Bluetooth mouse for Big Sur on iMac M1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I can't address the rest of your post because I don't have multiple systems with multiple keyboards or mouse or trackpads. I guess it's good in that situation.

But I see zero latency with my Apple MM2 using BT. If you have latency, there is something wrong. That latency is, as I recall now that you mentioned it, one of the reasons why I ditched Logitech. I simply couldn't stand the laggy performance, random inputs and generally poor quality of the devices. I was surprised because I had used Logitech before and fully expected the mouse to work well, but it was just terrible. Won't ever have another.

But that's why we have choices!

Well on a technical level there is less latency, but it’s probably only a practical thing with hard core gamers. I’ve never had the problems you’ve had even when using them on Bluetooth. It may be a thing with their cheaper ones, perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sure, there is ALWAYS latency. Virtually nothing is really simultaneous. But in a real, practical sense, my MM2 has essentially no latency. I move it, the cursor moves. I click, it registers. Now, I don't play games very much, and none that really require zero latency, but I would suspect latency in an intensive gaming situation would be more of a CPU issue than anything related to BT vs a third party driver that has to receive a USB signal and process it. But I could very well be wrong about that. Maybe Logitech has some magic somewhere these days, lots of people say nice things about their stuff.

As for cheaper, it was an expensive mouse that turned out to be absolutely terrible. I paid more for a mouse that had a good review to use with Photoshop, but it never lived up to the hype. Laggy, dropped connection, ignored clicks, moved on its own, just terrible. The worst was that no matter how careful I was, every time I clicked on something the cursor moved a couple of pixels in a random direction before the click was processed. Trying to use it with Photoshop was a nightmare because I had to zoom in so close to be able to control the mouse that I couldn't see much of the image I was editing. If I backed out, the uncommanded move on every click meant that I would end up having to undo probably 75% of my actions and redo them, hoping the mouse would behave. The best day was the day I "retired" that POS. I refused to inflict it on anyone else, so I smashed it into pieces and recycled the pieces. It needed to die. Got my first MM that day and never looked back. No more Logicrap in my home.

And I don't use File Vault, so that's not an issue for me. Never saw any need for FV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use FV anymore myself, nor see the need especially today. I wound up turning it off after a few months. It seemed like something worth trying at the time but APFS I think has certainly made it pointless. As for your experience, all I can say is that's highly anomalous. Most people have a great experience with Logitech mice. All you have to do is read around to see that. And thankfully this one works great for me, because I really... and I mean REALLY... hate Apple's mice. Partly it's the size. Too small for my big hands. But I also just prefer tactile buttons. But hey, if Apple's mouse works for you, more power to you. That's the great thing about having options.

EDIT: about the "3rd party driver" question? There is no 3rd party driver. No driver at all. You have to use their Unifying Software to pair the mouse to the dongle IF it doesn't come pre-paired to one. You can then just happily uninstall the software. You can unplug the dongle and take it to another computer that has never had the Logitech software installed and start using it immediately. The computer literally sees it as a USB device. It identifies it as a "USB Receiver", but functionally it treats the paired devices like an attached USB keyboard/mouse.

EDIT 2: I would actually wager that your issues stemmed not from the mouse, but maybe installing their mouse software: Logitech Options (the Unifying Software is fine if needed, it does nothing to affect functionality). Geezus, EVERYONE knows not to install that!

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Going back to latency. I would never notice that what ever it was like because the biggest latency is ME :unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Logitech makes two versions of the MX Master 3. One which comes with the dongle and isn't marketed as specific to any particular platform, the other a Mac-specific model which DOES NOT come with a dongle. There's absolutely nothing special about the Mac version other than the Space Gray color and the lack of a dongle.

A bit OT, but some of Logitech's recent lack of consistency got me quite annoyed at them not too long ago when I purchased a spare Logitech M705 on sale as it appeared that they may be dropping the product all together.

What I found annoying after wasting an awful lot of trying trying to get it to work is the "hidden thumb button" of the original Logitech M705 usb wireless mouse has been removed from the recent versions even though the model number is exactly the same. They also changed the design and style and composition of the slide pads, and my only way around the situation was to purchase their M720 usb wireless mouse which does have the hidden thumb button that I used quite frequently for a custom use.

One would think they would change the model number along with such changes from the original design, or at least make some sort of note in the specifications. But not so it seems... they just don't mention the fact the button has been removed or the slide material has been changed... Not good... 😞

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT 2: I would actually wager that your issues stemmed not from the mouse, but maybe installing their mouse software: Logitech Options (the Unifying Software is fine if needed, it does nothing to affect functionality). Geezus, EVERYONE knows not to install that!

I have used Logitech usb mice for years and usually their software for their USB wireless mice to modify particular buttons and have never noticed any lag or latency which I certainly have with Bluetooth mice on mine and other Mac users machines. Apple's mice have always been the worst and often don't work properly at all when in my hands. Apparently my hands lack some sort of capacitance or something. Regardless, Apple's mice become almost useless, followed by almost any brands Bluetooth mice with I think one exception, that I believe was a microsoft bluetooth mouse that actually amazed me how well it worked. But unfortunately, it was uncomfortable and too small for my hands, so there's always something... ;)

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regardless, Apple's mice become almost useless, followed by almost any brands Bluetooth mice with I think one exception, that I believe was a microsoft bluetooth mouse that actually amazed me how well it worked.

Have to agree with you Patrick. I have a junk box with Apple mice in it, even the latest rechargeable model.

I'm not a big fan of Logitech mice since they seem to change models every year and the quality has gone down considerably.

