• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I will join you in such a toast laser today during supper time when I have my one glass of dry red wine that I make at our local Sidney U-Brew Winery. Often with Australian Shiraz grape juice by the way, as well as others.

My doctor told me to reduce my wine intake drastically some time ago now for health reasons and my wife is very efficient regarding enforcing the amount.

So I shall probably think of everyone here during my wine toasting time later in the day, as it is now only 9 a.m., and only Tuesday for those of you who are a day ahead.

- Patrick
=======
Morning Patrick. How things? I, too, haven’t indulged in wine for a number of years...no real reason just lost interest I guess. I used to sample quite a bit, various blends and vintages...my wife would call it the wrath of grapes....but no more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Morning Patrick. How things? I, too, haven’t indulged in wine for a number of years...no real reason just lost interest I guess. I used to sample quite a bit, various blends and vintages...my wife would call it the wrath of grapes....but no more.

Gee, I didn't suggest or say no wine consumption did I...??? And my apologies if it was translated as such...

My generous amount of wine intake, and beer, was curbed several years ago and I now allow myself one glass of wine a day or maybe two glasses with special company, and an occasional beer or two of which I used to consume way too many, but that was many years ago. Nice plain cold Canadian lager, pretty hard to beat. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many would agree. I, however, lean toward Amstel, Heineken, Tuborg, or Becks....

I sure can't say any of those aren't pleasant to drink and they're all nice beers but I wonder why so many Canadians lean to choosing the imported beers over the Canadian made products.

But I will admit I used to do the same many years ago, until I really stopped to analyze what I was drinking only came to the conclusion the Canadian stuff was as good if not better.

I will say some of our recent local "Craft breweries" seemed to have decided that over hopping their brews make them outstanding, which I will agree, to the point of being undrinkable and unpleasant which was probably not the out standing direction they wanted to go. At least not for my taste.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all, cold here today with temps hitting a high of 14c, and dull.
Yesterday was a rare Tuesday in that we didn’t hit the cinema...nor was it Burger Day....Guinness was disappointed.

I’m getting down on my coffee supply...will have to order some soon...this time of year everything has a “Pumpkin Spice” theme to it..... I have never been a fan of Pumpkin Spice coffee.....you?

More and more I’m becoming a fan of the tv show The Serpent Queen, whimsical non history if you will....worth watching.

What shows are you watching?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Morning all, cold here today with temps hitting a high of 14c, and dull.
Yesterday was a rare Tuesday in that we didn’t hit the cinema...nor was it Burger Day....Guinness was disappointed.

I’m getting down on my coffee supply...will have to order some soon...this time of year everything has a “Pumpkin Spice” theme to it..... I have never been a fan of Pumpkin Spice coffee.....you?

More and more I’m becoming a fan of the tv show The Serpent Queen, whimsical non history if you will....worth watching.

What shows are you watching?
90s (F) are finally gone in Mississippi. Planted my broccoli and cauliflower. I think I planted my spinach seeds too early though (last week) and don't think it's going to come up.

Not a fan of pumpkin spice either!

I'll give Serpent Queen a try. I just finished The Split on Hulu--it was excellent. Nicola Walker is such a talented actress, as is Sarah Lancashire (loved her in The Paradise). British shows are so superior to USA in my opinion. On second episode of The Accident. Third episode of The Unforgotten.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
90s (F) are finally gone in Mississippi. Planted my broccoli and cauliflower. I think I planted my spinach seeds too early though (last week) and don't think it's going to come up.

Not a fan of pumpkin spice either!

I'll give Serpent Queen a try. I just finished The Split on Hulu--it was excellent. Nicola Walker is such a talented actress, as is Sarah Lancashire (loved her in The Paradise). British shows are so superior to USA in my opinion. On second episode of The Accident. Third episode of The Unforgotten.
Hi Nancy, I tend to view more British shows than North American....probably due to our attachment to the U.K.

A series I have been really getting into is The North Water, we carry it on CBC Gem, which is the Mother Corps streaming service...well worth watching, and if you can download GEM via VPN, some great shows for you.

Last edited:
OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. Colder here today at 12c, but sunny and that helps.
Hoping those in Florida have taken care and that they will be safe. We had a bout in Nova Scotia, PEI and NFLD...things were bad there...hoping you fare better.

