Thoughts from an old Dude!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What's the prob with Cut/Paste/Deleting? It's not especially different from Windows, other than needing to hold the CMD key to delete something.

Well if you find the existing widgets to be useless, then don't use them and find some that you find useful. There are entire websites chock full of them. Or don't use them at all. No one's forcing them on you.

Email clients are for email. Want newsgroup access? Get a newsgroup client. If you want an app that does both, then get one. Just because MS Outlook Express does both doesn't mean that has to be the defacto standard for Apple and everyone else to follow. I use separate clients for email and newsgroups myself... always have even in Windows.

As to the shortcut keys and mouse... well yes, OS X is lacking badly in supporting multi-button mice. I highly recommend picking up SteerMouse. It lets you customize your mouse buttons totally to your liking. USB Overdrive does also, but doesn't support bluetooth mice yet (last I heard).

As for lack of a word processing program, well look at the bright side. Now you won't feel compelled to settle for what came with the computer. Find one you like and buy it (or get a free one... plenty of those too). :Smirk:

As for web pages filling the screen... well Safari's Maximize button only expands the window as much as it needs to to fit the web page so you don't have to scroll sideways. Really... what's the point in "making" the page fill the window? There's no extra content for doing so. If it bothers you that much, switch to using Firefox instead. There's also Shiira and Demeter, both of which use some of the same underpinnings in the OS that Safari uses, but they work slightly differently in their own ways.

If you mean why doesn't the window open up to cover the Dock, then just turn on the Dock's hiding option. Or put it on the side. Or shrink it.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback...it's a little tough starting over....I thought the transition would be easier...but, I've only had it one day....there are so many "doo-dads"....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
After using pc's for over 30 years, I was actually excited to come back home to the Mac. I got my kids started on Apple Computers.
My new Macbook Pro came in the mail today. Yes, it is beautiful. But, holy cow! Cut and Paste...Deleting...widgets that seem fairly useless. My email doesn't allow me to load newsgroups. And, it just seems somewhat difficult to get used to the shortcut keys, when the pc mouse handled it so easily. I will withhold judgement for a few more days, but....geez...not even a word processing program comes with this very expensive computer? At least the pc comes with the marginal Microsoft Works. Oh ya...it comes with a trial offer of iWork.....Any other neophyte user feel my pain? I really don't want to send it back....but...I don't know. OH...one last thing...why don't web pages fill the screen? I realize you have all those big shortcuts on the bottom...but it sure seems like a waste of space.

I don't understand the big deal with cut/paste and deleting. Cut/Paste are exactly the same... just Cmd instead of Ctrl. I don't even use PCs, but I could still work my way around using shortcuts because they're not that different.

I can see how the missing Microsoft Office would be annoying. There are ways around it though.

Sending the computer back would be pointless, IMO. After using the computer for maybe two weeks, it should all be relatively easy and you can find your way around and adjust it to fit your life.

I know and work with TONS of people that had never touched a Mac before coming to work at Apple, and now they love it.

Don't worry.. You'll get used to it again and you'll love it...again! Just make it work for you. Make sure you personalize it. :D

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Type "A" personality

It doesn't help to be obsessive about trying to learn it all in one day. I have so many questions, I feel overwhelmed. Simple things, like....how do you remove programs (applications) from the computer. Not like pc's add/remove in the control panel. Also, the fn key...the apple key....the combinations...is there any written material on use of the cmd key etc. I so miss my intelli-mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
It doesn't help to be obsessive about trying to learn it all in one day. I have so many questions, I feel overwhelmed. Simple things, like....how do you remove programs (applications) from the computer. Not like pc's add/remove in the control panel. Also, the fn key...the apple key....the combinations...is there any written material on use of the cmd key etc. I so miss my intelli-mouse.

Applications are kind of shlopped together into one...thing? To remove, go into your apps folder, find the app you want to delete. This is the easy part...drag and drop into trash. Viola! Generally, drag and drop accomplishes most things on a Mac.

The CMD key is the same as the ctrl key on a PC. CMD+C is copy, CMD+V is paste, and so on. I'm sure there is a chart somewhere on Google or the Apple site.

I know, its a bit tough at first. I felt the same way. But get through it! Its worth it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Regarding removing apps, cheesybanana is correct in that you can just drag the app to your Trash, but in order to ensure that you completely remove all preferences, cache files, and other support files, you can use an app like AppZapper. This will remove all remnants of an application. These remnants generally don't take up much space at all, but over time, these add up, and besides, I'm just anal. :)

You can think of these remnants as equal to registry entries and log files that are left behind when uninstalling a lot of Windows applications.

