Athlon 64 vs. Apple G5 Systems: Not Even Close (chart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
The only real advantage I see is in FPS in games. But come on 200 FPS? The human eye can't detect anything faster than like 60 FPS or something....

Also, they don't compare the scaling when you add memory to the boxes.

So if you take that comparison to heart. It is pretty much almost a fair fight.

How long has AMD64 been on the back burner for? Took Apple to come out with the G5, for AMD to scurry to keep up.

Of course just my opinion....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I agree.. they don't really differ at all.

There is one test that apple I guess is blown outa the water, and that is Adobe Premier.. which is NOT the industry standard, Final Cut Pro is.

OP
M

man104

Not if you compare the Dual G5 to the Dual Opteron

It will take some time get rid of denial, I suppose.

Emrys said:
Actually went to that PCWorld link and the results are not that dissimilliar. They are VERY close. So I don't see the argument here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
42 FPS is the human Eye, I believe... (thats what movies are at)
But faster FPS = more responsive controlling. Never know some people have faster and slower eye recognition for those with slower, movies look good, for people with faster.. they get head aches from movies and CTR screens :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where does one see the Dual Opteron?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Denial? I switched almost all of my 8 computers to Mac and Linux. I work at one of the most prestigous computer companies in the world. I support one of the most scalable highly available operating systems in the world.

Guess what ?

None if this has anything to do with AMD or Intel for that matter, and all of it has to do with PowerPC and the architecture surrounding it.

So take it how you like, that's the truth and it ain't gonna change because a PCWorld benchmark thinks they know what they are doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, and I don't work for Apple even though it sounds like I do ;)

OP
M

man104

Polywell Polystation,

Opteron is the workstation/server CPU based on AMD64 (hammer architecture)

Look at the Polywell Polystation, it cleans house, and is great comparision because it run Dual 2.0 GHz CPU's like the top Dual G5

Graphite said:
Where does one see the Dual Opteron?

OP
M

man104

The latest movies were created using the AMD Athlon MP

Attack of the Clones, Hulk etc.

Macs are a thing of the passed.

Emrys said:
Denial? I switched almost all of my 8 computers to Mac and Linux. I work at one of the most prestigous computer companies in the world. I support one of the most scalable highly available operating systems in the world.

Guess what ?

None if this has anything to do with AMD or Intel for that matter, and all of it has to do with PowerPC and the architecture surrounding it.

So take it how you like, that's the truth and it ain't gonna change because a PCWorld benchmark thinks they know what they are doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
man104 said:
Opteron is the workstation/server CPU based on AMD64 (hammer architecture)

Look at the Polywell Polystation, it cleans house, and is great comparision because it run Dual 2.0 GHz CPU's like the top Dual G5

I don't know what your looking at.
Mac is a second away in all relative senses.. Apple even beats in it Quake III..
As for word.. eh, its word.

Just because apple is not the lead in any category does not mean it has the worst rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I for one, think I have made my views pretty clear. You can choose to do and say what'cha like.

Welcome aboard, by the way....

OP
B

Barnacle

Emrys said:
The only real advantage I see is in FPS in games. But come on 200 FPS? The human eye can't detect anything faster than like 60 FPS or something....

Also, they don't compare the scaling when you add memory to the boxes.

So if you take that comparison to heart. It is pretty much almost a fair fight.

How long has AMD64 been on the back burner for? Took Apple to come out with the G5, for AMD to scurry to keep up.

Of course just my opinion....

Hello everybody, niceforum you've got here.

Actually the AMD64 Opteron was released several months before the G5.

I have never used a MAC, though I wouldn't mind trying one out. Maybe someday when I save up a little more I will get a low end G5 to fiddle around with. Untill then I will have to appease myself by asking questions and discussing things here.

Not being able to see past 200FPS is doesn't matter, the test(and yes it's just a simple benchmark nothing more) is designed to evaluate CPU performance not eye response.

If I am not mistaken both the AMD64 line of chips and the G5 are 64 bit CPUs. Has Apple recompiled or rewritten the necessary parts of their OSX in order take advatage of this? I know we are still waiting for this with the AMD64 chips which is probably what man104 was referring to by "theoritical potential".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nahh apple has, but not in the test mac world took. Gota wait for panther for the optimizations. And if they used Photoshop CS it would been faster 2. Theres alot of ways to twist things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, we left MS out of this one. When will there be a 64Bit Windows to take advantage of this. I don't know if there is a linux port, as I've never even seen a 64bit chip other than the G5, but there must be.

