Bluetooth mouse for Big Sur on iMac M1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
This is getting a bit embrrassing, but I have yet another question about our new iMac M1 24 entry level and bits?

I have got a new Logitech M590 bluetooth/USB mouse to use on it as SWMBO is not too keen on the Magic Mouse. So, as some say, I am just obeying orders, and click my heels ?

I am having all sorts of problems with this mouse in that I set it up as we want it. Scroll wheel click left to go left through the windows, right to go right, down for Mission control, etc. All has worked for a little while and then various things stop like no left or right on the scroll wheel and at one point no normal scroll at all!

This is all on the bluetooth fascility. It's OK on the USB link, but I don't want a USB port occupied by a MOUSE and its tiny dongle! I have been in touch with Logitech for days now and when they decide to reply they keep on telling me the same story and way out, which does not work.

So right. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone recomend a bluetooth mouse that will work and has the extra facilities I want pretty please?

The Logitech job is going back to Amazon because it's a waste of space unless anyone can tell me different?

Just as a matter of interest. I have a Logitech M510 mouse on our iMac 21 ½ late 2009 which is being retired. I wantede, at first, to transfer it over to the new M1 machine, but I can't disconnect the connection to the old iMac and therefore I can't transfer it! There is no USB dongle. It must have got lost in our last house move and as far as Logitech is concerned it doesn't have the bluetooth facility, so it can't be connected? I don't think that anyone has told it this? Logitech have told me a couple of times that it can't be connected without its little dongle! Obviously a magic mouse? Oh, and it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just as a matter of interest. I have a Logitech M510 mouse on our iMac 21 ½ late 2009 which is being retired. I wantede, at first, to transfer it over to the new M1 machine, but I can't disconnect the connection to the old iMac and therefore I can't transfer it! There is no USB dongle. It must have got lost in our last house move and as far as Logitech is concerned it doesn't have the bluetooth facility, so it can't be connected? I don't think that anyone has told it this? Logitech have told me a couple of times that it can't be connected without its little dongle! Obviously a magic mouse? Oh, and it works.
How is the 510 connected then? Must be BT? If you open System Preferences/Bluetooth on the 2009, do you see the mouse there? If you, you should be able to tell BT to forget that mouse. In any event, power off the 2009, then open System Preferences/Bluetooth and bring the 510 near the iMac. It should be detected, if it's BT, and you can pair it up. I don't use Logitech devices, so maybe there is something more, but if it's BT, then BT is BT.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
That is the thing Jake. That mouse works fine even with BT turned off. It doesn't appear in Sys Preferences BT at all.

That's what I don't understand? There's definitely no USB dongle either. As I said, that must have been 'put in a safe place' during our house move and for the past several years has operated just fine. If I can disconnect it from the old iMac then I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be OK on the new job? If I can then the M590 can go back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it possible that the mouse is using WiFi? I don't have Logitech, as i said, but I had thought the dongle was BT. Maybe no?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's what I don't understand? There's definitely no USB dongle either.

Do you have the Logitech Unifying Software.app installed that you could run and see what Mouse if any it sees on your old Mac?

It would normally get installed with Logitech Mouse software.

I believe it might have an unpair option you could possibly use, but I don't understand how it is working without a USB dongle. Rather strange... 😏

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WIFI turned off to Jake and it seems that I m not alone ?

They seem to be not using Macs but still that seems rather strange...

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that is really strange Patrick? I started up the Unifying app in the old iMac and was instructed to power the M510 off and back on. This is something O have tried before and it didn't work. Then I had an idea?

I got the USB dongle out of the new M590 that we are using on the new iMac and plugged in into the old iMac and as soon as I did that it told me that there's more than one dongle! and to remove one? Well, if there is it ain't plugged into any of the USB ports on the back of the machine. All there is is a USB keyboard that's been in there since we got it in March 2010 and an external HDD for Time Machine. The other 2 USB ports are empty. There is also an RJ45 socket with an ethernet cable plugged in.

So where this phantom USB dongle is is unknown to me?

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 22.49.57.png Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 22.54.11.png

I have even tried taking the batteries out of the M510 for a couple of hours just in case there some kind of memory in there? But I don't think that there is?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey John:

In my experience, Logitech has always been a bit flaky when it comes to their hardware and devices.

That dongle should have worked regardless. Also, your new M1 iMac may handle the receiver dongle differently than your older Intel machine. Keep in mind that the 2010 uses USB 2 whereas your new M1 has USB 3/C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if there is it ain't plugged into any of the USB ports on the back of the machine. All there is is a USB keyboard that's been in there since we got it in March 2010 and an external HDD for Time Machine.

Any chance that keyboard has a USB port on the bottom with the dongle plugged in??? Doubtful I'm sure, but what is not doubtful is you have one very odd strange problem... 😏

Aren't new Macs fun eh...??? 😏

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hey John:

In my experience, Logitech has always been a bit flaky when it comes to their hardware and devices.
You may have understated things a bit. I've never used their mice because I've seen too many complaints about their software. I have a Harmony hub based remote that's still working but the smartphone software end of things is a design nightmare. When that dies I won't have anything from them on my Mac. The headset I had quit a long time ago.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, there is and there isn't mate. Or in other words the keyboard has a USB socket and it doesn't have a dongle plugged in it. I remembered about the socket just before i went to bed last night and checked it. Great minds and all that?

