What you would add to the iPad?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
At this point what I would most like to add to the iPad is . . . my hot little hands. :Smirk:

Sorry! Patience has never been one of my strong points.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There are soem catholics who go to the coffession booth and tell the priest "forgive me father for I am about to sin". That's so silly. Why confess a sin you have not done yet. The smart thing would be to not do such sin you know you want to do. Prevention is better than the cure.

And how this relates to the above post is this. You know you did a wrong and saying "I shouldn't do this" But I will. Maybe you shouldn't actually do it :).
[end sarcasm]

Seriously there have been hints of video chat for the ipad for ages and ages. And are you leaving out the ipod touch users. They would want video chat too. And if you want the games to begin then sure. But I'm for the time being on the side against a camera in an ipad. Strongly against.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
There are soem catholics who go to the coffession booth and tell the priest "forgive me father for I am about to sin". That's so silly. Why confess a sin you have not done yet. The smart thing would be to not do such sin you know you want to do. Prevention is better than the cure.

And how this relates to the above post is this. You know you did a wrong and saying "I shouldn't do this" But I will. Maybe you shouldn't actually do it :).
[end sarcasm]

Seriously there have been hints of video chat for the ipad for ages and ages. And are you leaving out the ipod touch users. They would want video chat too. And if you want the games to begin then sure. But I'm for the time being on the side against a camera in an ipad. Strongly against.

I agree with you on all counts.:D

Clay

Reaction score
Personally I'd like on v2 or 3 of the ipad:

1. An ipen with handwriting to text technology. So I can take notes with a pen on the ipad and it all saved as a text document.
2. USB just so it's easy to get data on and off the things.
That's it really. I think the Ipad is pretty good as it is now.

To the orininal poster.
According to the Apple website the ipad can handle video H.264 video up to 720p. That is not the 1080 which is considered HD these days. So you'd need a HD capable screen first before the blu ray player made any sense at all.
1) There is already a third party app for iphone/ipod touch/ipad that does handwriting recognition. I use it on iphone and it works ok, but the larger screen of ipad will make it much more useful.

2) i agree with wish for usb port, but i can get by with the dongle version that has been announced by apple.

Reaction score
1) There is already a third party app for iphone/ipod touch/ipad that does handwriting recognition. I use it on iphone and it works ok, but the larger screen of ipad will make it much more useful.

What is the name of the app please? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think it would be great if it could be used as a secondary monitor at times for the MB/MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well look back. Only 10 years ago 1024x768 would have been considered a good resolution. One of the best. I'm sure if it only showed part of the screen of the MB/MPB and you could scroll accross to see the rest fo the scrteen it'd work just fine. Plus as a basic remote desktop for some basic tasks it's work ok too.

It's not perfect but it's get soem jobs done.

Reaction score
Well look back. Only 10 years ago 1024x768 would have been considered a good resolution. One of the best. I'm sure if it only showed part of the screen of the MB/MPB and you could scroll accross to see the rest fo the scrteen it'd work just fine. Plus as a basic remote desktop for some basic tasks it's work ok too.

It's not perfect but it's get soem jobs done.

What is wrong with you guys? :Oops:

What would be the point to have a second screen for laptops that is smaller that the one of a laptop? Seems to me that you are trying to find whatever ridiculous idea to justify the existence of the iPad. Just go buy it, it's ok, nobody will be mad at you :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heck no. For me the ipad already has so much going for it. I just thought up yet another way to utilise it. And I don't need to justify a reason for the ipad to be in existance. Jons already did that quite well in the keynote.

Mad at the people who buy ipads? I think not. Envious/jealous maybe :)

Reaction score
What is the name of the app please? :D

The handwriting recognition app for iphone that I mentioned is WritePad. The basic text editor costs 1.99, but there is a pro version for 9.99. The same developer sells several other special purpose apps using the WritePad handwriting recognition engine. The other app you might want to look at is Dragon Dictation, which works pretty good for voice recognition considering it's running on a phone processor.

Reaction score
Opinion

Personally I think this is device which open a new range of possibilities. If we stuck in laptops we will have only laptops in the future. Do you want that? I think you don't. So this is a door, which I personally accept since it is Jobs who takes the risk, for our future's (and his wallet's) shake XD.

