I always thought there was a difference between upgrading and updating. Once you have upgraded to another OS, then keeping up with the updates is a good thing, as it often fixes bugs, etc.

M

MacInWin

Hempomatic, 10.10.1 is an update, not an upgrade. Moving to Yosemite was moving from 10.9 to 10.10, a major upgrade. 10.10.1 is a minor release, just fixing a few bugs. 10.10.2 is out for beta test, should be along in a few weeks.

Any time that second number changes, it's a major upgrade. The third number is a minor update. The first number? Well that's an earthquake!

Reaction score
I too understand where Jake is coming from because I am still very new to my Macbook Pro and find it extremely difficult to switch from Windows mind-set to Mac. Once I have worked out what I want to do I am quite happy, but it does take time. I still use my windows as prime but hope to switch around to Mac shortly.
You guys do a great job explaining things in one syllable so we Windows Nerds can understand - Grateful thanks for that.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Yes, this forum has been very helpful to us poor Windows refugees :)

On another note 10.10.2 is on the horizon as the beta is being seeded now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Hey guys, an intereseting discussion. But to get back to the OP's original question, are Safari and Firefox no longer being updated for 10.6.8? When that happens with other software I've usually had a window pop open saying so. That hasn't happened so I've assumed that they're both being supported. Same for Chrome. The new iMac is in the January budget but I still wish to use my 2008 iMac running 10.6.8 which has never given me any grief at all.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.