• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The Official: What do you want to see Apple do in 2004 Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
witeshark said:
I'd very much like to see that - can you post a link?

Uh...no witeshark, these are things you "want to see Apple do in 2004", hence the thread name. These aren't things that exist.

F

forza

Implement full screen into Safari...

and I mean full screen, as in, the full screen, not maximized like the AppleScript / Bookmark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
G5 Powerbooks and cheaper iPods is all I ask for since those are the only two products I'll be buying in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
I'd like to see:
-Lower prices (obviously)
-G6 processor, so everything else could step up one level.
-faster, expandable iMacs/eMacs/iBooks/Powerbooks (ie: ability to add more RAM, storage, accelerators, and most importantly, GRAPHICS CARDS).
-Plasma displays. That way, the LCD displays would be cheaper.
-Larger displays.
-Faster superdrive.
-Apple-made sound recording and editing equipment (ie: MIDI, mixing board, digital preamp).
-DirectX, and the ability to design software for multiple platforms (ie: an XCode project would work on Window$ and Linux).
-More games, like that's ever going to happen.
-Built-in EyeTV
-Apple PDA

D

d4rr3n

I'd like to see:

-Much faster ram (or something with 2-2-2-5 timings)....ddr400 is getting old especially when people are running over ddr600 speeds 1:1 on amd64's and p4's.
-Reasonable prices: especially on upgrades, what they charge for dvd-r drives, video cards, and especially ram should be criminal....makes me wonder who is really more greedy M$ or $teve Job$
-A dual 3ghz G5 or leaks of specs on a G6.
-PCI-Express and the latest ati and nvidia video cards.
-Onboard audio equal to the nvidia soundstorm APU (with better DACS)
-A release of the pc version of os x they are holding onto.
-Honesty in their benchmarks :D

Oh, and trooper: plasma is a BAD idea for a compter monitor. They have terrible burn in issues.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Don't look for Apple producing OS X for the PCs. It would hurt them more than it would help them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
rman said:
Don't look for Apple producing OS X for the PCs. It would hurt them more than it would help them.
Besides which it essentially exists as FreeBSD, and closely with various distros of Linux :)

D

d4rr3n

Well if PearPC eventually becomes a useable product apple may have no choice but to release it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
d4rr3n said:
ddr400 is getting old especially when people are running over ddr600 speeds 1:1 on amd64's and p4's.
Those people are VERY few, and far between. Although you're right, some people do run higher than ddr400 i.e: DDR433, DDR466, DDR500, etc. The G6 will probably come with DDR-2 533mhz. That's my guess, hah.

Apple needs:
-Better video cards in powerbooks. The G5 has the 9800pro so that is fine. I hope the G5 powerbooks come stock with a 9700m and upgradeable to x800m. The G6 powermac will probably have x800XT PE or 6800 GT or next generation if it is delayed which it hope it will be.
-Lower prices a little bit, some of them are a bit unreal. Like for the 17" Powerbook, and Dual 2.5ghz G5. Doesn't bother me as I will never be buying super-high end in the forseeable future.

...and that's about it. I think ibooks should come stock with airport extreme next revision.

T

The mac 13

no new products,..

in singapore, recently, they had a microsoft nonsence camp..what they do is that a bunch of students had outdoors stuff and learnt microsoft software learning stuff like learning Microsfot publisher 20003 and microsoft Plus! digital media edition. they learnt creating cretificates and birthday cards. in total microsoft sinhgapore spent SGD22,000(ard 12,785.83 USD). and this course conducted by microsoft is FREE. waht i want is that apple have this type of camps. maybe learnt to use iLife and the basics of apple works, safari, iMail and panter. c, no point stevie(jobs) having campaings for windoze users to switch when he dont do anything to lil tots. maybe what he can do is that he have similar camps during the sch holidays teaching what i mention above for free. so by doing this, children will convince their parents to switch. the young are the future generations.by influencing young minds to switch, mac users will maybe 50%!

and also, i would like to c the educational advantages to be BETTER!!!in singapore, they are selling the iBooks 14" 1.2ghz at SGD2799++ but with educational advantage, its SGD2700..if the reduction is so low, WATS THE POINT? i just wanna c that it will be better..maybe fr SGD2700, it will be maybe SGD2600 or SGD2500 where it will cater better to students. NOW THATS WHAT I WANT!

