• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's "Back to School" Promo to start June. 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Uhm, How will it work then. Because everyone could get a discount if no identification is needed online.

They base it off the honesty policy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
if you buy online no identification needed

Actually, when I ordered my MacBook online, I had use my University name and student number to get onto the education site.

Reaction score
Uhm ive just used my school name and its area. and it came up with the education store. Cool

OP
iApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Only $200 off the Mac Pro, the rest are only $100

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Im going to the University of Pittsburgh. And yoU?

I'll be majoring in Pre-Law/Political Science

University of Florida, if you couldn't tell from the name ha.

and exact same major career choice. my major is currently polisci also, but i think i am going to change it to business administration...then hopefully go to law school ha

Reaction score
guess im on the same boat as all of you.. im waiting for the promo too.. im moving to Florida from CT to go to Valencia... yeah its a community college but none anywhere around me offer a degree for music and sound technology :(

Reaction score
Uhm ive just used my school name and its area. and it came up with the education store. Cool

There is still a risk that they will call you and ask you to fax a ID card or letter/paper to them.

It has happened to people, so you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
If I just purchased my Macbook last weekend (like I haven't even gotten it yet) would I be able to purchase whatever the promo is offering at a later date and submit the two proofs of purchases and get the rebate, even if they're on different orders?

I doubt this would work, but if anyone knows from the last promo that'd be great, thanks!

Well.... I bought a Mac pro and a Macbook in August last year using the student discount (in the UK). Then 3 weeks later they introduced the offer of an iPod for £15. I rang up on the off chance and low and behold... They allowed me to take part in the offer (basically the offer was 4Gb video iPod for £15 or £84 off any iPod).

Reaction score
Ooo Macrumours just got updated with more info on the Back too school promotion... Wow.

[Apple is expected to launch its Back to School promotion tomorrow, and on the eve of its launch, we've learned that Apple is indeed going to be making it their biggest ever.

According to our sources, Apple will be offering a free 8GB iPod Touch ($299) to college students who buy a qualifying Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro). Alternatively, students may choose to get an 8GB iPod Nano ($199). The promotion will run from June 3 to September 15th, 2008.

With this aggressive promotion as well as the rumored 3G-capable iPhone launch, Apple is rapidly expanding their Touch OS X platform over the next few months, giving developers a large audience for their iTunes Store apps and games.

There remains one uncertainty, however. When Apple releases the 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch, iPod Touch owners will be required to pay a small fee for the upgrade. Customers who purchase an iPod Touch now may be required to pay this fee when the upgrade arrives in late June. More details may be available tomorrow or at WWDC next week.

Details of the Back to School promotion, including eligibility should be officially announced tomorrow. ]

Looks immense i hope im eligable, I live in the uk and ive just finished high school im going too college in september.. I want an ipod touch when i get my mac :). Hopefully this deal is with the apparantly updated macbooks and macbook pro's i can see it producing alot of sales for them if it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I'm getting a Macbook Pro and 3g iPhone here soon, so I guess I'll just sell the touch on ebay or something but thats awesome.

Reaction score
Lol seems stupid that they are offering a nano huh, People could just sell the ipod touch then just buy the nano lol with money leftover. But o well im not fussed, I'll probably keep the ipod touch might come in handy at college ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to get an iPhone half off as well or something like that. Who knows how that will work with their new pricing setup they are about to announce though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
You should be able to get an iPhone half off as well or something like that. Who knows how that will work with their new pricing setup they are about to announce though.

They just updated it. They say the $299 can be applied to a higher end iPod but not the iPhone. Howwever, this doesn't make much sense considering I could take the iPod touch sell it and put the money towards an iPhone, but I guess Apple just wants to make it harder for every1.

Reaction score
UPDATE: On itunes it just started but you cannot see it on the apple store yet! they will give you a free ipod with a mac, but its not good for me i have an ipod i just need the $200 off, will they still have the $200 off thing?

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its on the apple store now, free ipod, but first you pay for it then send in a rebate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Its on the apple store now, free ipod, but first you pay for it then send in a rebate.

It was like that on other iPod offers I've seen before - and the printer one was a rebate wasn't it?

Let's see if we get the same thing over here in the UK.

Reaction score
Certain qualifying macs are discounted at varying rates. For instance, the mbp is discounted by 200, while the mb is discounted by 100.

If you'd like, you can purchase either an 8g touch or an 8g nano and you will receive a rebate (that you have to send in) in order to make it free.

And I think you can still get a rebated printer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.