• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Another iphone 4G rumour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Devastated? I hope so, if only becasue he deseves to lose his job over this. If that's all he gets he'll be lucky. Apple could tear this guy up for lots of disclosure agreement violations, he'll be paying them his paychecks for years to come. One has to wonder if this phone was even sopposed to be "off the reservation" as it were and if this bungling moron of an engineer wasn't taking it to show his buddies or girlfriend just look like the big shot.

Yeah I agree! But I want to know; "Why the **** was he even allowed to take the phone from work??" And why would the engineers need to take the phone and actually use it as their phone? Surely it's not for testing purposes, as they would have a massive QA team.

I think if he took the phone from Apple without telling them (and if he was specifically told not to take the phone from Apple) THEN he should get in some sort of trouble... like definately get fired, and possibly further action.

But if Apple allowed him to use the phone, that's their own fault for trusting a guy to keep the phone safe!! But what an idiot, why the **** would you take an unreleased !!APPLE!! product to your 27th birthday at a pub?!?! Surely he'd get drunk and lose it.

But I think Apple will now show the world what Apple does and come out with a completely new design. And it will be better (we hope). Just to prove everyone wrong.

Well I hope they redesign it. The new features are good, but we all knew they would be included in the new 4G. I think something to match the looks of the MacBook Pros. Like a UniBody iPhone would be sick!

I dunno.........

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
What an *******. He's forgetting that his son is the one who lost the phone, it's his son's fault entirely. The guy who found it tried to contact Apple but he was basically ignored, so what was he meant to do?

You're kidding, right? Yes, the right thing to do was to SELL the phone to the media:Smirk:. For sure.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree! But I want to know; "Why the **** was he even allowed to take the phone from work??" And why would the engineers need to take the phone and actually use it as their phone? Surely it's not for testing purposes, as they would have a massive QA team.

I think if he took the phone from Apple without telling them (and if he was specifically told not to take the phone from Apple) THEN he should get in some sort of trouble... like definately get fired, and possibly further action.

But if Apple allowed him to use the phone, that's their own fault for trusting a guy to keep the phone safe!! But what an idiot, why the **** would you take an unreleased !!APPLE!! product to your 27th birthday at a pub?!?! Surely he'd get drunk and lose it.

But I think Apple will now show the world what Apple does and come out with a completely new design. And it will be better (we hope). Just to prove everyone wrong.

Well I hope they redesign it. The new features are good, but we all knew they would be included in the new 4G. I think something to match the looks of the MacBook Pros. Like a UniBody iPhone would be sick!

I dunno.........

-Ben

They're not doing an all aluminum body like the iPad or the MacBook Pro's for two reasons: it limits the cellular range, and it limits the WiFi range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're not doing an all aluminum body like the iPad or the MacBook Pro's for two reasons: it limits the cellular range, and it limits the WiFi range.

Ahhh OK. But the MacBook Pro is UniBody aluminium and it has WiFi. And the iPad has 3G and WiFi. So if they can make it work for the iPad and MacBook Pro, why not for the iPhone...

Cellular range - the iPad has 3G, so that doesn't make sense that it would limit cellular range....

WiFi - the iPad, and MacBook Pro and even iPhone 2G was aluminium and it doesn't affect their WiFi range.. so that doesn't make sense that it would limit WiFi range....

??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was listening to a streaming radio show on my Uni MBP yesterday, in my car... all the way down the block from my house. Me thinks that the aluminum isn't hindering the wi-fi signal whatsoever. :D

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was listening to a streaming radio show on my Uni MBP yesterday, in my car... all the way down the block from my house. Me thinks that the aluminum isn't hindering the wi-fi signal whatsoever. :D

Doug

Yeah. So I hope we see a UniBody iPhone. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
The aluminum hinders the antenna cellular range for sure. That is why the 1st gen iPhone went from aluminum to plastic in the 3G. I assume they've boosted the signal strength in the new iPhone if they are going back to aluminum, otherwise the dropped calls will be super fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
well......weve had a chance to absorb quite a bit in the last few days and i was wondering which of these 3 scenarios you are hoping for:

1. iphone is released "as is" in gizmodo video

2. iphone upgrades are "as is" in gizmodo video, but the shape and look is the same as the 3GS

3. iphone upgrades are "as is" in gizmodo video, but a different shape and look is introduced and iphone does not look like either the new prototype or the 3GS

Thanks for your input! :)

rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The aluminum hinders the antenna cellular range for sure. That is why the 1st gen iPhone went from aluminum to plastic in the 3G. I assume they've boosted the signal strength in the new iPhone if they are going back to aluminum, otherwise the dropped calls will be super fun.

I don't think that they changed the design due to signal problems... They changed it just to update the look, and most people agree that the 3G and 3GS look way better than the 2G. But as I said before, aluminium is not a problem for carrier signal or wifi! If wifi couldn't go through aluminium, why would they have it on the iPhone 2G, iPad, and MacBook Pros? The same with the iPad, they have 3G and wifi. If it was a problem, we would see a plastic iPad and MacBook Pro.

And they wouldn't release the iPhone 2G if it had signal problems. They would have tested that 2G sooooo much as it was the first Apple phone.

And to the last poster, I'm hoping for the features of the Gizmodo iPhone and a unibody aluminium design.

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Devastated? I hope so, if only becasue he deseves to lose his job over this. If that's all he gets he'll be lucky. Apple could tear this guy up for lots of disclosure agreement violations, he'll be paying them his paychecks for years to come. One has to wonder if this phone was even sopposed to be "off the reservation" as it were and if this bungling moron of an engineer wasn't taking it to show his buddies or girlfriend just look like the big shot.