OK. I'm still in the window where I can send this new M590 mouse back to Amazon. So what would be the best mouse I can replace it with that will still give me some change from a fortune. Any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Now that is really strange Patrick? I started up the Unifying app in the old iMac and was instructed to power the M510 off and back on. This is something O have tried before and it didn't work. Then I had an idea?

I got the USB dongle out of the new M590 that we are using on the new iMac and plugged in into the old iMac and as soon as I did that it told me that there's more than one dongle! and to remove one? Well, if there is it ain't plugged into any of the USB ports on the back of the machine. All there is is a USB keyboard that's been in there since we got it in March 2010 and an external HDD for Time Machine. The other 2 USB ports are empty. There is also an RJ45 socket with an ethernet cable plugged in.

So where this phantom USB dongle is is unknown to me?

View attachment 34979 View attachment 34980

I have even tried taking the batteries out of the M510 for a couple of hours just in case there some kind of memory in there? But I don't think that there is?

What kind of USB keyboard are you using? I'm wondering if it's a Logitech, and the Unifying Software is mistaking that for a USB dongle. I'm just going to spitball here for a moment, but I'm wondering if they ever made keyboards that double as a Unifying Receiver. If you can tell us which exact model you have, that would be a good start. Also try a different keyboard, preferably a Bluetooth one, just to see if that resolves the issue.

EDIT: FWIW, I've long used Logitech mice here with zero issues. Same with their keyboards. I currently use the wireless MX Keys and MX Mouse, and LOVE them both! I do use a Unifying Receiver though because I've found Bluetooth to be problematic in recent years with keyboards (not just Logitech's... it first started with a Matias for me) in that they won't reconnect easily after the Mac has gone to sleep.

For customizing mouse buttons, I very very VERY highly recommend the most excellent utility SteerMouse. Don't use Logitech's mouse software.... just stick with the Unifying Software for managing the dongles.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John,

Have you any deep-rooted objection to Apple's Magic Mouse? - apart from the cost!

I've tried others, but always come back to Apple's. Ditto Keyboard.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
John,

Have you any deep-rooted objection to Apple's Magic Mouse? - apart from the cost!

I've tried others, but always come back to Apple's. Ditto Keyboard.

Ian

He mentioned that SWMBO doesn't like it. I don't care for their mice myself. I have absurdly huge hands and that Magic Mouse just gives me cramps. I prefer tactile buttons anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, if you open "About This Mac" and "System Report" you will find in the left column an option for "USB." Select that and you'll see all devices using the USB bus in the machine. If the Logitech is there, it is plugged in somewhere.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LaB, the keyboard is an Apple full house USB jobbie, complete with the numeric keypad. No idea what the model number is, but it's about as old as the old iMac. as you say it's SWMBO that isn't too keen on the Magic Meece. We have one on the old iMac and the Mk2 that came with the new one. And they are used on their respective Macs.

I use both the Logitech and the Magic meeces. The Magic with my left hand for scrolling/left/right window moves and the Logitech for moving the cursor around and left/right clicking. I also use my Wacom USB pen pad for editing photos and things like that. I have used that set up for years now without any problems.

Before it's mentioned about a possible contention between 2 meeces I have tried switching the Magic off and everything is still the same. That includes after a reboot with only the Logitech on.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have only just seen your reply Jake. I have had a look at the System Report and yes there is a USB receiver there, but where? It isn't plugged in and of the USB ports. As I said, there is just this keyboard and a Time Machine 2 1/2" HDD plugged in the back and nothing in the port in the keyboard?

A fair while back now I had the old iMac to bits to replace the internal HDD with a 2Tb SSHD and upgrade the memory to 8 Gig and surely there is no way that I could, or would, have plugged this magic dammed USB dongle anywhere inside. There isn't anywhere to do that anyway.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 14.33.39.png

I am looking forward to seeing just what is going on here? But for now, all I can say is thank you all for your time and effort folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, if it's in the report, it's plugged in somewhere. I seem to recall one of my keyboards had several USB ports, might that be it? I have also seen, and used USB ports on the back and front of external drives. The bottom line is that it HAS to be plugged in somewhere because otherwise the mouse would not work and it would not be in the System Report.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spoke too soon, because I was explaining to SWMBO about what was happening. I checked all of the ports, including the one on the keyboard. Then to prove I unplugged the external HDD and keyboard and the mouse stopped working. That's when I found that there are 2, two, USB ports on the keyboard, one at each end and hidden underneath,. :unsure: :cry: :oops:

So now I have been able to disconnect the M510 from the old iMac and plug it in the new one and that dammed dongle was plugged into the other end. All I need to do now is to see if it works on the new jobbie?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.