What you would add to the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2GB 500GB Serial ATA Drive 7200 rpmSuperDrive
2. More than 64GB flash drive Capacity: The iPad Tablet needs more capacity if it is going to compete with Netbooks and eReaders.
No it doesn't.

I watched the keynote and saw it was using 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive. That is the same as the tiny iPod, weak. A 120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive is superior in every way. The iPad Tablet has potential as a professional device. In the professional world even 64GB won't cut it.

3. USB Port: The iPad Tablet needs direct attachment to a mouse, keyboard, hard drives, thumb drives, and other external devices.
No it doesn't. You really have NO idea of what this device is about, frankly. You're mistaking it for a laptop. It's not one.

The iPad Tablet is not an iPhone. It is a device in a category between a iPhone and a MacBook. You are looking only at one of its "parents." Yes, the iPhone has not changed much but the MacBook has. With the MacBook, MacBook Air, and Macbook Pro; There is much change. In the keynote Jobs said that in the PC world, netbooks are the crapy devices in between a smart phone and laptop. But the iPad Tablet would change that for the better. The iPad would be that in between, so that makes me think you really have NO idea of what this device is about. Yes, the iPad Tablet is a consumer device. But with the LifeBook T4310, Armor X10, Samsung Q1UP-V, and many more aiming at killing the iPad Tablet, maybe that should change. Or maybe Apple should just keep the hardware the same. Yeah, that makes alot of sense.

Regardless, people will use the iPad Tablet however they want. Personally, I will use it at work. The iPad Tablet is a perfect product for me because it is a mobile device with the perfect sized display that I can use at work to keep digital notes (that I can sync with my Mac), write papers, create presentations & spreadsheets, keep all my Technical Manuals; Army Training and Evaluation Program's; Field Manuals; and Army Regulation's digitally on hand. It is perfect for traveling with its long battery life and mobile design.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
None of those are what I would call in-between devices.

LifeBook T4310 - Price $1200-$1300 vs $500 starting price. It's just a mini-notebook. I can't really use another notebook. This type of device wouldn't get any of my money, unless I was purchasing it as my only notebook computer. 4.5 hrs battery life vs. 10 hours. Weight they don't list, my best guess, it's in the same neighborhood as the:

ArmorX10 at 5.2 lbs vs 1.5 lbs; 3 1/2 times the weight of the iPad. Don't think there are many people that want to be holding 5+ lbs in one hand for very long periods of time. Once again starting price is at the $1100 vs $500 mark. Still not a device I would buy except as my only notebook.

Q1UP-V: as for it being an iPad killer, it's not even being manufactured by Samsung any longer. I sure wouldn't purchase one. Samsung has this nasty habit of not providing any replacement parts for devices once they quit manufacturing them making their warrantees virtually worthless. They do have two new devices that can compete with the iPad. The starting price for their 2 models: $750 & $900 vs $500. 60Gb drives, similar weight at approx 1.5 lbs, 3.5 - 4.5 hr battery vs 10 hr, wireless g instead of n speeds. Neither one of them have any of the extras you seem to be looking for either. And sorry, if it was the best device in the world, Samsung can't have any of my money, period. They have absolutely the worst customer service in the electronics industry. As hard as it is to get support out of them for a broken remote, TV, DVR, etc. under warranty; I can only imagine how bad it would be for a computer. Samsung does make some nice equipment, only because the money that should be going to support their customer base goes instead into more R&D. They need to learn how to do both.

You're still wanting Apple to come out with a device which the iPad is not, a netbook with touch screen, full blown OS, built in keyboard and all the ports that go along with it and weighing in at the same 1.5 lbs and at $500. ???? You folks must be living in 2020 instead of 2010. Today's technology is not going to provide such a device at that price point.

Maybe some folks just don't have any comprehension of technology and the cost related to R&D to put out a new device.

All of you need to be thankful there were enough of us back in '81-'82 that bought into the TI-99. Even more of us bought into the Commodore and Amiga through the 80's. Then we bought into the x86 form factor. I remember when the 100Mhz CPU was considered an amazing technological product.

