New external SSD.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Carbon copy Cloner can too with the same caveats.
A lot of people want a bootable clone with an updateable Macintosh HD as it was in the past. Sadly that is no longer possible, thanks to Apple.
If I wanted to create a bootable clone of my HD tomorrow I could do so long as I didn't mind erasing my current clone backup. Then should there be an update to macOS 11 next week I would have to either either repeat the above process or update each drive independently.

As far as I know it's exactly the same deal with Super Duper.
The catch with that, and I am not alone I discovered from Bombich, is that in some cases booting an updated device from an earlier version on a clone can cause damage to the macOS on the internal HD and in some cases render the clone unusable.

After being a victim I avoided this on subsequent updates by updating the clone first.

Just another pitfall to complicate the process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I just want to point out, as an aside, that SuperDuper! :

now claims to be able to make bootable clones from both M1 and Intel-based Macs running Big Sur:

There *are* two minor gotcha's. First is that you have to update to the 11.4 version of Big Sur. The second is that a bootable backup from an M1-based Mac won't boot an Intel-based Mac, and vice versa.
One other caveat is that an M1-based Mac won't boot if the internal storage has failed. There are hidden Containers in the storage that cannot be located on an external drive. From this website: Why cloning Big Sur isn’t as useful for an M1 Mac

If your Mac’s internal SSD were to fail, as any external disk lacks the other two crucial containers, that Mac will no longer boot, and even if it did, cloning that external disk back to the internal SSD wouldn’t help you recover that Mac, as it would still be missing those other two containers.

You CAN boot from an external drive on an M1 system as long as the internal storage is intact. That's not as useful as the "old" clones were, but it is something.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Rod,
Reading your post 39 I think I'll go that way. I've never copied a clone to the computer before so I might need a bit more info' on doing this. So if I boot from the Catalina clone then go to DU, do I erase the internal drive from there? If that's right, how would I put the Catalina clone on, or is it as easy as selecting it in startup disc and that installs it?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
First make sure you can boot from the Catalina clone. If so, open DU and you should see your clone at the top of the list on the left. The next drive down will be listed as a Media drive with a manufacturer's name. Under that should be Macintosh HD divided into 2 partitions. If possible Unmount both partitions. Then select and Erase the Media drive.
You will need to Name it (Macintosh HD), Format it (APFS), and Map it (GUID).

Now open CCC. The Clone will now be the Source and the Macintosh HD will be the Target. Now clone the Source to the Target and you should have a duplicate of your Catalina backup on your internal HD.

Bear in mind I have never done this in this way. I really do not advise it and cannot predict the outcome but theoretically it should work.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks again Rod, I forgot to say that I booted OK from the CCC clone to Catalina. I'll now pluck spend a bit of time to pluck up courage to do it.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess, if it was me, I'd grab another EHD and make a new clone (CCC) of Big Sur as it is now using the "Legacy" method I mentioned earlier so it should be Bootable, just in case it all goes sideways. That way you can recover. An SSD would be ideal.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha, I've all ready put life and limb on the line with the SSD's that I've bought lately. If you never hear from me again, you'll know what happened. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to be so long getting back to you all. I've been back and forth to hospitals etc, having more tests than a terrible driver trying to get a licence.
I've decided I will go back to Catalina, but I foolishly didn't make a bootable installer. Is there any hope for me? :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hoody, I'm sorry to hear about your hospital tests I know what a drag that can be. I do hope everything works out okay for you.
We are about to see macOS Monterey released meaning you will be going back two operating systems but yes it can be done.
You just need to download the Catalina Installer app. You can create a bootable installer from that with a free third party app.
The only catch is that you must commit to completely erasing your HD in order to install an earlier macOS which in an exercise in itself and not without some risks.
If you really want to go this way I suggest you first download the Catalina Installer from Apple. We can go from there.
Personally, unless you are having functional problems with BS I would not recommend it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod,
No worries, you just have to take these things in your stride.
Anyway, my main worry about staying with BS is the CCC backup. I've read the posts above and I'm really confused with the way the clone is made, even with all the help I've had above.
The scenario I can see is having something go wrong and needing to use the clone to get going again but losing everything anyway.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@hoody, I understand you’re concern but it’s not too difficult especially if that’s the only reason for going back to Catalina.

You can make a bootable CCC clone. Using the Legacy method I mentioned.
You can continue to backup BS user data to that clone.
You can boot your device from the clone and access all your current data.
You cannot update the OS on the clone the way we used to; by performing a backup of your updated Mac. Eg. If you update your Mac to macOS 10.5.2 from 10.5.1 and perform a CCC backup it will stay at macOS 10.5.1

This is not a problem for you since we are probably at the last version of BS to be released anyway.

If the worst happened and your HD crashed, you could boot from your clone, even if it was an earlier version of BS or you could restore your data and OS to a new HD.

So, if that’s all you’re worried about, don’t.;)

If you would like me to walk you through the process of making a bootable clone of BS, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hoody, Rod is correct and sticking with BS would be a better approach, I think. Cloning is not as valuable for M1 Macs, but Intel Macs can still use cloned backups for booting if the internal drive fails. It's a bit more painful, as Rod indicated, but definitely do-able.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here I am again at last. As I just can't get my head around all this stuff about clones etc, I'll have to stay with BS. It's my fault for not being able to understand this, so no reflection on anyone who's tried to help me. I'm using CCC 6.0.2 on an external SSD. If I get into any trouble where I need to re-install BS I'll be sure to get back to you for help.
Ps: I've just updated to 6.0.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't sweat the clones, @hoody. You can use CCC to do your backups just fine. Odds are you won't need the clone to boot, anyway. If you reinstall BS, your data can be retrieved from the clone and get you back to where you were. The key is to have YOUR stuff backed up. The system can be reinstalled from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Jake advises, do your backup and if a clean install is ever needed, use Recovery to download a sparkling clean OS, and then with external connected use Migration Assistant to bring things over.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Big ditto from me on the above. (y) (y)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As the meerkat says Rod 'simples'!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all. I've made a BS installer and while I hope to never need it, I know it's there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.