Thoughts from an old Dude!

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Okay, the confuses the daylights out of me. Since my printer connects with via my computer, I don't know how it would work as a wireless connection to my laptop, without going through my desktop computer. Oh, and, of course the router does give out a wireless signal, since it does connect to my laptop with a wireless connection. It is wired to my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Im taking my father in law (61) to the Apple store tomorrow to pick up his MBP. He's a retired programmer from Ford. Banged away on Windows crap since it came out. I cant wait till he realizes the simplistic power of Mac.

I do know what you mean though. I've used Winblows forever and just switched with my new iMac and I feel like I should be doing more with this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Can the printer be near the router? If yes then the Airport is your answer. If no then you should look into a wireless print server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with all of the above. But you are not just buyinga mac for what it can do for you today. In a little while. Maybe next year when you become familiar with the machine you might want to do more with it. And at that point you'll be glad you had all the extra bells and whistles that you thought you never needed today.

My general idea is you need a little forward thinking. You gotta think about today and tomorrow when you own a mac.

Enjoy your mac. I'm glad you find using it fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Okay, the confuses the daylights out of me. Since my printer connects with via my computer, I don't know how it would work as a wireless connection to my laptop, without going through my desktop computer.
Some printers can connect via ethernet. Some Routers have a USB port for a printer. In the old days (just a few years ago) it would have been parallel or serial port.

So, from the sounds of it you need a computer to hook the computer to.

Reaction score
Jacintosh ..... I was with you all the way up until you said, "I realize the router needs to connect to a wired machine for my computer to work." and then you lost me. Why?
I also have PCs, desktop and laptop, and a Mac on a home network and can print from any of them. My router, a US Robotics 9106, is also the broadband modem (I'm in England and don't know what the Pond Hoppers call that kind of internet connection) It cost me £6 on eBay about 3 years ago and works flawlessly. The printer is attached by a USB lead to a desktop PC and all the other units use it via the network. It isn't any kind of special printer either, just a bog standard Canon Pixma IP 1500.
No offence but maybe you need to have another look at what capabilities your system/network has that you ain't using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i think that you should use the hp for a file and print server. get an extra large HDD and stick it in there and put all your movies, music and pictures on there. then share out the printer. always leave it on and remove the monitor, keyboard and mouse. keep them in a closet just in case you need them to access the hp to change settings or reboot.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Okay....I think I misled on the connection situation. My desktop is connected to the Linksys wireless G router. My printer connects to the desktop through a usb connection. The router only has ethernet capabilities. My wireless router connects find to my wife's desktop and my macbook. Also, the printer works fine with my laptop. I was told, that I need the desktop in order for my laptop to connect to the printer. Does the airport extreme offer something different?

Reaction score
Yes, with the airport router you can plug your USB printer directly into the router and the router will serve up all your printing needs through itself instead of sharing it through your PC like you've got now.

What is the model number of your linksys? Does it have a USB port on it? Some of the newer ones have print server capabilities as well. I've never seen a Linksys that has to be connected to a PC. For initial setup using their software would be the only reason I could think you would need to hook it up but once it's setup then you're good to go.

It sounds like your wife also has a PC, could you hook the printer up on your wifes machine and share it out that way?
Jason

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
It's the WRT54g router. No USB ports....just ethernet. The printer only runs a usb cable....and that goes through the pc.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Should I feel guilty?

As an older adult, with a wife that is very conservative. Should I feel guilty? I ready in the "Best Buy" ads...all the high end pc's that have all the bells and whistles...I mean HD video....huge memory....and big time speed....And, I buy a refurb MBP for almost 2 grand.....Am I insane? I love this laptop....it kills my HP desktop.....I know it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a Sony that is so much more loaded that is laptop....but, I don't know.....I am probably guilty of Job's advertising.....I always like Apple....30 years ago I liked Apple.....I will probably never utilize all the power of this laptop, but it is almost Zen like...I know that sounds scary.....I've been a pc guy for many years, but I just can't explain how much I flat out love this computer....am I nuts?

Reaction score
The way I can really put this in perspective is in terms of cars, it may not line up 100% but...

Are you more of a Lexus guy? tech heavy, more bang for the buck

Or are you more of a say, BMW guy? MUCH less tech, more expensive but it does what it's supposed to do (drive/performance) and uses what it has a lot better more efficiently.

should you feel guilty? well it depends on what type of person you are :) both do the job! It's personal preference

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am only a couple years behind ya.
We use to spend all our time at opposite ends of the house 'cause I was on my puter all the time.
Now she claims this MBP is glued to my hip as I sit here in the recliner with it all the time.

Boys and our toys - don't feel guilty - if it wasn't this it'd be somethin' else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I thought the same before I bought my first Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
watch out. They're addictive.

Soon you'll be trying to persuade all your friends to own one ;-)

Tho, so far, I have avoided going door to door with my evangelism

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I hear al ya....yes...I'm a BMW kinda guy. I want quality over quantity. I want the best of the best. I have the best...and I love it. If you aren't into computers...you don't have a clue as to what "we" enjoy so much about this machine. God....it is so overwhelming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
People always ask me why the heck i spent 2+ grand on a laptop when i could have bought one that would do the same thing for 1000 bucks or less....and i always respond the same way...

Some people like to drive a Toyota...some like to drive a Lexus. They will both get you there, one just nicer than the other. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.