According to many of your thought processes though, we were cheated back then. We should have waited another 27 years for the core i7 before we bought a computer. If all of us in those days had decided to wait, guess what, computers would not be in everyone's home today. They would still be relegated to the server farms and way too expensive for any of us mere peons to afford. Yes, you all should be thankful that us old codgers have been cheated for going on 30 years now so that you are able to enjoy the technology that exists today.

edit: While I'm at it; thanks to you folks that invested in Apple in years gone by while I was striding by those aisles in the stores with my nose in the air harumphing at it's inability to play the latest game I wanted. Of course I was heading for the aisle with the new video cards. My old video card (which I'd paid $300-500 only 9 months before and was now only $100) couldn't play that game either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2GB 500GB Serial ATA Drive 7200 rpmSuperDrive
ArmorX10 at 5.2 lbs vs 1.5 lbs; 3 1/2 times the weight of the iPad. Don't think there are many people that want to be holding 5+ lbs in one hand for very long periods of time.

If you can't hold 5 lbs upright for long periods of time, then you might want to hit the gym little guy. Really, I mean REALLY. Look, I am saying I want a iPad Tablet 3.24'' longer, 1.46'' wider, 0.26'' thicker, and 1.5 lbs heavier. With a big beautiful 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy (antiglare optional) Widescreen Multi-Touch display, 1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive, 9400M graphics processor, Integrated 40-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, a freaking camra, and a freaking USB 2.0 port (for all my noncloud, nonwireless, and nonbluetooth devices). O yes, and a full blown OS (OS X Snow Leopard modified and integrated as a Multi-touch OS). All that in only 3 lbs, just for you bobtomay. Most people I know would buy a beautiful device like that.

Think different

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And you still want a device that does not exist from any electronics manufacturer. I doubt there will be such a device at that weight for another 5 years.

Hopes and dreams for future devices are all well and good. Dissing one device because it's still not what you want, while pointing to other manufacturers creating similar devices that are double the weight while only half the size you're asking for, well...

The device you want is already here - reminded of it by Kash, thanks - ModBook - getting that device down to even 3 lbs... my guess, at least 5 years if not more. Getting that device down to 3 lbs and $500, yep you're in 2020 instead of 2010.

edit: 3 lbs is still too heavy for the type of device and use Apple is gearing the iPad market toward. At 3 lbs, think of a hard backed 4" thick dictionary. No one is going to want to hold that weight in one hand for long periods of time for surfing the web, reading a book, checking email or most of the other things the iPad is being geared toward right now. At 1.5 lbs, now you're talking about the weight of many standard hardback books. This is an acceptable weight to the vast majority of folks, even the 70 yr old grandmother.

Expecting a manufacturer to not put out a 1st gen device and just wait until the 5th gen or 10th gen before it's available for sale so that it has everything on it anyone could ask for, really is unrealistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you still want a device that does not exist from any electronics manufacturer. I doubt there will be such a device at that weight for another 5 years.

Hopes and dreams for future devices are all well and good. Dissing one device because it's still not what you want, while pointing to other manufacturers creating similar devices that are double the weight while only half the size you're asking for, well...

All the dimensions and hardware I gave are from the MacBook Air. The hardware and even the design are here (present), not there (future). To modified and integrated OS X as a Multi-touch OS would not be difficult for Apple.

Think different

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think different

That's exactly what the iPad is - different - so why try to make it into what we all know as a computer?

Personally, I think there are enough of those out there already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
All the dimensions and hardware I gave are from the MacBook Air. The hardware and even the design are here (present), not there (future). To modified and integrated OS X as a Multi-touch OS would not be difficult for Apple.

Think different

And If your spec were used we would be right here with a thread about how Apple screwed up by not putting a optical drive in it ! Oh and lets not forget that it
"runs too hot i cant put it on my lap"

Come on people it is (will be ) what they designed it to be and if thats not not what you want then dont buy one.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's exactly what the iPad is - different - so why try to make it into what we all know as a computer?

Personally, I think there are enough of those out there already.

The iPad is a tablet. A tablet is a tablet/slate-shaped mobile computer device, equipped with a touchscreen or stylus. It is the design and features, not the tech specs that distinguish a tablet from a computer as we know it.

