• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Oops... I guess I could use a proof reader... But I could have sworn it was originally a - character that was first mentioned. But my eyes are failing even if they did have some surgery recently to help improve things. ;-)
My original "syntax" was unconventional, or I'd even accept incorrect. I used Option- instead of Option + and I did refer to the :/; key as : not ; which I think is Optional. ;) [that's ; + ) ] I suppose I think of that as the : key in this case because I'm hitting it while depressing Option, and I get a : when hitting it while depressing Shift. Does that make any sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So just how did we get onto this topic in the first place??? Hmmm...??? ;-)
In post #844, member rps used ..... (I counted 5 periods, but my eyesight might be fooling me)
In post #847, I mentioned the key combo to get the ellipses character.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. Quite cool here today with temps in the teens, but it’s sunny.

Hoping the Maritimers fare well today and tomorrow with the storm lashing them.

For those of you who are Baseball fans, the scheduler for the AL East couldn’t have done a better job....each game has consequences....the way it should be.

93E05BE0-1DF5-4743-AB7A-3088BFE78292.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In post #844, member rps used ..... (I counted 5 periods, but my eyesight might be fooling me)
In post #847, I mentioned the key combo to get the ellipses character.

Okay..., it seems that there are Formal and Casual uses of the ellipses or in this case partial multiple ellipseses or just a casual number of periods without a particular number...

Various options and opinions given here:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those of you who are Baseball Cubs or Reds fans, the scheduler…
Did something strange this year. They end the season playing each other in a 3-game series at Cincinnati immediately after completing a 3-game series in Chicago.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Did something strange this year. They end the season playing each other in a 3-game series at Cincinnati immediately after completing a 3-game series in Chicago.
There has been much discussion on the expansion of the WC, personally I like it. In the AL East with 11 games left Baltimore still has a chance, Seattle is on the hot seat. The Jays are fighting to not play Houston.... I think there is more scoreboard watching this year, but it does degrade the regular season some....however when you hit September you are in playoff mode already.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. Cold here...hoping the Maritimers come out of the storm okay.

Will be a quite day here as it is rainy...so off to the mall to get our walking in.

Saturday is also football day here...while I love the CFL, I think U.S. College ball is the best of American style football ( NFL, XFL, USFL, what ever Spring league they try...and it Canada the CFL ) it’s hard to beat the game day traditions each University has...and the crowds are great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There has been much discussion on the expansion of the WC, personally I like it. In the AL East with 11 games left Baltimore still has a chance, Seattle is on the hot seat. The Jays are fighting to not play Houston.... I think there is more scoreboard watching this year, but it does degrade the regular season some....however when you hit September you are in playoff mode already.
Since I have MLB.TV, I'll watch the recaps of games that include a contender, whether for a division crown or a WC spot, rather than merely looking at the standings to see if there was a change. It's a little more than a SC highlight, and I can back up and watch something, creating my own instant replay.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Since I have MLB.TV, I'll watch the recaps of games that include a contender, whether for a division crown or a WC spot, rather than merely looking at the standings to see if there was a change. It's a little more than a SC highlight, and I can back up and watch something, creating my own instant replay.
Hi toMACh, I have MLB as well. I have a few teams I follow closely, namely the Braves, Mets, Yanks and Phillie....I can only get to see the Jays in either recap or well after the game has been played due to Rogers blackout...I don’t live near Toronto but Rogers has the whole country as local....and I don’t have cable so......

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@rps We really must discuss your choice of baseball teams to follow. You included the Braves (n) but not a mention of the Dodgers or Cubs?:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I think the post referred to the hate on Facebook not these forums. It seems pretty good here.

warm day here. Not complaining, because I know what’s comin in a few months.
Yes on Facebook--haven't seen hate here except for the occasional frustrated Mac owner trying to figure something out.

Our tractor is a John Deere. My grass mower is a Kubota. We only have 100 acres and don't raise anything really. But we are surrounded by farmers--corn, soybeans, cotton and the like. The tractors farmers use are HUGE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi toMACh, I have MLB as well. I have a few teams I follow closely, namely the Braves, Mets, Yanks and Phillie....I can only get to see the Jays in either recap or well after the game has been played due to Rogers blackout...I don’t live near Toronto but Rogers has the whole country as local....and I don’t have cable so......
I never watch a sporting event live. I want to watch too many games, so I just don't have the time to sit through commercials. I like the flexibility of being able to pause when I want to, even for several hours, and then pick up where I left off. I end up deleting things I've recorded and didn't get around to. With MLB, I can go back several days if there's a game I really want to watch. And I don't have to worry about late starts. I'll just watch the next day.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
With MLB, I can go back several days if there's a game I really want to watch. And I don't have to worry about late starts. I'll just watch the next day.
Hi toMACsh, I agree. One of its best features in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our tractor is a John Deere. My grass mower is a Kubota. We only have 100 acres and don't raise anything really. But we are surrounded by farmers--corn, soybeans, cotton and the like. The tractors farmers use are HUGE.

Gee, I would have thought the tractor models would have been the other way around if not both John Deeres, and I gather neither of yours are of the huge tractor varieties some farms have and need to use these days.
We had an old small John Deere 920 at the place I worked for a total of 40 years but have been retired from there for about 25. I love using and driving tractors and have always been amazed at the amount of work they can do, at least when properly equipped.

I would think a Hundred Acre Farm is on the small side for that area these days but certainly large enough to raise a fair number of crops if one wanted.

I guess it's that time of year for harvesting for many of the Farms surrounding you. A very busy and hopefully rewarding time.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You fellas sure live a different lifestyle to us. I'm sure many of you know that my wife Annie and I are born and bred Australians "retired" and living in Bali, Indonesia.

