Turn on Bluetooth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Following advice to turn off Bluetooth on all other devices so as to activate my hearing aids Ona new iPhone I included it on my iMac. Although I have a wired mouse it doesn’t seem to work with my iMac.

System Settings is open at Bluetooth. How can I turn Bluetooth on again manually?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Toggle switch:

1710005265519.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have a trackpad or a USB mouse around. You will only need it for a minute.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a trackpad or a USB mouse around. You will only need it for a minute.
I have an old USB mouse. It lights up but doesn’t move the pointer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Following advice to turn off Bluetooth on all other devices so as to activate my hearing aids Ona new iPhone I included it on my iMac.
Can you just power the iMac off? Then reboot? I think it resets the BT to ON.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is there a keyboard shortcut to toggle the switch? I’ve tried using a USB mouse but it doesn’t seem to work with my iMac.

I don't know if there is any keyboard shortcut, but if so, I don't know what it is. But what brand and model of mice are you using, Wireless and or USB and is there no reaction if and when you try using your Mouse System Preference pane?

How are you managing to navigate your Mac or are you?

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Alwyn

Have a look at these two links - one from Apple. They basically deal with turning on Bluetooth when the Mouse won't work.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you just power the iMac off? Then reboot? I think it resets the BT to
I don't know if there is any keyboard shortcut, but if so, I don't know what it is. But what brand and model of mice are you using, Wireless and or USB and is there no reaction if and when you try using your Mouse System Preference pane?

How are you managing to navigate your Mac or are you?

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick. I’m kicking myself for turning bluetooth off, especially as I

I restarted iMac from internal HDD and that enabled me to access Bluetooth in Systems Settings on the external SSD and turn the button on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I restarted iMac from internal HDD and that enabled me to access Bluetooth in Systems Settings on the external SSD and turn the button on.

It sounds like Jake's #6 post would be a good way to fix such problems in the future for those having a similar problem.

Personally, I try to avoid Bluetooth like the plague due to all the various quirks or non-working problems in my experience and for other users I have known who also suffered similar Bluetooth problems.

It would be nice if it worked as well as they say it should.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like Jake's #6 post would be a good way to fix such problems in the future for those having a similar problem.

Personally, I try to avoid Bluetooth like the plague due to all the various quirks or non-working problems in my experience and for other users I have known who also suffered similar Bluetooth problems.

It would be nice if it worked as well as they say it should.

- Patrick
=======
Hey, Patrick, I get one right every now and then....

Reaction score
turn Bluetooth back on your iMac, go to System Preferences, then select Bluetooth. Toggle the switch to turn Bluetooth on. Check if your mouse works; if not, troubleshoot the connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The problem the OP was having is that it is not possible with only a bluetooth mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem the OP was having is that it is not possible with only a bluetooth mouse

I'm sorry but I don't understand how you came to that conclusion and what is impossible with only a Bluetooth mouse.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me and certainly not what I read.

Anyway it seems like they got it the problem fixed so I guess everything is working properly now.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry but I don't understand how you came to that conclusion and what is impossible with only a Bluetooth mouse.
I think was was tring to be said is that with BT off, no solution using the mouse to turn on BT works if all you have is a BT mouse. You can turn on BT with a wired mouse, but not a BT mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can turn on BT with a wired mouse, but not a BT mouse.
Thanks for the update and the info Jake, I certainly didn't know that, but I did come across this little bit:

Hit Command+Spacebar to bring up Spotlight, then type in “Bluetooth File Exchange” and hit the Return key
This launches the Bluetooth File Exchange app, which will immediately recognize that Bluetooth is turned off, simply hit the “Return” key again to choose the “Turn Bluetooth On” button

An older hint but I assume that still works today with current OS versions.

OT but curious:
I have and use a Logitech M720 Multi-Device Multi-Protocol Mouse

Theoretically apparently:
This mouse can connect with three different computers, via either Bluetooth or a 2.4GHz Unifying USB dongle.

I have no idea why and don't really care but I have never ever seen this mouse show up under my iMac's Bluetooth options. I don't care but I often wondered why but I'm not going to waste any time finding an answer as it works just fine using the Logitech USB dongle and its modified buttons I have customized.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea why and don't really care but I have never ever seen this mouse show up under my iMac's Bluetooth options.
It's not Bluetooth. It uses WiFi. The Dongle isn't BT, it's WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I know that my Logitech wireless mice and it's associated USB dongle are Wireless and use Wi-Fi, but the Logitech M720 wireless mouse model is supposed to have Bluetooth compatibility and work with Bluetooth enabled computers, but I just find it odd that I have never ever seen any sign of it show up and my Bluetooth window as a connected device.

Unless I misunderstand how it's supposed to work or get set up, but I don't need that capacity anyway as it works fine just the way it is. I assume the dongle Mouse uses the general 2.4 GHz frequency.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume the dongle Mouse uses the general 2.4 GHz frequency.
Yes.

From the article you linked:
To establish a connection, simply click the Easy-switch Toggle button (adjacent to the numbers) until the connection number you want is lit, and then press and hold the button for more than 3 seconds (until the number starts to blink rapidly).
The device apparently has a toggle that selects the connections. So, if it's set up for BT and you pick the BT using the toggle, it will show up as BT. Otherwise, it won't appear. So, in your case, you have it connected by the WiFI dongle, so it isn't using BT protocols and won't show up on BT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes, I realize the Logitech M720 Mouse I am using is using the USB Wi-Fi dongle which is what I preferred but beings curious I thought I would check out the Logitech mouse setup options but was rather surprised to discover that apparently it's not supported with my iMac which was a big surprise to me but luckily I don't need it as Bluetooth and I don't get along very well together.

Luckily for me I didn't want to use it as its optional Bluetooth setting as I saw no sign of that restriction when I was purchasing it. I wonder how many other users wanted to use the Bluetooth option and ended up in the same situation.

Similar to when I purchased a replacement Logitech M705 mouse, only to discover Logitech had removed the 8th thumb button and change your Glide pads from their previous exact same model number. I would think and expect a model numbers would change with a design change, which was a black mark for Logitech as far as I was concerned.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't need or want to use the Bluetooth option the Logitech M 720 apparently has, just not with my iMatt it seems:

Screen Shot.png

PS: neither are the Logitech USB Wi-Fi dongles always compatible with their previous USB wireless mouse models, which they also failed to mention on their web pages, I'm the same thing applies to their Logitech mouse preference pane software. Newer versions are needed for their newer mice, and their older software is needed for their older mice if anyone like myself ends up using both their old and their newer mice.

Oh well, they're all working the way I need but the setup was a bit of a PITA and their customer support was basically useless which I found rather surprising.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.