• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Using the word "Gay" as a negative adjective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Its ignorant to assume that everyone you hear use the word gay, means it in a derogatory sense towards homosexuals.

One of my best friends is gay and like others have said, he uses the word gay to describe things frequently. I'm sure that there are some people that use it in a derogative sense, but not everyone does. I would assume most people use the word without thinking twice about the meaning it could entail. Personally it doesn't bother me that people use gay to describe an event or object.

No it's not ignorant. It's ignorant to use the word as a negative adjective, but that's just my opinion.

They may not be bigots if they truly don't understand the link, but they are ignorant if they don't understand the context of words they use...that is the definition of ignorance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Its ignorant to assume that everyone you hear use the word gay, means it in a derogatory sense towards homosexuals.

One of my best friends is gay and like others have said, he uses the word gay to describe things frequently. I'm sure that there are some people that use it in a derogative sense, but not everyone does. I would assume most people use the word without thinking twice about the meaning it could entail. Personally it doesn't bother me that people use gay to describe an event or object.

Various people have brought up this point, but at what point has anyone in this thread indicated that we were assuming every time someone says gay that they were using it as a derogative? The whole point of this thread is to discuss when it IS used as a derogative... I am well aware that gay is not always used in a negative form, but that is not what I am talking about, I am talking about when it is...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Various people have brought up this point, but at what point has anyone in this thread indicated that we were assuming every time someone says gay that they were using it as a derogative? The whole point of this thread is to discuss when it IS used as a derogative... I am well aware that gay is not always used in a negative form, but that is not what I am talking about, I am talking about when it is...

I agree that it shouldn't be used in a derogative way towards homosexuals. Not that any of my gay friends would think being called gay was an insult anyway. There is nothing wrong with being gay. They are just being themselves and they are proud of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
Also i think the "n-word" is a whole other issue and should never be used. Just my thoughts.

I agree with you whole heartedly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
I've heard that one for years. I don't think it's appropriate to use when describing an object or event.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.