• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What's your favorite Windows error message?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
I got this in XP once.

"This program does not support this type of file. You can abort, or try to open the file, which will cause your computer to crash.

What do you want to do?"

...What do you think?!

Although not as funny, I was lucky enough to get a screenshot of this one, before abesently clicking OK.

Mind you, I don't take screenshots of every error message, this one just caught my eye for some reason.(It was that last line that made me laugh for some reason...I guess you had to be there :)

desprate.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i remember seeing this message on a school computer once...

Keyboard not found, press any key to continue

How do i do that???

I have seen that many times especially on older PC's. Agreed, how do you press a key? There ARE NO KEYS!! :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
I think the old "You performed an illegal operation" were pretty good, but my favourite has to be the "end programme" message which comes up when you shut down and some programs still havent closed down properly. I always end up shouting at the screen:
"YES CLOSE THE PROGRAM!, THATS THE POINT OF SHUTTING DOWN!!! WHY ARE YOU EVEN ASKING ME THIS!!!! YOU CANT EVEN RUN PROGRAMS WHEN A COMPUTER IS SHUT DOWN!!!!! WHY WOULD I WANT TO KEEP A PROGRAM RUNNING WHEN IM SHUTTING DOWN!!!!!!????/"

Windows is so stupid.

And of course the error in memory address x186cc9x60796078x609712y21076. So im now supposed to open up my ram and using an atom-microscope figure out where that address is in the ram, figure out what its set to, learn all of the windows code and then figure out what caused it and how to rectify it. OR they could have just had a proper error-message system, such as "this program has crashed because of x & y" then i could fix the problem.

And then windows asks you to spend time sending THEM an error report. Great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
that "windows has performed an illegal operation" line scared when i was younger i thought i was going to have the police come round or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
A new security system was put onto our network that doesn't let you access the internet unless you have an antivirus installed and all critical windows updates downloaded.

This forced me to download the one "critical" update that I tend to ignore: Internet Explorer 7.
^ Of course this meant that I had to restart my computer. After restarting, the security software again told me that I couldn't use the internet because of "CRITICAL WINDOWS UPDATES." I thought, "What updates? I just downloaded the only one." Ta da! There's like 4 critical updates for Internet Explorer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
One of my favorites has always been (paraphrasing):

Internal error at 0000000x5cde; the file could not be "read".

Yes the quotation marks are intentional. Just what I need; my Windows machine throwing air-quotes at me. Of course, since Microsoft always has its own proprietery implementation of everything (including Kerberos, for pity's sake), it's no wonder Windows seems to have its own proprietery way to "read" a file.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
A new security system was put onto our network that doesn't let you access the internet unless you have an antivirus installed and all critical windows updates downloaded.

This forced me to download the one "critical" update that I tend to ignore: Internet Explorer 7.
^ Of course this meant that I had to restart my computer. After restarting, the security software again told me that I couldn't use the internet because of "CRITICAL WINDOWS UPDATES." I thought, "What updates? I just downloaded the only one." Ta da! There's like 4 critical updates for Internet Explorer!

This begs me to ask the question. If the updates to IE 7 were so "critical", then why weren't they updated into your initial download? It seems that the Microsoft folks want to annoy you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
"Would you like to report this problem to Microsoft...blah, blah, blah. We won't be able to do anything about it but it will help us....."

Can you imagine how many bajillions of reports are actually sent to Microsoft on a daily basis? I mean, seriously, does anyone think (or did Microsoft once think) that someone would actually even look at a fraction of these things and attempt to decipher them? I'd love to meet the genius that thought that this would be a beneficial feature to ANYONE.

Reaction score
the illegal operation thing is very funny, but what it means by 'illegal' is actually against operation rules I suppose

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
328952567_16ba8755f7_o.jpg

Reaction score
I always loved: A fatal exception has occurred.

Although my mom once asking me whether "you are about to save changes to the global template" meant she would affect all the computers in the world is a close second.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I like the one that tells me I've just plugged a USB 2 device into a USB 1 port and then suggests I plug it into a USB 2 port when I don't have any! Would it be beyond the abilities of the OS to actually check if I have any first?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Can you imagine how many bajillions of reports are actually sent to Microsoft on a daily basis? I mean, seriously, does anyone think (or did Microsoft once think) that someone would actually even look at a fraction of these things and attempt to decipher them? I'd love to meet the genius that thought that this would be a beneficial feature to ANYONE.

Several times I've used this feature and received a link to a solution that fixed the problem right away, something I've never been able to do when a program on a Mac "unexpectedly quits" because of an "unknown error". This whole thread makes me laugh b/c one of my biggest complaints about a Mac is the vauge error messages. I'd type more but I have to go help a Mac user whose Illustrator keeps quitting. No error messages, it's just quitting. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
I know what you mean, but it tends to be the program rather than the OS in my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
the illegal operation one is pretty weird lol.

my favorite is probs (or most hated) - would you like to send an error report ?

i mean they must get millions of them and how can they ever use them !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
the illegal operation one is pretty weird lol.

my favorite is probs (or most hated) - would you like to send an error report ?

i mean they must get millions of them and how can they ever use them !

They don't, that's why not much is ever fixed in Windows. :p

Reaction score
yesterday a friend called me to come look at her computer because she thought it was broken. I got there and turned it on, before windows booted i got this:

Cannot boot Windows because the following file is either missing or corrupted.

/windows/system32/system/[some inane but important system file]

Please insert your Windows XP installation disc and press 'R' to repair this problem.

My friend asked "Is that bad?"
I couldn't help but laugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I only got the Program performed an illegal operation and Program not responding.

The worst is when you click end program atleast 20 times and the bleeping thing wouldn't close.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.