can't upgrade browser because can't upgrade mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys, an intereseting discussion. But to get back to the OP's original question, are Safari and Firefox no longer being updated for 10.6.8? When that happens with other software I've usually had a window pop open saying so.

What window is this? The only window I know…is "Software Update". And this only pops up when there ARE updates to be installed. This window doesn't pop up when you have NO updates.

The last version of Safari released for 10.6.8 was Safari version 5.1.10 (September, 2013). The latest version of Safari for Yosemite is version 8.0.

Apple dropped support for OS 10.6 back in February. So I would say any future updates to Safari for 10.6 are unlikely…especially since the last Safari update for 10.6 was 15 months ago.

Like I said above…you only get a pop up window when "Updates are Available"…NOT when updates are NOT available.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
While you're on the subject (Hope you don't mind my jumping in), I have a MacBook Pro, Mid-2012, 2.6GHz Intel processor, 16 GB Memory, and I'm still running OSX 10.8.5. I've hesitated to upgrade to Mavericks and now Yosemite because I've heard of bugs and can't afford too many glitches. I use my computer heavily for work and can't miss too many beats. I'm always wondering if I should be upgrading. (FYI: My knowledge level is above newbie but certainly not an advanced user). Any advice?

I also have a mid-2012 MBP w/ OS X 10.10.1 but with a 2.5 GHz i5, 256 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM and I have had no problems with Yosemite from public beta 1 to the latest 10.10.1. Everything downloads and installs with little user intervention and my machine is purring. For anyone reading this, you really need at least 8 GB RAM and if you want to see your MBP fly, install a SSD.

I write this because these types of forums generally are dominated by those having problems and I know there are some serious issues out there. But there also are millions of us running Yosemite with no problems. I say take the plunge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
An Alternative to Upgrading your OS

You can solve your browser dilemma without upgrading your Mac's OS.

Because I still need access to software that requires Rosetta, I continue to run Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro, although I have Lion installed on a second internal HD and use it occasionally.

I have found that Google Chrome is a more than adequate replacement for both Safari and Firefox. It loads faster and works on financial websites and others where Safari chokes, coughs, sputters, and slows to an agonizing crawl.

Reaction score
To respond to Japple79's original post, I have an iMac 2007 vintage, running OS X 10.6.8, and I updated to Firefox 33.1.1 (the latest version) without any trouble.

Reaction score
If you take your Mac into an Apple Store, they can upgrade it for you to any system from 10.7 onward from their server copies (either an upgrade of your current system or a clean install). You will have to make an appt through the Genius Bar. Last week they upgraded my MacPro to 10.9.5 at no charge.

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I am still using 10.6.8 on my 2010 MBP. I have never had any issues with firefox (now on ver. 33.1) or safari. I can't speak for later OS's, but 10.6.8 has been the best I've used up to this one. (I've stayed with this OS on my mac because of several apps that won't work in later OS's.) I am also curious why you can't use those browsers anymore; seems odd.

C

chas_m

While you're on the subject (Hope you don't mind my jumping in), I have a MacBook Pro, Mid-2012, 2.6GHz Intel processor, 16 GB Memory, and I'm still running OSX 10.8.5. I've hesitated to upgrade to Mavericks and now Yosemite because I've heard of bugs and can't afford too many glitches. I use my computer heavily for work and can't miss too many beats. I'm always wondering if I should be upgrading. (FYI: My knowledge level is above newbie but certainly not an advanced user). Any advice?

Having made my living and used Yosemite for many months now, I've not encountered so much as a single one of the many alleged issues with it. That's not to say that some of the bugs found aren't legitimate bugs, but over the many years I've been keeping up-to-date with Apple OS updates, it's come to my attention that about 90-99 percent of the complaints you hear about a new OS update (any one of them) stems from user incompetence, impatience, or ignorance rather than actually being an actual reproducible issue.

Make a clone backup, upgrade, given it an *honest and open-minded shot,* and clone back if you genuinely feel there are "bugs" that "force" you to go back. But I'm here to tell you that Yosemite has opened up a TALL can of AWESOME new functionality and efficiency on this mid-2012 MacBook Pro here.

Reaction score
thats what i would recommend is going to a bigger drive and going to a dual boot system and dual booting mac os x snowleopard to keep powerpc support and lion to use as your primary o.s but remember come april you will have to look for a new mac because lion is soon to be unsupported as well apple has stated that eventually there o.s support platform will be 10.8 10.9 10.10 and users will need to upgrade.