A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format. The major catagories of consumer computers are desktop computer, laptop computer, netbook computer, and wow this is crazy the tablet computer (there are tablet/laptop hybrids). The iPad Tablet is a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Complete list of computer categories (have fun :D):

upercomputer, which include the class:
- Minisupercomputer
Mainframe computer
Rackmount/Framemount computer
Minicomputer, which include the class:
- Superminicomputer
- Minicluster (SFF / ITX)[1]
- Server
- Workstation
Microsoft Surface
Deskside computer
Microcomputer, which include the classes:
- Personal computer
-- Desktop computer
-- Home computer
Cart computer
Blade server
Blade PC
Portable computer
Small form factor personal computer (SFF, ITX, DTX...etc.)
Mobile computers, which include the classes:
- Desktop replacement computer or desknote
- Laptop computer
- Tablet personal computer
- "slabtop" computers including "word-processing keyboards" and the TRS-80 Model 100
- Subnotebook computer, also known as a Kneetop computer; clamshell varieties may also be known as minilaptop or ultraportable laptop computers
- Handheld computers, which include the classes:
- Ultra-Mobile personal computer
- Personal digital assistant or enterprise digital assistant, which include:
-- Handheld PC or Palmtop computer
-- Pocket personal computer
- Electronic organizer
- Pocket computer
- Calculator, which includes the class:
-- Graphing calculator
-- Scientific calculator
-- Programmable calculator
-- Accounting / Financial Calculator
- Handheld game console
- Portable media player
- Portable data terminal
- Information appliance
-- Q Smartphone,(QWERTY Smartphone) a class of mobile phone
-- Smartphone, a class of mobile phone
- Wearable computer
Single board computer
Wireless sensor network components
Plug computer
Microcontroller
Smartdust
Nanocomputer
Microsoft Sphere (which are pretty kool)

Reaction score
If you can't hold 5 lbs upright for long periods of time, then you might want to hit the gym little guy. Really, I mean REALLY. Look, I am saying I want a iPad Tablet 3.24'' longer, 1.46'' wider, 0.26'' thicker, and 1.5 lbs heavier. With a big beautiful 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy (antiglare optional) Widescreen Multi-Touch display, 1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive, 9400M graphics processor, Integrated 40-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, a freaking camra, and a freaking USB 2.0 port (for all my noncloud, nonwireless, and nonbluetooth devices). O yes, and a full blown OS (OS X Snow Leopard modified and integrated as a Multi-touch OS). All that in only 3 lbs, just for you bobtomay. Most people I know would buy a beautiful device like that.

Think different

It sounds great but then you will have to pay some big bucks for that in the present market and oh wait your battery life will be reduced significantly...as far as the camera? Personally im not one to have my mug broadcast during a video conference...and im certainly not going to hold this thing up and tell someone to say cheese..REALLY??!! not for me no thanks. a larger screen would be awesome...preferrably a widescreen version....but again battery life would suffer. Battery technology just hasnt caught up to our needs/wants and technology in general and that is the present bottle neck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
My MBP is my iPad :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds great but then you will have to pay some big bucks for that in the present market and oh wait your battery life will be reduced significantly...as far as the camera? Personally im not one to have my mug broadcast during a video conference...and im certainly not going to hold this thing up and tell someone to say cheese..REALLY??!! not for me no thanks. a larger screen would be awesome...preferrably a widescreen version....but again battery life would suffer. Battery technology just hasnt caught up to our needs/wants and technology in general and that is the present bottle neck.

True the battery life would suffer, I completely agree. Using my specs, I would want Apple to work on extending the battery life before coming out with the iPad/MBA hybrid, I was talking about. But I disagree with the price. If Apple could bring the battery life up at least 6 hours, I would happy with it. I would pay 1,199.00 or so for a iPad/MBA hybrid, as it were.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Think different

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but. . .

In case you forgot, the MacBook Air is (base price w/o tax) $1500. Yeah. . . I really don't think you can add everything the MacBook Air has, give it a highly advanced touch screen and slap a $500 sticker price on it.

It's just not possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found what I was looking for. The ModBook and ModBook Pro from Axiotron :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd be happy with a web cam so my mother-in-law could use it to chat with us. Other than that, just some multitasking or some variation of OS X 10.5 or 10.6 that would let me run a few simple non-AppStore consumer applications. Otherwise it seems fine for it's intended purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac (Mid-2007), 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard.
More storage on the base model and just one USB port. It fits my purpose in every other way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I found what I was looking for. The ModBook and ModBook Pro from Axiotron :D

Considering a 17 inch Macbook Pro is cheaper then the modbook and modbook pro. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.