• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

new iphone 6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The smaller sized iPhone 6 is the one I like. I've handled large screen smart phones in stores and while they look great, they're not something that I want to carry around. That's just my opinion of course, however, lots of folks love them, just not me. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
As a long time iPhone user... Completely underwhelmed. Where are the leading features that puts it ahead of the competition? Practically everything announced today may be a first for the iPhone, but most of it has already been done elsewhere. And some of its features where Apple has been lagging that users were hoping for an upgrade are actually staying the same. So, we are being asked to pay premium prices just so Apple can catch up a little with what the rest of its competition is already doing?

Not likely. There are better mobile devices for the money than what Apple announced today.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I mean no disrespect but that's what gets said after every single keynote.

Yet every year on year iPhone sales increase. I'm no betting man but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happens again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Practically everything announced today may be a first for the iPhone, but most of it has already been done elsewhere.
As with any of the last three or so iOS releases. Let's see:
- Landscape mode for the phone - why is this a selling point?
- Normal screen sizes on an iPhone. Thanks for catching up to smartphones of years ago.
- Finally hitting 1080p. Thanks for making an HD display available for the phone.

To be fair, it does have some impressive hardware but nothing that puts it years ahead of anything else on the market (however much Apple's marketing team wants to spin it).

As much as I held out these years, finally catching up to other smartphones on some key points (no longer does the iPhone have a display size designed for children...finally) has made it a more attractive option for me. **** hath frozen over it would seem. Indeed, the tight integration with OS X looks so so very nice.

I mean no disrespect but that's what gets said after every single keynote.
Because Apple always puts out catch up phones. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I will say, have been waiting for the iPhone 6. I am at the end of my cellphone contract so I can get a new one. I currently have a Samsung galaxy note 2 - which I still love and that says a lot for me. I have a habit of wanting the newest, latest and greatest asap.

So before I take the plunge, I will visit a store and hold them both. I will have to be very impressed. I do like the A8 64-bit processor and the M8 co-processor. The NFC for payments does not impress me. I don't like my phone handling any money transactions. I have enough issues with my debit card (Home Depot). Actually, I am thinking of going old school using only cash or checks! ;D

The one big draw for me is the integration an iPhone will give me with my iPad and MB's. I plan to wait for the shake out though. See what issues crop up - like real battery life, OS 8, any design problems.

Lisa

Reaction score
As a long time iPhone user... Completely underwhelmed. Where are the leading features that puts it ahead of the competition? Practically everything announced today may be a first for the iPhone, but most of it has already been done elsewhere. And some of its features where Apple has been lagging that users were hoping for an upgrade are actually staying the same. So, we are being asked to pay premium prices just so Apple can catch up a little with what the rest of its competition is already doing?

Not likely. There are better mobile devices for the money than what Apple announced today.

As much as I completely agree with you, and I even described my feelings as "underwhelmed" as well, I don't see myself switching with that Apple Watch on the horizon. I'd have to say that was definitely their saving grace today.

It's pretty evident that a majority of their time went into planning for the watch and not for the phone. I currently have a 4s and I've been due for an upgrade for quite some time. At first I was contemplating just getting a cheap 5s and waiting for the next iPhone 6s to use my upgrade, but you know with the new ios 8 software the battery life of the 5s is going to take a hit, and I can't stand using a battery charging case.

So, as much as I'm not crazy about the new iPhone 6, I'll get it so I can be happy with my Apple Watch and never take my phone out of my pocket (if it fits in there to begin with).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, you mentioned 1080p HD. Did they say that in the Keynote? Reason I ask is many reviews I have seen are saying 720p on the 4.7" and are blasting the phone because of that.

Is it 1080p or 720p?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is it 1080p or 720p?

LtrjMaJ.png

I love my Apple ecosystem, but I will wait until next year for the new iPhone. Ill take a good look at the watch, not because its Apple, but because I haven't worn a watch in 15 yrs and I do feel naked still without it, so I have a bracelet instead.

Couldn't believe they didn't give us Yosemite release dates because really iOS8 without Yosemite is just another iOS . . . ! does really complement the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm going to pass on this one. Both phones are much bigger than I care for. Heck, the iP5S was a bit big for my jeans pockets. I have no desire to have any NFC in anything I own so some anonymous geek can rob me. I'd rather fight 'em for my wallet and make 'em work for it. Honestly, I'm looking forward to getting last year's phone at a discount more than buying a new version.

Reaction score
Whelp i for one will be purchasing one or the other. Why because i believe every dang thing apple tells me. Every time i have 2 days of crazy fun and then I just use it as a phone. However i am OK with that.

P.S. Hello everyone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It seems the ladies like the large phones. My wife and sister in law both think they're great but that's because they carry the phone in their hand bag which already weighs 10 LBs. ;P

Reaction score
My husband like big phone. Personally I think iPhone 6 Plus is too big to be a phone. :|

iPhone 6:
Height: 138.1 mm (5.44 inches)
Width: 67.0 mm (2.64 inches)
Depth: 6.9 mm (0.27 inches)
Weight: 129 grams (4.55 ounces)
1334x750-pixel resolution at 326 ppi

iPhone 6 Plus:
Height: 158.1 mm (6.22 inches)
Width: 77.8 mm (3.06 inches)
Depth: 7.1 mm (0.28 inches)
Weight: 172 grams (6.07 ounces)
1920x1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have no desire to have any NFC in anything I own so some anonymous geek can rob me.n.

And this is everyones miss understanding, with the NFC, they are not going to be able to use it, unless they chop your finger off. You saw in the Keynote that you had to use the finger scanner for NFC to work. If you dropped your wallet, then your screwed as signatures are easy to forge, and the the NFC cards we have in Aust let you buy $100 of something without any Code or Sig . . . Bring on NFC Finger Scanner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
What's the point of a phone so large that it won't fit easily into a pocket. My iPhone 4 fits easily into my jeans front pocket, which means I carry it everywhere. Where am I supposed to put an iPhone 6? Answers on a bigger than necessary postcard please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It seems the ladies like the large phones. My wife and sister in law both think they're great but that's because they carry the phone in their hand bag which already weighs 10 LBs. ;P

LMAO. You've nailed it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why because i believe every dang thing apple tells me.
Why? This is a company that said that larger phones were ridiculous...

Also would like some stats on the battery claim you made. I have an iPhone 5s and it lasts me 2-3 days between charges.
I know someone who has an iP4s which has the worst battery I've ever seen on an electronic device - iOS can't read the state (one moment it's at 20%, the next at 1% and 43% a minute later) and it shuts down randomly due to a supposed lack of charge. Batteries are flaky and they degrade over time.

And this is everyones miss understanding, with the NFC, they are not going to be able to use it, unless they chop your finger off. You saw in the Keynote that you had to use the finger scanner for NFC to work.

Yes, people are rather shockingly ignorant about NFC and Touch ID I find.
Touch ID has been hacked, like any other technological device. One hacker called it "no challenge at all" (source) with others calling it not strong but "convenient" security (source). I'd say that being concerned about putting your credit info behind an easily hackable convenient security measure isn't ignorant but is in fact quite smart. In fact, putting multiple credit cards on any sort of device that can be lost is ridiculous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.