Thoughts from an old Dude!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
Look at it this way, it's money. You work for it, so spend it how you want. If you gotta buy a laptop, why not buy the nicest one you can afford? Look at the resale value of that Dell v.s. your MBP. The user experience of the product is so much better on that MBP it's ridiculous. Try calling tech support on that $1,000 laptop. After 2 hours on hold, you'd thank yourself for buying the MBP. Been there, done that. Apple= get what you pay for. Dell=pay for what you get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
What "bells and whistles" are you talking about?

Reaction score
The way I can really put this in perspective is in terms of cars, it may not line up 100% but...

Are you more of a Lexus guy? tech heavy, more bang for the buck

Or are you more of a say, BMW guy? MUCH less tech, more expensive but it does what it's supposed to do (drive/performance) and uses what it has a lot better more efficiently.

should you feel guilty? well it depends on what type of person you are :) both do the job! It's personal preference

first post here, but what? to me personally (i can't afford either) but I used to work for lexus and I honestly think they are a WAY better can than BMW's... not that this post is very on topic, but i am just saying... a little more on topic, my parents wondered the same thing. Why do you want a 3000 dollar powerbook (bought 3 1/2 years ago) when you could buy a $600 dollar (insert any best buy brand here) that is the same. There is one major and important difference to me, my powerbook runs OSX, the others run windows? answer to the question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
really weigh the differences between your two computers....actually write it down...the cost/benefit of all the bells and whistles and the same of the apple....and then let us know your opinion....

imo...im sure you are not insane

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I've had the MBP for a couple weeks now. My son bought the 3 year warranty on his 2 year old MBP. Do you think it is a good investment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
My son bought the 3 year warranty on his 2 year old MBP. Do you think it is a good investment?
Laptops and all-in-one units like iMacs can be very expensive to have fixed. If you are going to keep the box past the first year of warranty, then buy the extended warranty. It is pricey, but if you end up needing it, the result will be a bargin.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Well....it's December 13th and I can't even explain the joy of a computer that boots up in less than 30 seconds. Keys that are soft and quiet. Seamless opening and closing of files. Shortcuts that are so easy to use. Bought an external hard drive. Time Machine is fantastic. My desktop in the other room takes almost 4 minutes to boot. All the virus software and junk. It is so not fun. It just sits there and acts as the hub for my MBP. Great computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.