Actually, I think I can answer the question about the 64Bit Windows. I would have to say "Not for a long time" would be the correct answer. Longhorn just got pushed back what, another year?

All I can say as to how I weigh benchmarks, is this, I could probably do 1 billion processes a second, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference compared to the 15 million ( a wild guess ) we see now. Why? Because we don't do the things with software that require that yet. This is where the human benchmark comes in. I can tell you, by my measurements, that a Mac and OS X combined provide a much more pleasing and enjoyable experience.

At this point in my Mac experience, I only need a little more umph out of a Mac, and I believe that the G5 produces this. I am a power user, and I have used the low end G5, the 1.6GHz model with stock 256 MB RAM. I can tell you that if I had a Dual 2.0 GHz with 2GB of RAM I would be set for a long time. Already supporting 64Bit software and the ability to provide enough RAM expansion for many years to come.

This is why I am a Mac user...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, welcome aboard to you, Barnacle...

OP
G

GummiRaccoon

Hello all. Well, I think one main problem with some of these arguements is that they most of the people know about one platform and not the other.

Here are some facts about x86-64 technology

1) the 64 bit MS OS for x86-64 is due in q1 of next year. there are already betas running around like crazy.

2)With an AMD opteron, you can have up to 8GB of memory PER CPU. So, if you build an 8 way system, you can have 64 GB of memory. And that limit is only because of the fact that you can only get 2GB ECC DDR PC2700 dimms (3200 with jedec approves the ecc 3200 standard)

3)the athlon fx runs at 2.2GHZ. And most likely will be at 2.8ghz as early as june.

4)the k-8 architecture was due out almost exactly 1 year ago, but AMD had problems implementing SOI. They partnered up with IBM and got it done.

5)Much of the architecture on the g5 processor is actually from AMD, hypertransport is an example...

If there are any other questions one might have, I will most likely be able to answer them

OP
B

Barnacle

Emrys said:
All I can say as to how I weigh benchmarks, is this, I could probably do 1 billion processes a second, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference compared to the 15 million ( a wild guess ) we see now. Why? Because we don't do the things with software that require that yet. This is where the human benchmark comes in.

Of course it makes a difference! With this reasoning there would be absolutely no reason for Apple to charge more for a 2.0Ghz machine as opposed to 1.6Ghz, casue we can't really tell the difference anyway. It has to do with headroom for increased complexity. If it can do something fast, then one can extrapolate that in similarly coded enviroment one could add more detail untill it reaches a point where one could tell slight differences. Now Q3 is just one game amoung many and games are just one use of many to which computers are put, so in the grand scheme of things it's not saying a whole lot. It's just a benchmark, nothing more but, nothing less as well.

Emrys said:
I can tell you, by my measurements, that a Mac and OS X combined provide a much more pleasing and enjoyable experience.

That very well may be the case. However, I have found many times that 'different' can easily be confused with better or worse. When I get the chance I will put OSX to the test for myself and could come to the same comclusion you have.

Emrys said:
At this point in my Mac experience, I only need a little more umph out of a Mac, and I believe that the G5 produces this. I am a power user, and I have used the low end G5, the 1.6GHz model with stock 256 MB RAM. I can tell you that if I had a Dual 2.0 GHz with 2GB of RAM I would be set for a long time. Already supporting 64Bit software and the ability to provide enough RAM expansion for many years to come.

This is why I am a Mac user...

That's great! One thing I would like to see is a OSX port to the x86 architecture and finally give MicroCrap some good compitition...

There are some Linux ditros that support AMDs 64 bit extensions, but I havn't had time to download them yet. MS is coming out with a 64 bit version of windows for AMD64 in the beginning of 2004, so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath for anything great. I will most likely be going over to linux in the next month or so in any case.

Emrys said:
Oh yeah, welcome aboard to you, Barnacle...

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
loddy doddy doddy, blah blah blah :D

Jeeze this is getting old.

WHO THE FSCK CARES?

sKaD

OP
G

GummiRaccoon

I'd have to say that everyone that has posted cares, including yourself, if you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I seriously don't care GummiRaccoon. It doesn't bother me if people think Windows/PC's are more superior than Macs.

My friend's brother says crap about Macs all the time, do I do anything about it? Of course not, he benches twice my weight, but that's besides the point..

I just think people are being dumb trying to prove one is better than the other.

sKaD

edit: typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.