I’ve been going through some older material and decided to relearn Brewer and Shipley’s One Toke Over The Line... I like Brewer and Shipley and actually got to see them in Toronto...they were the warmup for Jethro Tull during their Passion Play tour.....go figure who thought that was a good booking...but the audience really liked them....

Going over some of that stuff from the 60s and 70s....there were some really great song writers then....and a lot of junk to, but the folk era was truly outstanding....we could use some of that message today.

Just wondering what your favourite song or band was from that era? In the 60s I liked The Hollies and The Animals....and yes I liked The Beatles, but in that era I always liked the songs of the Hollies. You?

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had a special place in my heart for Roy Orbison and still have. Then there were the Beatles, Dionne Warwick, The Temptations, Fleetwood Mac, Buddy Holly, The Moody Blues and of course The Rolling Stones. Oh and The Supremes, gosh, you've got me started now. ;). "You've lost that lovin' feeling" by the Righteous Brothers just came to mind.

Last edited:
OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I had a special place in my heart for Roy Orbison and still have. Then there were the Beatles, Dionne Warwick, The Temptations, Fleetwood Mac, Buddy Holly, The Moody Blues and of course The Rolling Stones. Oh and The Supremes, gosh, you've got me started now. ;). "You've lost that lovin' feeling" by the Righteous Brothers just came to mind.
Hi Rod, I think You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling was one of the greatest songs produced in that era....the production on that was amazing.

My all time favourite band is Yess, followed by Jethro Tull, then the Moody Blues.

I grew up in a musical home...my dad loved swing, especially Artie Shaw, my mum was into stage productions, and my grandfather was a military concert drummer....so very mixed background. I also was a fan of 60s Folk music.
I still think the best tv show I ever saw was the Smothers Brothers when they had Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, themselves and another who I can’t recall. They just moved from one to the other playing their most famous pieces...now the joke was the Smothers just kept playing the same song.....wonderful show.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale." —Lauren DeStefano, Wither
I am not a Summer person, nor a Winter one for that matter. I have always leaned toward the fall as my favourite season. I feel fortunate to live in a country that has four seasons....each unique, each with its own splendour. There is something in the colours of the leaves, the snap in the air...the chill that makes one’s arrival at home more inviting. To share simple things such as picking apples with your children, the wonder of the harvest, the sense of the seasons to come. Thoughts..
1BA07E5C-82BC-4E30-86A7-770F79ABE171.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and The Supremes, gosh, you've got me started now.

I'm sure there are quite a few of us here that would love to join you with our list of the good old oldie moldy music of that era.

Somehow most of the latest stuff they they have been calling "music" for some time now is just a loud noise to my ears. At least some seem to appreciate it so all is not lost I guess...

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
At least some seem to appreciate it so all is not lost I guess...
Hi Patrick, there are many genres out there...a number of which weren’t around when I was banding. I’m not partial to a number of them...however, within each genre there are tunes which rise to the appellation of “ standard”. Take Disco...was never a big fan but ...How Deep Is Your Love, If I Cant Have You, Stayin’ Alive, are in what are surely the standard class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
Fall has always been my favorite season. *SNIP*

Ah, one of the things I miss about no longer being in Canada :)

Cheers

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all, temps will rise to around 20c today with some sun....great for lawn work.

As we are in fall like weather we have a medium roast with French Vanilla coffee on, served with warm Butter Tarts... yum!

If you are unfamiliar with this Canadian classic treat some recipes follow

Will be firing up the BBQ today and watching some College ball...I’m a fan of the SEC....go Dawgs.

Our thought of the day....

DB3AC5B8-15A5-4F47-BA37-3AB12651BE29.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
Tilt, I bet you don’t miss what comes after fall.....
Actually I do. I love the freezing cold. I hate heat. Even the shoveling of the driveway and cleaning my car I can live with.

Cheers

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. Colder here today with a night of 17c but the low is 7c...ouch!
We have a lovely Light Roast on today with a kiss of licorice, served with warm Bumbleberry Crumble....yum!

Speaking of Bumbleberry...... Double-Crunch Bumbleberry Crisp | Canadian Living

It’s PBS day here today, will be watching Marple, then Van Der Valk, one of my favourite mystery series.

We all have our favs......just wonder what yours are.....I must admit I’m eagerly awaiting the second season of Perry Mason.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.