Which leads people to use sixty four on thirty two for macintosh all though it works i would never recommend something that makes your machine a unsupported macintosh

Reaction score
I don't think Yosemite is any worse than previous upgrades, but I do think that there are a LOT more users, a LOT more switchers who did the upgrade and had problems, so we see a lot more complaints. But most of them fall into the same category--WiFi (known problem), Apps that don't run (no updates), Keychain, not enough RAM, bad installs. And as I recall, most of them (not WiFi) were around with Mavericks and ML, maybe even SL. It's groundhog day...

EDIT: OH, and add in the presence of more malware (popup ads, genieo, mackeeper, etc, etc.) that new switchers tend to gravitate toward and you get the even more posts.

I could not be happier than I am with Yosimite, on all three MAC's in the house, I had constant Beachball slowdowns, all were completely resolved once I upgraded to Yosimite, outside a few connection probs with WiFi, once they 'learned' the networks its all good.
:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My Firefox version is 33.1 and it runs on Snow Leopard. I think I downloaded the Firefox update within the last month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few, ranging from an SE/30 to a recent MacBook Pro. Also, a Newton MP130, and some SGIs for kicks.
As of this writing, Firefox still supports Snow Leopard (MacOS X 10.6). You always can check the minimum requirements for the latest version of Firefox by visiting https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/system-requirements/ . It will be interesting to see how long Firefox continues to support 10.6.

Google's Chrome still supports Snow Leopard, but it probably won't be very long before that changes, too. For example, the latest version, 39.x, is the first 64-bit-only version, so it no longer supports early generation Intel Macs running Core Solo or Core Duo processors. (It's still a little unclear if it will work on machines with 64-bit Core 2 Duo processors that have 32-bit EFIs. Preliminary results suggest the answer is "no.")

As for Safari, if you run it on Snow Leopard, you should be very careful with it, as there are known security vulnerabilities in the Snow Leopard version of Safari, particularly involving its ability to send encrypted information over the Internet using a technology called "SSL." You should avoid using the Snow Leopard version of Safari for online banking, online shopping, or anything using your most important passwords. Be particularly careful if you use it on public networks, like at hotels or coffee shops. At this point, Chrome and Firefox are much better choices from a security perspective.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
I noticed that there's a few Windows "haters" on here, lol. Just a friendly observation. I, on the other hand, use both OS's alternatively whenever the task calls for it. Mac has its place during my computing routines but I use Windows more b/c it has better compatibility for most of the apps I regularly use. However, 10.6 was the best version of OS X IMO and has been beneficial to me for Rosetta so I have it partitioned on another system. The only thing that bothers me a/b Mac upgrades are the fact that an app that used to work on 10.7 will have a slash on it in 10.8, indicating that it won't work so I have to purchase the new version of the app which sucks. Just my 2 cents

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which app was this? Are you sure the app worked in 10.7? I remember seeing that behavior when making the transition from 10.6 to anything higher. The common cause under those circumstances was that the app relied on Rosetta to run older Power PC software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
Which app was this? Are you sure the app worked in 10.7? I remember seeing that behavior when making the transition from 10.6 to anything higher. The common cause under those circumstances was that the app relied on Rosetta to run older Power PC software.

Most versions of Final Cut Pro and Garageband require you to have to upgrade to a higher version once you transition from a lower version of OS X.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd have to go back and double check but I don't think that has been true. Not sure about the two most recent versions of GarageBand since I don't use that program much but in the past there have been versions that worked across several OS upgrades. Same goes for Final Cut Pro.

The exception to this was the transition from Snow Leopard to newer versions of the OS. In that case the problem was the OS no longer supported any Power PC software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
I may have to screenshot it to show you what I am talking a/b. I'm 99% sure when I tried use a version Final Cut from 10.8/10.9, it was null in void in 10.10.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to this page from the RoaringApps database Final Cut Pro and X work under OS versions from 10.6 to 10.10. Some component parts do not work on all versions of the OS>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
According to this page from the RoaringApps database Final Cut Pro and X work under OS versions from 10.6 to 10.10. Some component parts do not work on all versions of the OS>

Unfortunately I'm at work to verify my previous comment. If I remember later I will upload the screenshot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few, ranging from an SE/30 to a recent MacBook Pro. Also, a Newton MP130, and some SGIs for kicks.
(It's still a little unclear if {Google Chrome 39.x} will work on machines with 64-bit Core 2 Duo processors that have 32-bit EFIs. Preliminary results suggest the answer is "no.")

Updating the above information: Google Chrome 39 works on machines that have 64-bit processors but have 32-bit EFIs.

As I write this, it looks like when Chrome 38.x is running on many machines, "About Chrome" says that there is no update available, and if you try to download Chrome manually from those machines, version 38 is what is being delivered. However, if you download Chrome 39.x through other sources, such as through MacUpdate, version 39 installs and appears to function correctly.

Presumably, it is just a matter of Chrome 39 taking its time propagating through the update servers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.