Unable to Format New CD's with Apple Super Drive

krs

Reaction score
Are you sure the Panasonic will be able to read exFAT? According to the chart you show in post #73 only FAT-16 and FAT-32 seem to be supported.
No, I'm not sure.
But exFAT seems to be a subset of FAT-32 that's why I thought it's worth a try.
It's also why I added FAT-16 as the fall back position in my post.

I'm not sure why Hoody even wants to try using the USB port since it does nothing as far as transferring music from the Mac to the Panasonic hard drive is concerned. The only possibility with the Panasonic is to either use the audio cable or go via the same original approach with the Yamaha unit using CD-R's or CD-RW's

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But exFAT seems to be a subset of FAT-32 that's why I thought it's worth a try.

He can certainly try, but exFAT is different in that it supports larger cluster sizes and therefore larger hard drives. It also overcomes the 4GB FAT barrier.

krs

Reaction score
Ok, I really don't know enough about the details of exFAT vs FAT-32, so my suggestion was just wishful thinking.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Isn't that just typical? Seems to happen every time. Same with lightbulbs when you are looking for a replacement.

Ian
Ha ha. On the opposite side of the coin, whatever you threw out recently is something you'll need today.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I used a USB that wouldn't play in the Panasonic; it was formatted MocOs extended journalled. I saved the music to the desktop and re formatted it to Ex Fat. Put the music back on and it played, but when I go to 'drive select' it's not there, so I'll have to wait until the lead gets here.
Did I tell you my head hurts. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I've been so long, things got a bit busy around the house. Anyway the lead (3.5mm to L&R RCA out) and it wouldn't work so I'm now using apple tv to listen to music from my laptop, which brings me to another problem that I'll start a new thread with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.