• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Using the word "Gay" as a negative adjective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah the majority of your rights are taken away as a child anyway, once you enter school jurisdiction even more are peeled off your now naked body that was once covered in nice warm rights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
To be blunt, it's a word. Get over it. Lots of words are used as a derogatory that are not, by definition, derogatory. This is what the real world is like. If you are going to let some pinhead using a simple word get you all bent out of shape you are in for a rough time.

OP
macinjosh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2.5 gb ram, 80 gb hd, 120 gb external drive,10.5...8 gb iPod Touch
Sorry.

To be blunt, it's a word. Get over it. Lots of words are used as a derogatory that are not, by definition, derogatory. This is what the real world is like. If you are going to let some pinhead using a simple word get you all bent out of shape you are in for a rough time.

Im not upset just about a word and I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. I'm upset with the way people discriminate against people and have no respect for other people in my school. I'm just figuring out my life, my life decisions, and point of views on big topics in our lives. I'm definitely not going to use this as an excuse, but you have to understand that I go to a private school and everyone has the same basic POV's and opinions on a lot of things. Its just hard the cope with them, heck its just hard to cope with people in general. And yes, I have learned a lesson from this thread and thank everyone for their input. I'm sorry for this stupid thread, I just needed to vent from the people at my school. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was neither a stupid nor wasted thread if you learned something from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Personally, I think there are three definitions of the word "gay". We speak English, words with multiple meanings are a commonplace.

1. The original meaning - carefree.
2. Homosexual
3. Crap, lame, bad. When I say "gay" as a negative adjective, I mean these words. Absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality.

Very subjective topic though. I'll continue using the word because it, for me, doesn't have any connotations to homosexuality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
For the record, using it at Mac-Forums in the context of #3 above will get you in trouble here. Just wanted to make that clear. It falls right under rule #1 at Mac-forums:

Community: At Mac-Forums.com, we strive to provide a safe, comfortable atmosphere for members of any age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. Do not engage in personal bickering or flaming; remember to treat all posters how you would want to be treated. Lewd or offensive posts, signatures, or avatars are not permitted.

Also, just to throw in my two cents, people who use gay to mean stupid are no better in my book than those who run around using the "n" word to describe black people or those who hate Jewish people, etc. etc. It just demonstrates you're a bigot.

Using gay to mean derogatory is an innately homophobic and hate-mongering thing to do whether you purposely are doing it or it's just innate.

How many of you who think it's ok to call something "gay" also would thing it's ok to use the "n" word or to call Chinese people "chinks"? Just curious, because it's really not that different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using the phrase "That car looks Gay" in quite a bit different than using the N word in reference to a person. To be honest, if a black person calls me the N word it is considered a compliment (I am white btw) and a sign of friendship (I have a co-worker/friend who does this). It's all in the context of the word. I will also add that my wife's boss is gay and calls lots of things "gay"as a derogatory. I know any number of Jewish people who have no problem with being referred to as "Jew".

I think we, as a society, have become to worried about words and their potential meaning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using the phrase "That car looks Gay" in quite a bit different than using the N word in reference to a person.

Ok so let's try it this way,

How about "that car looks...

- african
- n-word
- black
- etc..."

Would it be appropriate to use any of those in that context meaning negatively?

You view calling a black person the n-word as being derogatory, but using gay as a negative adjective is doing pretty much the same thing to another group of people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
How many of you who think it's ok to call something "gay" also would thing it's ok to use the "n" word or to call Chinese people "chinks"? Just curious, because it's really not that different.

I think it's OK to say pretty much anything. It's also OK to be offended or insulted by it, just like it's OK to not be. It is just a word after all, and it'll only have power until we get over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said I viewed the use of the N word in relation to a black person as derogatory. It all depends on the context in which it is used. As I stated above, it can be used as a positive term depending on how it is used and who uses it. I can refer to my friend as "My N-Word" (and he does to me) with no fear of him becoming upset or being offended. It is a term of friendship between us. And lets be honest, if the car IS Black, then referring to it as black is not an issue.

Depending on the car in question, using any of those adjectives you listed above might be appropriate and I have heard people use them to describe things like cars in the past.

You may view this differently, and that is fine.

I think it's OK to say pretty much anything. It's also OK to be offended or insulted by it, just like it's OK to not be. It is just a word after all, and it'll only have power until we get over it.

Well said!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are correct, you can say anything you wish. However your words and choice thereof define you as a person.

If you choose to speak in a way that is completely ignorant, than that is the person you portray to the world. ;)

Like it or not words have power, they always have. You can pretend they don't to make yourself feel better for using derogatory language, but it doesn't change the fact words always have and always will affect people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are correct, you can say anything you wish. However your words and choice thereof define you as a person.

If you choose to speak in a way that is completely ignorant, than that is the person you portray to the world. ;)

A true statement. However, don't assume that I walk around using racial slurs or derogatory racial or other comments (with the exception of the word "Gay") simply because I defend the context of certain words and how they may be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A true statement. However, don't assume that I walk around using racial slurs or derogatory racial or other comments (with the exception of the word "Gay") simply because I defend the context of certain words and how they may be used.

No, I know you well enough to know you don't do that. :)

My comment is more general, not necessarily aimed at one particular person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Like it or not words have power, they always have. You can pretend they don't to make yourself feel better for using derogatory language, but it doesn't change the fact words always have and always will affect people.

This is completely true. However, I find even the notion that speech should be restricted to be repugnant. A taboo on a word bears no change on it's intent after all. Words will always have power, but it is we that grant it that power, as there is no intrinsic 'power' to any of those words. This changes over time. What we as a society finds insulting has changed drastically even in the last 30 years. Really, even in the last decade. In the long run there are plenty of words we use daily that once were completely shocking, then there are words that once had far less meaning than they do now.

My point is this, there are times I INTEND to offend. There are times people NEED to be offended. Challenge of ones beliefs is often needed, else we sit in a bog of stagnation. Additionally it is us who assigns these words any meaning. Ignore it and it's just a jumble of useless letters. Perhaps idealist, but in the long run it's been proven to be truth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My point is this, there are times I INTEND to offend. There are times people NEED to be offended.

As long as you don't do it here, feel free to do so everywhere else. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as you don't do it here, feel free to do so everywhere else. ;)
See, now that comes across more as a threat.

I'm already well aware of your terms of service, and I'm aware that there is no such thing as 'free speech' on a bulletin board since it's the hosts sandbox ;)

Besides, computers is one thing people rarely need to be offended over

Reaction score
WOAH, you're warning at the bottom of your post is....faded?
CraZY.

Anyway,
WHen people say "THAT'S SO GAY!" it makes me think that they view gay as a bad thing, to ALL the meanings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHen people say "THAT'S SO GAY!" it makes me think that they view gay as a bad thing, to ALL the meanings.

Many people feel that it is. You may disagree and that's ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
A good friend of mine is gay and says stuff is gay all the time. It doesn't offend him at all. I think people read to much into stuff sometimes. Or they let their own personal opinions and prejudices turn one persons innocent comment into something else in their own mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
A good friend of mine is gay and says stuff is gay all the time. It doesn't offend him at all. I think people read to much into stuff sometimes. Or they let their own personal opinions and prejudices turn one persons innocent comment into something else in their own mind.

I know some black people who use the "n-word" all the time. What's your point again?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.