• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Obama-Biden vs. McCain-Palin

Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure: on November 5th one of us will be right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't like either team. Every 4 years the Presidential election becomes more and more of a media circus, mud-slinging fest, and popularity contest... rather than a process by which we choose the best person for the job.

For every 'negative' aspect one side highlights about their opponent, that opposing side finds a 'negative' aspect to highlight on the other.

Politics is nothing more than a game anymore. Nothing more than a bickering match where in the end, one team has fewer 'bad' things said about it.

Why settle for the "lesser of two evils"?

http://www.votenoneoftheabove.us/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The problem with 'protest votes' is that you simply allow someone else to chose the lesser of two evils.

FWIW I don't like either party either, but mostly I'm sickened that political discussion in the US,rather than simply being a political discourse (in which people are allowed and encouraged to develop their own thoughts and beliefs), it's simply become a series of vicious personal attacks. Too much vitriol, it's no wonder we can't have a productive government.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The problem with 'protest votes' is that you simply allow someone else to chose the lesser of two evils.

NOTA isn't necessarily a 'protest vote'. It is a movement to add a Constitutional Amendment that will give voters the option to vote, yet not vote for the current candidates. It is working hard to try and prevent the masses from choosing the "lesser of two evils".

On the ballot, "the list of candidates for each office would be followed by the votable line "None of the Above; For a New Election", or something similar. If the that option gets more votes than any candidate for the office, then no one is elected to the office; instead, a follow-up by-election with new candidates must be held to fill that office, until a candidate wins a plurality of votes among all other candidates including "None of the Above.""

So, at least in theory, if used properly it would act as a "checks and balances" system built into the voting process, working to put someone into office that the majority of people truly want there, and not letting a candidate who is simply more 'tolerable' win the election.

http://www.nota.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand what it tries to do, however, without a constitutional amendment (which would actually be difficult to slide by the states rights folks) it's not happening. Until then, we have our choice of two people.. like it or not (despite my preference for most things libertarian, I know they'll never win a general presidential election).. and despite the fact that I've voted twice for Frank Zappa :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
that sounds like a pretty lousy thing to add to our Constitution....

OTOH, I will vote for McCain (I'm actually a Ron Paul fan) because of his stance against abortion. If we can't defend life in our own country, why even exist as a nation?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that sounds like a pretty lousy thing to add to our Constitution....

OTOH, I will vote for McCain (I'm actually a Ron Paul fan) because of his stance against abortion. If we can't defend life in our own country, why even exist as a nation?

personally, i can't take it when people vote republican as a "pro-life" stance, this is the same party that is typically pro-war, pro-death penalty, and neglectful of animal rights. the religious right should come up with a "religitarian" party and let the republicans go back to the dignified past they had decades ago.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
personally, i can't take it when people vote republican as a "pro-life" stance, this is the same party that is typically pro-war, pro-death penalty, and neglectful of animal rights. the religious right should come up with a "religitarian" party and let the republicans go back to the dignified past they had decades ago.

Not to mention that the Republicans have been in power in some form or another since 1994 and it is STILL legal. Seems like a failure to me...

DB, politics have always been like this. Dirty, loud and off-topic...nothing has changed.

Furthermore, it is not any different in any other country. People are people...if you are looking for that to change anytime soon, you are going to have a tough time ahead of you :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
A vote for Obama is a vote for a better US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to mention that the Republicans have been in power in some form or another since 1994 and it is STILL legal. Seems like a failure to me...

Thep orblem there is that it will probably have to come through the Court, just like most big issues in America.

The Court has been under liberal majority for all that time, and now has a 5-4 conservative majority (barely 5-4). McCain will select pro-life justices, which is the only way abortion will end.

Abortion is the killing of an innocent human being. This principle does not (supposedly) apply to the death penalty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Abortion may be killing for you, but a good portion of this country doesn't think so. Plus, getting rid of Roe v Wade won't get rid of abortion as it will then become a state issue and the liberal states will still allow it to continue, and to be honest, I don't see too many conservative states outlawing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53ghz MBP
Funny thing about abortion, i heard (cant remember from where) that hitlers mom considered abortion. Anyways i would have liked to see McCain pick Lieberman because i feel thats who he really wanted as VP and being from CT i like him and what he's done. Palin on the other hand i feel is very inexperienced and the fact that McCain barley knew her before choosing her bothers me.

My main concern for this election is the economy and the war and thats why I am leaning towards Obama because i believe he can better the economy and that he will get us out of Iraq in a reasonable way.

The main reason why i can't see myself voting for McCain/Palin is because of McCain's age/health and Palin's inexperience. I also don't like that he is for the war.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Thep orblem there is that it will probably have to come through the Court, just like most big issues in America.

The Court has been under liberal majority for all that time, and now has a 5-4 conservative majority (barely 5-4). McCain will select pro-life justices, which is the only way abortion will end.

Abortion is the killing of an innocent human being. This principle does not (supposedly) apply to the death penalty.

The court has been conservative for years. It has had ample opportunity to overturn Roe v. Wade if it felt inclined to. However, if you study US Courts, you would know there are plenty of reasons why it hasn't been overturned. And why it probably won't be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The court has been conservative for years. It has had ample opportunity to overturn Roe v. Wade if it felt inclined to. However, if you study US Courts, you would know there are plenty of reasons why it hasn't been overturned. And why it probably won't be.

seriously? perhaps we have a misunderstanding of 'conservative'. by conservative, i basically meant pro-life. Because thats what i was referencing.

And I have studied Court history, mind you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having either "pro-life" or pro-choice judges on any court, let alone the Supreme Court, is a horrible idea. I want objective judges sitting on the bench who will rule based on the merits of the particular case, not because of a pre-existing moral code that they then apply to each case.

I don't know why you call it pro-life, it's not like the other side is pro-death, they're pro-choice. So technically, you hold a position of anti-choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure I consider being 'pro-life' to be a core conservative belief. A core modern Republican belief, probably.. but to be honest I find the LBT's to be more 'conservative' in nature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By conservative he meant social conservatives, as in the views espoused by the religious right, not conservatism in the traditional sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By conservative he meant social conservatives, as in the views espoused by the religious right, not conservatism in the traditional sense.
I figured that out. It's (the co-opting of the word conservative) rapidly becoming a personal sore point ;) I'm a conservative, just like Frank Zappa was :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anti-choice? yes, I guess I would prefer that women not have the choice to kill their children...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.