D

d4rr3n

Mojo027 said:
Those people are VERY few, and far between. Although you're right, some people do run higher than ddr400 i.e: DDR433, DDR466, DDR500, etc.

Sure the people running over ddr600 is very few, but at least it is possible. There are however alot of people running faster than ddr400. The market for high speed ram and low latency ram is definitely booming. Too bad you can't use them in the G5. :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
d4rr3n said:
Oh, and trooper: plasma is a BAD idea for a compter monitor. They have terrible burn in issues.
Well exuuuuuuuuuuse meeeee!!!! Sorry I'm not a genius like you. I guess I'd also like them to cool down the G5, and offer a DVD+/-RW superdrive (although you can purchase external drives like that). BTW: Is it possible to burn DVD+R disks or DVD-RW disks in a superdrive, or just DVD-R?

D

d4rr3n

The Trooper said:
Well exuuuuuuuuuuse meeeee!!!! Sorry I'm not a genius like you. I guess I'd also like them to cool down the G5, and offer a DVD+/-RW superdrive (although you can purchase external drives like that). BTW: Is it possible to burn DVD+R disks or DVD-RW disks in a superdrive, or just DVD-R?

Wow, why did you take it like that lol. All i was saying was that plasmas have serious problems with static images being burned into the screen. Using one with a computer almost guarantees you will ruin. I was just pointing this out in case you or anybody else was considering using one.

I know for sure all the superdrives will do dvd-rw, dont know about dvd+r dvd+rw. I'm reading the specs on apple and it doesn't say, but according to pioneers website their 8x dvd burners will do dvd+r dvd+rw. I would think it could do it unless apple took measure to remove that ability, don't know for sure. :confused:

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
About OS X on the PC... Kevin Rose, host of "The Screen Savers" on G4techTV, posted something very interesting on his website...

Kevin Rose said:
Like most PC / *NIX users I'm an admitted MAC stalker. I read the rumor sites, I gaze at G5s through the Apple store glass and think someday..someday I will walk in and drop the cash.. Then I realize that would be foolish, and dream of days in which OS X will be ported to the x86 architecture. A dream that will hopefully someday come true..

Back when OS X was first created (from BSD) Apple realized that their current PowerPC architecture was sucking and decided to keep a current OS X port running on x86 machines (x86 instruction set = Intel, AMD for newbies). This project was codenamed 'Marklar' and currently employs about a dozen fulltime Apple programmers. Consider this Apple's backup plan should the PowerPC fail to keep up with Intel / AMD microprocessors. Of course Apple doesn't admit that the 'Marklar' program even exists, but I've heard differently.

URL here.

M

Matt

As little the chance may be, I would like apple to increase its market share to 10% or more, via lower prices, or a big breakthrough.

I like apple also because of its independance (because of its platform) and, if it changed to x86, would spoil its independance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This isn't gonna happen, The Mac platform is it's own unique and beautiful thing. There is no need for OS X on x86, what with Linux and BSD distros about

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
well i love linux and all but its just really confusing in when you start using it! You have too compile libraries, learn how to use the bash line, i mean, i wish it was mac easy. Mac is so easy, my friends 72 year old grandmother uses iChat! I wish they would come out with a Mac x86 distro but it aint gonna happen. If people switched over, then Mac would become a main target for hackers losing it security and relibility that we pride ourselves on. Ill stick to PearPC version 6 or something like that in the future.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
This isn't gonna happen, The Mac platform is it's own unique and beautiful thing. There is no need for OS X on x86, what with Linux and BSD distros about
You know Mac OS X is basicly BSD with Aqua, right?
And this could actually be true, as Apple did make OS X for X86, only released as a developer preview. It was called Rhapsody, and looked a lot like OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
You know Mac OS X is basicly BSD with Aqua, right?
And this could actually be true, as Apple did make OS X for X86, only released as a developer preview. It was called Rhapsody, and looked a lot like OS 9.
Yup, it's based on FreeBSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
beret9987 said:
If people switched over, then Mac would become a main target for hackers losing it security and relibility that we pride ourselves on.

well... mac cant really lose much of its security, the reason they target windows isnt really because there are more people, but because its a pain in the ass for mac. windows a child can do it and has done it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.