As inhabitants of the Ring of Fire on a volcanic Island in the middle of the Indian ocean our climatic conditions are somewhat different to most of your's.

Over the years through enforced periods of illness, convalescence after surgery, cancer, broken bones and COVID confinement these forums have provided help, entertainment, knowledge, purpose and friendship.
I have to some degree come to know many of you quite well despite distance and differences of age, gender, politics, beliefs and lifestyle through our common interest and commitment to share our combined knowledge to help others.

I feel this is pretty unique in our world today and I simply wish to raise a glass and toast us all for our ongoing efforts. (y) :app

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So, FYI everybody:

Our daily temperature (all year) ranges from about 22 to 34 deg. C.

We preside over and live in an Eco Villa Angel House Ubud - Boutique Eco-stay Villa which keeps us both busy so, "retired" is a relative term.

We do not own this property, the business is not in our name, although the contents belong to us. Foreigners cannot "own" property in Indonesia but we do have a type of life-long lease.
We do not "work" because that would contravene the conditions of our retirement visa. Rather we direct and preside over others who do the work and we share the profits made with them in the form of wages, contributions or contractual payments. So, although we do pay land taxes and vehicle registration etc, we do not fill income tax returns because we technically have no income. What we get is room and board and cost of living expenses. Any surplus money is banked locally and used for upkeep and maintenance.
In truth between the two of us we manage; staff employment, guest relations, advertising, booking management, a website, most of the day to day maintenance, room decoration, menu and supervision of staff.

We help out our community and staff with yearly donations and sometimes medical and schooling bills where needed so, at the end of the year we may not have a monetary profit but we have the satisfaction of knowing we have made a positive contribution to our village. What we get in return is better than money. We have love, friendship, respect and community activities, while living in a tropical paradise where the cost of living is still considerably lower than most first world countries.
On the down side we do have the occasional mild (so far) earthquake and a couple of active volcanos, one of which erupted a couple of years ago. Pretty far from us though, the worst we suffered was a bit of volcanic ash.

This village like all villages in Bali is almost exclusively comprised of Balinese Hindu's, this is a distinct form of Hindu worship incorporating local "animism, ancestor worship or Pitru Paksha, and reverence for Buddhist saints or Bodhisattava." It is a religion that has no bias against other religions, practices complete tolerance and seems to bear no malice towards anyone. There are no gangs of youths running riot here, very little community violence or crime, at a village level murder is almost unheard of.

You only have to drive/ride on Balinese roads to see the tolerance and patience displayed here. "Road rage" is virtually unheard of and that in a country where there is really only one road rule. You are obliged to avoid what you can see. It effectively removes the need for rear view mirrors. It requires you to concentrate on what is in front of you with the acceptance that anyone may do anything (within reason). Pull out of a side street without looking, turn right from the left lane without indicating etc, etc, but it's done slowly with the assumption that other motorists, given the time to see will slow down, stop or change lanes. I've been driving here for years and it's amazing how well it works and I get all the same considerations the locals get. I have to make a noticeable adjustment on return trips to Australia where it's all about controlled intersections, right of way and obeying the rules.

Should things ever go pear shaped we maintain a home in Australia we return to briefly a couple of times a year.

So all that explains a bit about us and our life in "retirement".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I guess it's that time of year for harvesting for many of the Farms surrounding you. A very busy and hopefully rewarding time.
Yes it is. The cotton gins just started running and the cotton will be good since we have had so little rain since the bolls started opening. It occurred to me yesterday that I've never stopped at the gin about 5 miles from me to watch them so I'm going to do that this week. Of course this is the "country" so there probably won't be any issue with just walking in. As I drive by I can see the discharge chute spit out the boll after the cotton is separated.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
You fellas sure live a different lifestyle to us. I'm sure many of you know that my wife Annie and I are born and bred Australians "retired" and living in Bali, Indonesia.

As inhabitants of the Ring of Fire on a volcanic Island in the middle of the Indian ocean our climatic conditions are somewhat different to most of your's.

Over the years through enforced periods of illness, convalescence after surgery, cancer, broken bones and COVID confinement these forums have provided help, entertainment, knowledge, purpose and friendship.
I have to some degree come to know many of you quite well despite distance and differences of age, gender, politics, beliefs and lifestyle through our common interest and commitment to share our combined knowledge to help others.

I feel this is pretty unique in our world today and I simply wish to raise a glass and toast us all for our ongoing efforts. (y) :app
Morning Rod, and welcome to The Gather Inn....we try to be a safe place on the web where everyone is welcomed and respected. Two great posts about your retirement.. As you may be aware, temps in Canada are all over the place depending where you live. We live in Windsor Ontario...so have almost the most sunny days that one can get in Canada, as well as the second highest warm winter temps.....but we’ve had a few -45c days ....not the norm. We do get some snow but not a lot....hardly use my snowblower...but as I get older that may change... I am retired ...I worked for a major manufacturing company for 32 years before starting my career as an English Language instructor....I have since retired from that line....most days I care for my wife and torment her with my ukulele playing. A closing thought...
B05A1867-1C1A-47FC-828D-D886DEE8643B.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will join you in such a toast laser today during supper time when I have my one glass of dry red wine that I make at our local Sidney U-Brew Winery. Often with Australian Shiraz grape juice by the way, as well as others.

My doctor told me to reduce my wine intake drastically some time ago now for health reasons and my wife is very efficient regarding enforcing the amount.

So I shall probably think of everyone here during my wine toasting time later in the day, as it is now only 9 a.m., and only Tuesday for those of you who are a day ahead.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.