Will you buy an iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Nooo... Phones are cheaper when you sign up for a two year contract- so its, even more expensive if you can't renew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i voted no way. and here's why

1. its cingular.
2. its only 8gb (great for a phone, crappy for an ipod, will be more at launch i bet)
3. its 600$, oh lord.
4. and, battery life. i dont charge my cell everyday, and never plan to. with the ipod integration, this thing wont last the day for my needs.

just too many cons, mainly battery life, and cingular.

gotta love the sync capabilities though, thats tempting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained"

Let's keep in mind too, that even though there was a fancy Keynote about it... it hasn't been approved for sale or release yet. There still lies a possibility that it won't ever come out... at least not in the same fashion that was described in the Keynote.
"Technical specifications are subject to change. "

Technically, the iPhone is still a rumor... it was only confirmed that Apple wants to make one and has a prototype/idea with a potential partnership with Cingular. Nothing has been approved or finalized yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
In the Keynote, they said they had a "contract" between Cingular and Apple. I don't think they have the choice not to deliver. Also there is the fact that they have spent at least 2.5 years and countless millions of dollars in development. SOMETHING will come of it.

Reaction score
I will likely wait until the 2nd or 3rd generation before jumping in. Like any new technology, there will likely be UI issues, network issues, scratch issues, etc. Hopefully by that time (2008-2009) 3G will be affordable too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I have cingular, but my phone is only 6 months old and my ipod is only a year old so its sort of hard to justify. Maybe the second or third gen. though... its awful cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would but its way too expensive and cingular in the uk i dont know if it even exists over here so no. its way way way too expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
Hahaha!

One of the poll options should be:

$600? I dont know if I can afford that.

You have to admit, most people(80% of people) will not be able to afford it.

Suggestion: Like all apple products, they will have them at the apple stores, I highly suggest trying it out (look out for mobs of people). I will head to apple store SoHo or times square very shortly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
I originally voted that I would buy one and probably would have if they would have been available when I made that vote. I think maybe it was dumb of Apple to announce it when it isn't available for 6 months at the earliest.

In the next 6 months the hype will cool down and all of the impulse buyers like me will have time to change our minds. I think they maybe should have had an option to preorder the thing so that they could have locked in as many sales as they could. I certainly wouldn't have ordered it but maybe a few people would have.

This phone hits Asia in 08 and if it doesnt have seriously drastic changes (and I don't mean just a bigger hard drive) done to it by then it won't sell there. What is the market they want there? Nobody in China and India can afford one. As far as Japan goes they have always been 5 years ahead in phone technology. The Iphone is sexy but Japanese consumers have had access to great phones for ages I don't think they will be that impressed. By the time 08 rolls around the Iphone will be yesterdays news there. On the otherhand Japanese are used to paying outlandish prices and the $500 or whatever it is launched at there is no big deal.

Just my 2 cents

Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I originally voted that I would buy one and probably would have if they would have been available when I made that vote. I think maybe it was dumb of Apple to announce it when it isn't available for 6 months at the earliest.

It takes months to get FCC approval. If they didn't announce it before they submitted it to the FCC, the FCC would be the ones announcing the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
It takes months to get FCC approval. If they didn't announce it before they submitted it to the FCC, the FCC would be the ones announcing the iPhone.

That is true however the FCC would not have given the demo that Jobs did. Had the FCC announced it maybe it would have led to more hype up until it was ready to ship and then he could have done the demo the day it was ready to go out. I do understand what you are saying but can't help but think had Iphone been available at the time Jobs demonstrated what the Iphone does the number of sales would have been huge.

What is done is done though and it really doesn't matter. Despite my earlier comments i think the iphone will do well. Whether or not the sales will exceed stockholders' expectations is anybodies guess. If I knew the answer to that I would be rich by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nope. Apples choice to go with ONLY GSM and Cingular are deal breakers for me. Nice phone. but I can't stand Cingular and am happy with my current provider (Verizon).

Reaction score
Nah.

I'm also happy with my provided (Sprint) -- been with them over 1o years. Plus all the video stuff isn't of interest to me. I need a phone to make calls and receive calls. Not much more.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I have seen the Keynote speech and I have to say that I love the look of it.

The problems are

- It only has (currently) 8Gb memory. I would love to have one with a 30Gb memory, then I would buy it for sure.
- I will have to see who the partner is in the UK. I am with Vodafone and I don't really want to move away from them.
- The battery life seems a little poor at the moment. They MUST improve this.

Otherwise it is a great product, with the sweetest interface that I have ever seen.

Reaction score
I have to say that I'm going to have to get the iPhone... even though the price (8 gig $599) seems high. I've been with Cingular for a while now and I can't complain when it comes to service minus the fact that their data plans aren't all that great. T-mobile gets more for less when it comes to data plans (sidekick for example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.
I'm a crusty curmudgeon (at a young age) who gripped onto my trusty StarTac for years due to its reception quality- and then I switched to an E815 because it too has excelent reception.

I'm not a "phone as entertainment system" guy- I value reception and long battery life as priorities.

Having said that, I AM going to be in the market for some form of "smart phone" in the future, as my work schedule has changed to the point where one might be handy.

I will, however, most likely remain with Verizon, as they are pretty strong as a provider in rural areas where my business takes me too.

Rank this as a long-winded "not likely".
:tusks:

Reaction score
I will get one but I'll hold off for a few months and see how people react to it. I'm not crazy about using Cingular but again, Ill see what people say. I've used Verizon for years and have had no issues with them, BUT they are not perfect either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I chose No way! I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing. Which unfortunately is not my exact viewpoint but it's the only No.

I think it looks great - but I recently (last few months) switched to Three and I really love this 3G stuff. None of the other UK operators that offer 3g services offer as good a deal as Three in my opinion and I tend to make my phone decisions based on the network which offers me the best deal/package/what ever. If there's a 3G one of these babies when I come to renew my contract; well then that'd be a different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I would. But not going to for 3 reasons, the first being the main reason:
1. It would get destroyed in my pcket within a month
2. I have verizon, not cingular
3. I'm not spending $500 on a phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.