Agreed, Just look what happened to the guy in China who lost a prototype. He ended up killing himself. On the other hand I don't think he (The Engineer) Could have got that phone out of Apple without approval, The security their has to be air tight.

Reaction score
Lest you forget, there were a ton of wonderful videos that surfaced from new iPhone 3Gs users ! And now all of a sudden, those great quality vids produced by said phone camera, are now crap ? Come on dude, you can do better than that ! Do you remember the video of the guy who put his iPhone 3Gs on one of those remote controlled airplanes ? It was quite impressive by any portable video camera standard... And I'm sure that at this point, they've got better cameras than that one to put in an iPad. So no, I'm not even close to understanding your logic there. Not one bit.

Stop making excuses for the real reason as to why they didn't include a camera. Of course no one can empirically say WHY they didn't put one in, but it sure as heck ain't because the current camera hardware being used on iPhones isn't good enough.

Doug

They didn't put a camera in because the thing is too ****ed big and unwieldy to be used as a camera. It wasn't meant for that purpose. Does your laptop have a rear facing still photo camera? No! This is because it would be beyond retarded to carry around a netbook or laptop to take pictures! Then why does the iPhone iPod touch have a camera you say? Simply because it is a pocket portable device that is near the form factor of a camera, and also that every other cell phone out there of that caliber has a camera. That's why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For those of you claiming that aluminum doesn't hinder wireless performance, keep in mind that the first gen iPhone had a large plastic area at the bottom where the wireless radios were located, the iPad 3G has a plastic strip on the back where its wireless radios will be located. Since there was no similar plastic strip on the all aluminum Macbooks (pre-glass screens) and Powerbooks, I'm thinking that aluminum doesn't significantly affect Wi-Fi performance but it does affect cellular performance. Hence why a unibody iPhone would not be feasible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those of you claiming that aluminum doesn't hinder wireless performance, keep in mind that the first gen iPhone had a large plastic area at the bottom where the wireless radios were located, the iPad 3G has a plastic strip on the back where its wireless radios will be located. Since there was no similar plastic strip on the all aluminum Macbooks (pre-glass screens) and Powerbooks, I'm thinking that aluminum doesn't significantly affect Wi-Fi performance but it does affect cellular performance. Hence why a unibody iPhone would not be feasible.

Ahh yeah. I didn't look at the iPad 3G version and the plastic strip. So it does make sense that the plastic strip is needed for better cellular range. But I think it looks kinda ugly with the big plastic strip. So how would this prototype that got lost be fully aluminium??

Reaction score
I (and quite a few other people) can't get one if we don't want to be stuck with O2

Haven't you heard? In the UK, Orange and Vodafone will be giving 3G contracts for iPad (which means a microsim), so I'd assume the same will go for the new iPhone. No luck if you're on Tesco Mobile though. And O2 really isn't that bad either - Vodafone has worse 3G coverage, and Orange and Vodafone don't offer access to The Cloud Wifi hotspots for iPhone owners. Vodafone does offer access to BT Openzone hotspots however but bear in mind the UK has 7,500 The Cloud hotspots, but only 2,500 BT Openzone ones. BT Openzone is also offered for O2 customers, but for the majority of iPhone owners, it doesn't actually work, which is a bit of a scam. But The Cloud certainly does work, and is very useful. The only benefit of Orange is their vast 3G coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ahh yeah. I didn't look at the iPad 3G version and the plastic strip. So it does make sense that the plastic strip is needed for better cellular range. But I think it looks kinda ugly with the big plastic strip. So how would this prototype that got lost be fully aluminium??

It's not fully aluminum, and the pictures/videos of it quite clearly bear this out. I believe the back of it has been described as being ceramic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
It's not fully aluminum, and the pictures/videos of it quite clearly bear this out. I believe the back of it has been described as being ceramic.

Hopefully the ceramic back will help with reducing heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh yeah I see. I thought it was full aluminium. But I think the ceramic/aluminium looked good. But the phone looked a bit chunky.

I think we'll see the design change.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
They didn't put a camera in because the thing is too ****ed big and unwieldy to be used as a camera. It wasn't meant for that purpose. Does your laptop have a rear facing still photo camera? No! This is because it would be beyond retarded to carry around a netbook or laptop to take pictures! Then why does the iPhone iPod touch have a camera you say? Simply because it is a pocket portable device that is near the form factor of a camera, and also that every other cell phone out there of that caliber has a camera. That's why.

Haha... You really don't get it eh ? Who was saying anything about taking pictures ? You guys really take the cake sometimes. I'd bet my left chestnut that if it came with a camera, everybody would be saying how great it is.. But since it doesn't, it's just so natural for you guys to defend why it didn't...

In the first place, forget pictures. Erase that from your mind. We were talking video. And not just walk around recording type video, I'm talking about mobile to mobile video applications, such as: Skype. Did you just totally choose to not give a crap about anything I typed which didn't suit your silly argument ?

You're sitting outside on your deck, and your iPad is sitting on its dock. It's standing upward facing you, as is the camera... (because yes.. a camera on the rear WOULD be utterly retarded.. duh) Your girlfriend Skypes you from Paris and wants to have some video fun... *wink wink* And oh look ! It's a fully capable video camera on your iPad ! What a concept !

Stop... really.

Doug

Edit: Wow. Reading your post again, it amazes me that you'd even draw comparisons with a laptop in the first place, or even put a laptop in a scenario with a camera on it's outer shell. What were you thinking ?? That was really out there man....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.