• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The Official: What do you want to see Apple do in 2004 Thread

W

wiggin1605

Well...i

I'd say more screen real-estate is good for any one who runs a lot of apps at once. An every day consumers do that. Right now i’m running three instant message programs, Apple works, an internet explorer at once it would be a lot better if I could see what was going on in all of them at once spread out on a bigger screen then to have them layered like they are now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Or designers.. when I was a designer, the bigger the screen.. the better, especially for magazine layouts or news layouts, etc etc. As long as whatever computer I was on could run the applications I needed and I had a big screen.. then all was good :)

J

JazzTrpt

wiggin1605 said:
I'd say more screen real-estate is good for any one who runs a lot of apps at once. An every day consumers do that. Right now i’m running three instant message programs, Apple works, an internet explorer at once it would be a lot better if I could see what was going on in all of them at once spread out on a bigger screen then to have them layered like they are now.

Hehehehe, although I'm guilty of multiple IM programs open at once, I don't think most normal consumers use more than on IM program at once. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
right now i have my 15" powerbook and 17" LCD hooked up yet I could still use another monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i have safari, iChat and iTunes(mini mode) on the 17" and then entourage and whatever else i am working on takes up the powerbook

W

wiggin1605

See

See every one can always use some more screen space.

An I wasnt impling that every one uses three ims at once it was just an example.

J

JazzTrpt

wiggin1605 said:
See every one can always use some more screen space.

An I wasnt impling that every one uses three ims at once it was just an example.

I guess everyone could ALWAYS use more screen space....it's just difficult to afford it.

J

JazzTrpt

wiggin1605 said:
So True. So True. So True.

Well, it's always fun to hook one's laptop up to an unsuspecting television and play games on it. Now THAT'S screen real estate.

W

wiggin1605

Nah

Most T.V.'s actually have a smaller resolution then a computer monitor. So says Screen Savers on Techtv that has to be the best channel ever besides the science channel. Only the picture is bigger i beleave so it makes it kinda fusy you dont get the detail like you would on a computer screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
wiggin1605 said:
Why would they put a G5 in a iMac? Look at the way they used there processors before with the G3 in the very first iMac and the G4 in the power macs. And now with the G3 completely gone and the G4 in the iMac and now the G5 as the power mac. The iMacs are the cheaper consumer based every day model, consumers are not going to need the power of a G5 chip in there computers when the G4 runs just fine for the software they run. The G5 is meant to be for professionals just look at all the professional apps they have already customized to take advantage of the 64 bit chip settings. Then look how they just got rid of the G3 in the iBooks and put the G4 in them. The G4 is now the every day consumer chip and the G5 is the professional chip. It is a lot more likely that they would put The G5 in a power book then put it in a iMac. In the future when every day programs become as processor intensive as the professional software today that is when they will upgrade the iMac to be fitted for a G5.

It is also pretty accurate to say that the powerbook G5 will be lunched in April I have gotten information from him before about upcoming products from apple an they have been accurate. He a developer for apple. Apple sends him products they are making for him to test an tell them about the bugs so they can fix it. he had a dual G5 two months before it came out.

I'm geussing it will be liquid cooled or that the front of it will look much like the G5 Xserve.

yeah, i agree and i understand your reasoning behing putting a G5 chip into the PowerBook before the iMac, but i don't think that your reasons are the biggest issues at hand. i have the G4 1.25Ghz PowerBook and it's a great computer, but the G4 chip has too many problems in a laptop. it eats up battery WAY TOO FAST, it gets hot WAY TOO FAST, now what do you think a G5 processor will do to a laptop? until they can find a way to put a dual G4 processor in a laptop efficiently, i don't think that a G5 laptop will come out. but Apple, just like any other money making company such as Micrsoft, could care less about what the consumer thinks. essentially, Apple will do whatever the heck they want, regardless of what we think, and try to make the most money they can by putting a G5 laptop out on the market knowing that it will have tons of problems.

W

wiggin1605

Yah well.....

Hey there are already 64-bit laptops out there. For instance I found these two this one http://www.gcn.com/22_33/prod_reviews/24227-1.html or this one http://www.voodoopc.com./systems/m855.aspx I think its the same though. granted the battery only last 2hrs an is pretty noisy, and ways as much as the the 17in PB. But its been out for two months now. If the G5 comes out in april apple will have worked on it for 5 months more then voodoo did and people are saysing that it will be in the 15in an 17in PB with liquid cooled processors making it really quite. Now the only thing I see them needing to make better is the battery power.

J

JazzTrpt

wiggin1605 said:
Hey there are already 64-bit laptops out there. For instance I found these two this one http://www.gcn.com/22_33/prod_reviews/24227-1.html or this one http://www.voodoopc.com./systems/m855.aspx I think its the same though. granted the battery only last 2hrs an is pretty noisy, and ways as much as the the 17in PB. But its been out for two months now. If the G5 comes out in april apple will have worked on it for 5 months more then voodoo did and people are saysing that it will be in the 15in an 17in PB with liquid cooled processors making it really quite. Now the only thing I see them needing to make better is the battery power.

Hm, yeah that's the only thing I'm kinda bummed about with my powerbook. Apple says that the battery should last 4.5 hours depending on use, but I guess that means if you just let it sit there doing nothing. All I'm doing is surfing the web and talking online and I get hardly 3 hours out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JazzTrpt how are you connected to the internet. Airport is one of the biggest power drainers so I only get 3.5 with airport but when i am just using ethernet i get well over 4 hours on battery. If you lower the brightness bout 4 notches (barely even noticeable difference) it adds a bunch to the battery life

J

JazzTrpt

trpnmonkey41 said:
JazzTrpt how are you connected to the internet. Airport is one of the biggest power drainers so I only get 3.5 with airport but when i am just using ethernet i get well over 4 hours on battery. If you lower the brightness bout 4 notches (barely even noticeable difference) it adds a bunch to the battery life

Well I use Airport at home, but I just got back to school and now I'm using ethernet or no internet at all and I'm getting about 3.5 hours. Thanks for the brightness tip...I'll check that out.

S

sLiCk_InCoNtRoL

Haaaaa

What we want frm apple is cheaper compters so people will buy ma instead of pc's! AND WEEEEE DEFINATELY NEED
A DUAL PROCESSOR iMAC G5!!!!!
IF APPLE FOLLOW MY ADVISE THEY CAN GET AHEAD OF BILL GATES!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
The optical elite by kensington is the one that I love :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.