Actually I think the risk is very small. I hava had an ipod for 1 year and a half and one month ago I started to discover new apps. I am hooked with a new card game (urban rivals) and it is for free. Facebook is much better now with the 3.0 SO the independent newspaper update itself all the news, so now I can switch on with 2 swipes of my finger, and in 1 or 2 minutes(while putting on my clothes) it is ready just in case i am curious on the go without wifi.

I am thinking that apps now need more space. they could be much better, faster. be could have great encyclopedias with videos at the moment if or finger desire it. we could tap a word, as i do now, and look for its english definition. ipad will be absolutely great.

This is not a laptop. we don't need remove our mac pro's keyboard hard drivers mouse etc etc to plug these into our ipad. Ipad is fast!! we don't have time to lose. you are tired after work/studying, you take your boots off and lie down to your coach. you can turn on your telly if you don't have a partner to be talking as background, and surf the web, play, read the news, a book...

It has a great future. I can't wait to see the new apps. In one year you all will thank Jobs to do it possible...

My opinion.

PS: sorry for my English!!

Reaction score
I FORGOT TO TALK ABOUT WHAT I WOULD ADD!

I would add compatibility with my apple remote. I haven't got a macbook, and it would be great to watch some episodes before sleep in a hotel or to change the song you are listening to. and the doc I think is better in the longer side, because in this hotel you could watch something in "panoramic" not portrait", without using the battery, plugged on the dock.

As for the multitask, it would be OK (if it actually doesn't cut battery life) but any app could have the things you need. If you want to reed a book and have a place to take notes, I think it is a good idea and these kind of things we could see soon. One app to read books with the possibility of tauch somewhere and open a notebook.

I would like to see a dictionary a customizable list of words on the right. bookmarks, history..if I touch one of these words, a new "window" could open with the word definition with examples, usage, and pictures, and if i touch it 2 times it vanishes. It would be great!

In addition I saw a poscast where one guy told that iPad is a product to consume. not to produce (only if you buy the keyboard). And I totally agree with it. Don't get me wrong, this is positive. We are going to surf the web, play etc like never before. For example I don't play much my xbox because it takes too much time to start playing. with it i will play more because it will be very fast to start to play. Nothing to do with the masterpieces of xbox, but i will play more times, i know.

In every aspect ipad will be different.

I want to resist 1 year to buy it, but if the apps are good since the very beginning.... I can't wait to see it on my coach in my return home. Even I will spend more time with my family because I dont have to stay in my room anymore.

Webcam would be good, but in my case I wouldn't use it and I prefer to pay less money XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At this point what I would most like to add to the iPad is . . . my hot little hands. :Smirk:

Sorry! Patience has never been one of my strong points.

Great line still laughing. Me too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where do I Start! How about Latest Purchase iPad 32gig WiFi, 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro,No more Room?
Pin Connector on Side

I see these nice Docks one with the Keyboard built in...How nice would it have been to have a dock connector on the side of the iPad to hold it in landscape mode while you Charge, type, view movies, etc. Oh well 2nd Gen!!

Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air and iMac 7.1
freehand notes and wireless to projector

I am a graduate student and university instructor, so I want an iPad that is my mobile companion for research and teaching. For research, I want to be able to take freehand notes like I do on books I own and copies of articles. That way I can save myself the printing and save the world some paper. Typing notes, especially without a traditional keyboard, is cumbersome and slows down my research. I want something better than the preview note feature on OS10. I want my notes to save as an overlay on a .pdf or .docx. This would require some type of fine-point stylus.

As an instructor, I want to be able to move about my classroom and be amongst my students while instructing, but I still want to use keynote or powerpoint or word or the internet while so doing. I'd like the iPad to wireless send my presentation to the projector (or the desktop in the classroom attached to the projector) and then I'd like to be able to freehand manipulate my presentation like I can with a smartboard (which again will require a stylus).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My hands as soon as I can get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
i would add another home button on the "top". Often times, im watching netflix or abc in bed and i cant tell which side is which so I have to feel around for the home button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.