The older models from Logitech were great but lately I avoid them as they're really no better than any other cheap mice that you can buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, I love the Apple mouse family. Hate Logitech, wouldn't take one if you gave it to me. I guess that's why there are horse races...

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Wow, gents, I seem to have opened a rats nest here :rolleyes:

I have to admit thatr for a good number of years now I have had either a Logitech mouse or a Wacoms tablet pen in my right hand and a Magic Mouse in my left.

I use the MM to do the scrolling and left/right through the windows and the Logi jobbie for the selection. That's including in my PS Elements. Can't climb to the full PS, too dammed expensive for this likkle bloke.

Before this comes anywhere near to handbags at ??? Can we declare peace please?

?? Do mouses chase horses Jake :unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, gents, I seem to have opened a rats nest here :rolleyes:

I have to admit thatr for a good number of years now I have had either a Logitech mouse or a Wacoms tablet pen in my right hand and a Magic Mouse in my left.

I use the MM to do the scrolling and left/right through the windows and the Logi jobbie for the selection. That's including in my PS Elements. Can't climb to the full PS, too dammed expensive for this likkle bloke.

Before this comes anywhere near to handbags at ??? Can we declare peace please?

?? Do mouses chase horses Jake :unsure:

LOL! I didn’t think we were getting testy. A spirited conversation about what we like or don’t like and why is a-ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, that's how I see it, too. I had a lousy experience with a product, struck the vendor off the list. Others got lucky, got good results, are happy. No rats nest here. Just a difference of opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going back to latency. I would never notice that what ever it was like because the biggest latency is ME :unsure:

And getting back to your missing Logitech USB wireless receiver, as I alluded to and suggested earlier, whether it comes included or not with a mouse may depend on where one lives or where it is ordered from.

Just checking our local Canada Staples store, it seems that the Logitech USB wireless receiver is included in the box with that Mouse that they sell:
Included in the Box Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse, Logitech Unifying Receiver, Micro-USB cable for recharging, User documentation

They don't seem to list that mouse separately or "for Macs only".

Anyway, for what it's worth... Or if John even wants to look up that way...???

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Patrick,

John is in the UK and here at least there is a version specific to Macs called "MX Master 3 for Mac" which is what John has purchased.

It does not come with a dongle and is the top-rated version of that series. See my post # 67. It is the only version which is not black - it's dark grey.

Ian :) (y)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got a black one:cool::cool: And yes I am in England in the lovely south west:cool::cool:

This is a reply from Jasmin at Logitech 2 hours ago

"Good day,

Thank you for the response.

May I know if this is the standard Mx Master 3 or does it says behind Mx master 3 for mac? specified mouse version for mac does not carry USB receiver.

Or else, refer to the point of purchase for the missing piece. Receiver should be located on the packaging. (box should have spot for the receiver). "

I have a little chance to play with it a bit now and am blown away that it has different actions in different applications. It seems to be a reall smartass bit of kit now I have it working. Just got to get SWMBO convinced that there's more than just left/right/scroll on it :unsure: I might need some luck with that bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And getting back to your missing Logitech USB wireless receiver, as I alluded to and suggested earlier, whether it comes included or not with a mouse may depend on where one lives or where it is ordered from.

Just checking our local Canada Staples store, it seems that the Logitech USB wireless receiver is included in the box with that Mouse that they sell:

They don't seem to list that mouse separately or "for Macs only".

facepalm-deja-q-768x559.jpg

Yes, they do carry it. Take a look at the "Included in the Box" section. Do you see anything about the Unifying Receiver? I don't. There is no regional difference as to whether or not a dongle is included. The "For Mac" version of this mouse simply doesn't include one.

Oh hey, here's Logitech's Canadian product page. Same thing for the "Included" section. Also, scroll down a bit to the bottom of that page, and you'll see a product comparison sheet. And, well gosh, what does it say in the row for Connectivity options for the two variants of the MX Master?

Oh and hey, look here. The "regular" version of the MX Master. There's no section for "Included in the box", but what does it have? Specs for the included Unifying Receiver. Specs that don't exist for the "For Mac" version.

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They only do it to confuse the enemy. Shame that we are the enemy me-thinks?

That 'gesture' button hasn't got the gesture on it that I would like to use sometimes :unsure: I think that it may be because it's a RUDE one :devilish:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They only do it to confuse the enemy. Shame that we are the enemy me-thinks?

That 'gesture' button hasn't got the gesture on it that I would like to use sometimes :unsure: I think that it may be because it's a RUDE one :devilish:

I beg your pardon? It's not my fault that Logitech doesn't include the dongle. It's also not my fault that everyone keeps questioning whether or not I know what I'm talking about and are muddying the waters here.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not me LaB. Any 'gestures' would be directed at the confusion producers wot produce the confusion in the way they package their meeces. :wasntme

I mean, how would like to be a nice meece and not have a dongle :hurt The very thought makes me eyes water :cry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not me LaB. Any 'gestures' would be directed at the confusion producers wot produce the confusion in the way they package their meeces. :wasntme

I mean, how would like to be a nice meece and not have a dongle :hurt The very thought makes me eyes water :cry

Ah. My bad. Sorry about that... I was already feeling a little plucky from having to prove over and over that I know what I know. LOL! But anywho, yeah, it's almost as if Logitech just figured they could fleece Mac users for a little more spare change. Taking cues from Apple, they have been.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No apologies needed LaB. It's just my twisted sense of humour. I think it stems from my time in the R.A.F.?

I'm using a beta version of Logi Options at the mo and it all seems to be working really well, so that's me pleased and I've even found that mt Synology NAS box works on Big Sur too! Bonus!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.