Reaction score
Regarding removing apps, cheesybanana is correct in that you can just drag the app to your Trash, but in order to ensure that you completely remove all preferences, cache files, and other support files, you can use an app like AppZapper. This will remove all remnants of an application. These remnants generally don't take up much space at all, but over time, these add up, and besides, I'm just anal. :)

You can think of these remnants as equal to registry entries and log files that are left behind when uninstalling a lot of Windows applications.

APPZAPPER! That's what I was looking for!!

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
That's the rub. Since there isn't a registry, I do wonder where all the "stuff" goes? I had forgotten the simplicity of the Mac. I actually became a registry genius. I could hunt down all the footprints of an application. I just can't believe most people just delete the application and that is it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That's the rub. Since there isn't a registry, I do wonder where all the "stuff" goes? I had forgotten the simplicity of the Mac. I actually became a registry genius. I could hunt down all the footprints of an application. I just can't believe most people just delete the application and that is it!
The preference files that most applications leave behind are just text files. They take up very little space and can't hurt anything.

On the other hand, the application uninstallers used to remove these files take up considerably more disk space, and occasionally cause problems when used to remove applications like MS Office or the Adobe Creative Suite.

Reaction score
If you right-click an application icon and choose "Show Package Contents," you'll see why most of the app can be deleted by dragging it to the trash. An app icon is just another folder full of stuff.

You can also find the remaining text files by searching the drive for the name of the app, then deleting whatever the search turns up.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Thanks for that very informative response....and it excites me even more about how the mac operates. Whew! PC's are so much friggin work.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Well...I've had my MBP for a few days now, and I am completely blown away! 25 years on a pc, PC magazines....PC this and PC that. Back in the stone age, I was a mac addict. Started my kids on an Apple Computer. Thus, my handle of Jacintosh...First name Jack. Haven't used that handle until this week. Swore by the flexibility of the pc, the many more options, the software...blah blah blah. NOT! This thing fires up like a jet. It is smooth as silk. Now, if I can only get that dang HP printer connected to my pc desktop to talk to my Mac....I'll be super happy. But, this thing is just flat out fun! I'm not a graphics expert like my son. He has the MBP 17" from a couple years ago and he does wonders with that thing. You don't have to be a genius to have so much fun. It's not stupid person's computer. It is a smart computer. I am so adept at adding and removing....fixing the registry....reformatting...adding thirdy party software to prevent malware...viruses....etc....too much work and not enough play. Just love it!

Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase! The MBP is one sweet machine!

Reaction score
congrats!
had the same experience when I switched 6 months ago and am learning a lot of stuff because I just have the time (I realized how much time is actually wasted because of maintenance of a PC)

Reaction score
Recent switcher as well, 27 years in the MS world.

I set up a PC and a Mac with sharing a Network Printer using Bonjour and it was a snap. (In this case the Printer was connected to the Mac.) You should be able to use Bonjour as well to connect with the printer being on the Windows Machine

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

Well...I've had my MBP for a few days now, and I am completely blown away! 25 years on a pc, PC magazines....PC this and PC that. Back in the stone age, I was a mac addict. Started my kids on an Apple Computer. Thus, my handle of Jacintosh...First name Jack. Haven't used that handle until this week. Swore by the flexibility of the pc, the many more options, the software...blah blah blah. NOT! This thing fires up like a jet. It is smooth as silk. Now, if I can only get that dang HP printer connected to my pc desktop to talk to my Mac....I'll be super happy. But, this thing is just flat out fun! I'm not a graphics expert like my son. He has the MBP 17" from a couple years ago and he does wonders with that thing. You don't have to be a genius to have so much fun. It's not stupid person's computer. It is a smart computer. I am so adept at adding and removing....fixing the registry....reformatting...adding thirdy party software to prevent malware...viruses....etc....too much work and not enough play. Just love it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Welcome aboard

Sounds like you are moving from considering the computer a mere tool that can sometimes give you trouble to your digital friend

Reaction score
Now, if I can only get that dang HP printer connected to my pc desktop to talk to my Mac....
Does it work with the Mac if you connect it directly? If not, the chance of any networking trouble would be lessened and it would be easier to find the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Welcome Jacintosh! I was going to say just what louishen said, too. Isn't it nice to have a computer that you don't have tweak the OS to get it to work? (tweaking to suit your aesthetic sensibilities - that's different) :)
I was in a similar situation as you -- I'd used Apple comps back in grade school, used Macs in college. In the "real world" PCs were more affordable, so I spent years using them ("using"? wrong term...fixing, tweaking, yelling at them...). Gave up and went to Linux/FreeBSD full time.
Though I came back to Mac in '01 when OS X was first released (FreeBSD under the hood? Oh Hellsyeah!).
Now, the only time I see Windows is when I fire up Parallels/QEMU/VMWare to do support for family and clients :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.