Bluetooth mouse for Big Sur on iMac M1?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I said that - I said that...#44.:wink:rofl:app:laugh Joke.

Bravo John. 60 posts and we've nailed it.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
But you can't joke about PSE Ian. It's my go to and I would rather joke about Talisker and I'd never do that :cool:.

Bin round the distillery twice now and can't remember too much about it because each evening before I had got a bit of a skin full of it in Portree the night before :oops::rolleyes: and didn't really it:unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I said that - I said that...#44.:wink:rofl:app:laugh Joke.

Bravo John. 60 posts and we've nailed it.

Ian

But Ian, just look at all the various Multiple topics that were covered... :app ;);)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
A bit like a normal conversation me-thinks and a BOAT load of help from you guys to boot :loveit:loveit

So I think I will be going over to Manteray tomorrow. ( or what ever it's called? sounds a bit fishy to me :smarty:smarty )

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, a leap back. I have now got the MX Master 3 for Mac ( to give it the full title ) up and running as I want it, I hope? It will either connect by bluetooth or via the USB dongle, or it would connect by the dongle if I could find it?

Anyone got any idea where I might find it please? If it's in the mouse I can't find a way in and if it's in the box then it isn't there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Anyone got any idea where I might find it please? If it's in the mouse I can't find a way in and if it's in the box then it isn't there.
My old Logitech mouse had an opening on the bottom to store the dongle when not being used.Your new one doesn't look like has a place to store the dongle. So, it must be in the box.

Does it have bluetooth, why not use that?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John, are you sure it comes with a dongle?

This is a quote from their web page on your Mouse:

"A USB-C to USB-C charging cable connects directly to your Mac without the need of a clunky dongle. MX Master 3 for Mac stays powered for up to 70 days on a full charge – and gets three hours of use from a one-minute quick charge"

And this:

• PACKAGE CONTENTS
    • Mouse
    • USB-C charging cable (USB-C to USB-C)
    • User Documentation
    No mention of a dongle.

• Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Check if it appears in Bluetooth (System preferences, Bluetooth, turn on mouse and wait a bit to see if it appears). If it is there, it used BT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
or via the USB dongle, or it would connect by the dongle if I could find it?

If you cannot find the Logitech USB transmitter dongle, you could buy a separate one from Logitech or even the 'net, for maybe a couple of dollars. Or even try some of the local stores, the might even have a separate spare you could pick up at a decent price. Or just buy one of the cheap $10 mice that comes with a dongle and use that. All Logitech USB dongles can be paired using the Logitech Unifying Software application I believe, at least it works with all the ones I have used.

I'm not sure about your Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac model, but many of their mice have a storage compartment for the USB dongle often next to the batteries, convenient but hidden out of the way and out of sight... 😉

Have a look at this video for a typical storage slot:

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a quote from the 'techradar site on the MX M3 jobbie

"Meanwhile, the third connectivity option by way of an advanced 2.4 GHz USB dongle remains impeccable and long-ranged."

I am quite willing to carry on with the BT connection, but as it was stated to have the USB connection possibilities I had expected the dongle to be in the box.

It's connected by the dongle on our old iMac, so I know that it is an option. The 'flow' feature is quite kinky too! That's where it transfers from one connected machine across to another. Look it up it's easier if you don't know about it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OK, a leap back. I have now got the MX Master 3 for Mac ( to give it the full title ) up and running as I want it, I hope? It will either connect by bluetooth or via the USB dongle, or it would connect by the dongle if I could find it?

It doesn’t come with a dongle, I can vouch for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn’t come with a dongle, I can vouch for that.

And then to add a bit more confusion, this is what a logitech site says:

SET UP CONNECTIONS
The MX Master mouse gives you a choice of two wireless connections: Logitech Unifying (for which a receiver is included with the mouse) and Bluetooth Smart technology.

HOW TO CONNECT
MX Master comes pre-paired with a Unifying receiver. (You can also pair the mouse with any other Unifying receiver.)
Use Bluetooth Smart wireless to connect MX Master to any Bluetooth® Smart Ready computer.

But maybe that depends on where the person lives as to what is included or not...???

