Unable to Format New CD's with Apple Super Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I know it's an IDE and I also know that I can't go over a certain size... about 120Gb is somewhere near the biggest. I don't suppose I could use an SSD either.

I guess I have lost track of which Mac and what drive you are using, and wondering how you know it's an IDE drive, but if you are talking about a 2013 Mac's internal drive, an IDE drive is more commonly known as ATA or PATA (parallel ATA) and you should be well past the limit of not being able to use "big drives", ie: any drive with the working capacity of 128GB or over.

Maybe I should go back and re-read the posts...

EDIT:
Yup, krs's last previous post made things clearer...

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
Patrick -
Hoody is talking about the hard drive in the Yamaha unit, not a drive in any of the Macs

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
That's right KRS. Looks like I'm stumped. After all the help I've had, that's it.

krs

Reaction score
Not necessarily.
Depends how much effort you want to put into this.

For one, would going from 80 GB to 137 GB give you enough space to record what you want.
If not, first thing to check if there is a firmware update available to get past that limit if you need more space.
There is quite a discussion here to replace a defective drive, but it also includes comments that people habe been able to get larger drives to work.
Trouble is that the discussion is from 2011 and some of the links no longer exist
The discussion also includes a link to the service manual for this unit. That has a comment that one can update the firmware using a cd?DVD
But where to find that after 9 years???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not necessarily.
Depends how much effort you want to put into this.

Good sleuthing and advice krs... ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Yes, I agree. Thanks KRS. I've been reading the same articles as you. What I've found out so far is that the only people that had the firmware update were Yamaha and they wouldn't let anyone have it except authorised dealers. I read a few things, but as you said KRS, it's all really old. I could put a drive in it and initialise it, but would I then be able to put the original drive back in without initialising that one too. My idea was that I could swap the drives around at will, but I don't want to risk losing everything off the original drive. I think this thing is so old... in Yamaha's eyes, that there's now no support whatsoever.
I have a Panasonic CD/DVD player/recorder and have started putting some music on there. I can edit the titles, but that's about it I think. I'll let you know how I get on with this. Now I've got the adapter, I can still get music from iTunes on to a hard drive, just not how I thought I could. I'll come back tomorrow and let you know how I get on with it. BTW, all these things were bought before my work accident except for the iMac and macbook, when we had the money to spend.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, tomorrow came and went. I've been putting CD's onto this Panasonic HDD and it's going OK, but I can't do the editing that I can on the Yamaha. Neither can I record onto it with an optical cable as it only has an optical out (Panasonic). I've found some music on the Yamaha that I can live without, so I can make a bit of space, but getting music from iTunes onto the Panasonic is a problem that I can't really see a way round, but it is what it is.

krs

Reaction score
What is the model number of the Panasonic?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DMR XW-350. It's an old one, a sort of spare. We have a newer one, a DMR XW-390 that we use all the time but I don't want to fill it up with music.

krs

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the user manual.
Seems that unit has a 250 GB hard drive, so that is a big step in the right direction.
And if you are only copying music, there seem to be several ways to get that on the hard drive.
Granted, there is no optical in,but it seems you can record via the USB 2.0 port or any of the standard audio RCA jacks.

I keep aying "seem" because I just quickly glanced at the manual, so yes - you can't do the editing like on the Yamaha, but you don't have to go the CD route to copy music.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No USB on there and only HDMI out or optical out. Apart from that it's AV or component cables. Getting music from the iMac to the Panasonic's not going to happen... I can't see how anyway. I suppose I'll thank everyone again and call it a day.

krs

Reaction score
I see this in the user manual.

Panasonic USB.jpg
Maybe they are talking about copying to the USB device.

Too late here now -I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

krs

Reaction score
The user manual for the Panasonic is 120 pages and quite confusing.
When one gets to the very end capabilities become a bit clearer.
Here it says that one can play mp3 files from a USB device, but in the manual I read somewhere that the unit does not provide power on the USB port so using a flash drive is not possible - but that is only playback, no recording from USB to hard drive, so no good anyway.
USB.jpg

However, for the audio in ports, AV1 andAV2, it clearly states that one can record - so for that you would only need a 3.5 mm Stereo to RCA cable to connect the Mac to the Panasonic unit.

Audio.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right I'll have a root around in the big box full of cables that we all somehow seem to collect over the years. I did try a USB (when I found the port) and it didn't recognise it even though it had MP3 music on it. I'll come back again when I've tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I did try a USB (when I found the port) and it didn't recognise it even though it had MP3 music on it. I'll come back again when I've tried it.
Your USB may not have been properly formatted for it to be read?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that's possible I suppose, but if I re format it in the Panasonic HDD, then will the imac transfer music to it?
Anyway, I've just ordered a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 RCA's so maybe all isn't lost after all. That big box of leads must have had everything known to man in it except the cable I've just ordered. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That big box of leads must have had everything known to man in it except the cable I've just ordered.

Isn't that just typical? Seems to happen every time. Same with lightbulbs when you are looking for a replacement.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
but if I re format it in the Panasonic HDD, then will the imac transfer music to it?
It depends what format the Panasonic uses, as macOS can write to (and read from) FAT and exFAT.

krs

Reaction score
Yes that's possible I suppose, but if I re format it in the Panasonic HDD, then will the iMac transfer music to it?
But all that will do is play mp3 files that are sa
Don't format the USB in the Panasonic.
Format it on the Mac with Disk Utility as exFAT, then the Mac can read it for sure and the Panasonic should as well.
If it doesn't you may have to fall back on formatting with FAT16.
But all that does is allow you to play mp3 files on the USB Flash drive in the Panasonic which is not what you're after.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Format it on the Mac with Disk Utility as exFAT, then the Mac can read it for sure and the Panasonic should as well.

Are you sure the Panasonic will be able to read exFAT? According to the chart you show in post #73 only FAT-16 and FAT-32 seem to be supported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.