(Especially if one lives in the The Republic of Neptune) 😉

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or Ur-anus?

I will continue to email Logitech and ask Jasmin, the lass who has been dealing with my problem and ask just where it is? If it isn't there then why do the say it is? Not that I would like to stir it you understand?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure if you ask Jasmin nicely, she will send you a dongle. 🥰 But, just be careful, never know who is looking over your shoulder. We would hate to lose you as a forum member. :wink

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have asked already Chas, but I'm always careful just what I do with me dongle mate :a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

But maybe that depends on where the person lives as to what is included or not...???

(Especially if one lives in the The Republic of Neptune) 😉

- Patrick
=======

Yes. You have a choice of connections. They simply don’t include the dongle with the Mac version of the MX Master 3. As I said, I can vouch for this. I have that same mouse. (EDIT: see my next post... that's not the correct setup guide you linked to)

EDIT: additional sources.

EDIT 2: To be even clearer, I have this mouse and I use a dongle, with 2 devices actually (MX Keys and this mouse) and two systems (iMac and security DVR). I can’t remember if the MX Keys came with one or if I had one already, but I did have to buy a second dongle so I could use the keyboard and mouse on both systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LogitechG/comments/i9jgxm

Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Bleah. So I was reading on my iPhone earlier and missed the little tidbit from that setup guide saying the dongle is included. Here's the thing... that's the wrong setup guide. Logitech makes two versions of the MX Master 3. One which comes with the dongle and isn't marketed as specific to any particular platform, the other a Mac-specific model which DOES NOT come with a dongle. There's absolutely nothing special about the Mac version other than the Space Gray color and the lack of a dongle. Here's the setup guide for the Mac version. Note how there is no mention of a Unifying Receiver whatsoever. Also, here's the FAQ, again for the Mac version. Take note of this section, particularly the last line:

Q: Is MX Master 3 for Mac compatible with the Unifying Receiver?

A: Yes, MX Master 3 for Mac is compatible with the Logitech Unifying receiver.

The Logitech Unifying wireless receiver is a USB dongle accessory that allows you to connect the mouse to the computer using USB. It can be useful if you prefer to avoid or cannot use the direct Bluetooth Low Energy connection.

It can be purchased here on the Logitech website or in selected retailers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to ask, "What is the aversion to just using Bluetooth?" It comes with the Mac, costs no more, works well and doesn't take up a USB port for some dongle. Many years ago I tried a Logitech mouse and didn't like it at all, so when they went the dongle route, they "disappeared" for me. So, educate me, what is the draw?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to ask, "What is the aversion to just using Bluetooth?" It comes with the Mac, costs no more, works well and doesn't take up a USB port for some dongle. Many years ago I tried a Logitech mouse and didn't like it at all, so when they went the dongle route, they "disappeared" for me. So, educate me, what is the draw?

Speaking for myself... I already am using a dongle for MX Keys because it averts an issue with these keyboards that can be paired to multiple systems periodically losing their connection. Additionally, several years ago I stumbled into a problem where a 3rd party keyboard paired by bluetooth could not be used to log in to a Mac whose drive is encrypted with FileVault. It simply wouldn't connect. Craziness, but yeah... I found that out the hard way. Using the dongle eliminated that problem. The Mac basically sees it as a connected USB keyboard. And since I'm already using the dongle for the keyboard, I may as well use it for the mouse. There's lower latency with the dongle vs Bluetooth anyway. Additionally, I have a security camera DVR that supports using a USB keyboard or mouse. No bluetooth at all. Normally, it's one or the other because there's only one port. But with the Unifying Receiver, I can use both!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's lower latency with the dongle vs Bluetooth anyway.
I can't address the rest of your post because I don't have multiple systems with multiple keyboards or mouse or trackpads. I guess it's good in that situation.

But I see zero latency with my Apple MM2 using BT. If you have latency, there is something wrong. That latency is, as I recall now that you mentioned it, one of the reasons why I ditched Logitech. I simply couldn't stand the laggy performance, random inputs and generally poor quality of the devices. I was surprised because I had used Logitech before and fully expected the mouse to work well, but it was just terrible. Won't ever have another.

But that's why we have choices!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.