New external SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,
After a lengthy wait my new Crucial X8 2TB SSD arrived today to take the place of the spinner. I've just read on here that my mid 2019 macbook air with 4GB of ram and a 1TB internal SSD would be able to handle Big Sur. So first of all, is that OK?
Second, if I do this, should I copy the Catalina clone to the new drive first, via CCC then upgrade to Big Sur and what's the best way to format the new drive. Is it APFS?
I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do/not to do and in what order.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Apple's system requirements for Big Sur suggest that your Mac could run it. Personally, I think *8 GB of memory would be better, but Apple says 4 GB will work. macOS Big Sur - Technical Specifications

The drive will need to be formatted APFS. You should copy the Catalina clone to the new drive using CCC and then install Big Sur on top of that. You won't be able to run 32-bit software under Big Sur.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks for that. I'll take the chance to upgrade, doing it how you said. Fingers crossed that the 4GB works OK. I'm off to do it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I've just read on here that my mid 2019 macbook air with 4GB of ram and a 1TB internal SSD would be able to handle Big Sur. So first of all, is that OK?

The 2019 MBA shipped with either 8 or 16GB memory, not 4GB, and there wasn't a Mid 2019 MBA. I see from an earlier post you mentioned a Mid 2013 MBA with 4GB. I suspect you have this Mid 2013 model. Yes, this will run Big Sur, but bear in mind this is the oldest MBA that will run Big Sur which may effect its performance, only time will tell. Keep a clone of the current SSD incase you need to go back to Catalina. I had noted the MBA's are quite nippy even with 4GB, but myself only use models with 8GB.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would just check your stats under the Apple Menu > About this Mac. I have a 2015 MBP with 8GB of RAM and I know that running multiple apps on Big Sur can sometimes result in spinning "beachballs" so I'm not sure if Big Sur is advisable. There is really not a lot to gain over macOS Catalina. I think I would give Catalina a try for a few weeks, see how you like it and how well it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2019 MBA shipped with either 8 or 16GB memory, not 4GB, and there wasn't a Mid 2019 MBA. I see from an earlier post you mentioned a Mid 2013 MBA with 4GB. I suspect you have this Mid 2013 model. Yes, this will run Big Sur, but bear in mind this is the oldest MBA that will run Big Sur which may effect its performance, only time will tell. Keep a clone of the current SSD incase you need to go back to Catalina. I had noted the MBA's are quite nippy even with 4GB, but myself only use models with 8GB.
Doh. Of course it's as you say, a mid 2013 MBA. Thanks.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would just check your stats under the Apple Menu > About this Mac. I have a 2015 MBP with 8GB of RAM and I know that running multiple apps on Big Sur can sometimes result in spinning "beachballs" so I'm not sure if Big Sur is advisable. There is really not a lot to gain over macOS Catalina. I think I would give Catalina a try for a few weeks, see how you like it and how well it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod, I don't normally run more than two apps or tabs on Firefox. I've put the spinner with Catalina in a cupboard while I see how it go's.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No worries Pete, I mean the objective is to keep your device running, able to perform all of the tasks you need and keep your data safe. Given this device is around nine years old I think you have done really well in your care and Maintainence. Do you think you will get another model when that one dies, which sadly it will eventually?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Rod,
I suppose nine years is a long time with computers, but hopefully it won't turn it's toes up too soon. As for getting another one; probably won't be able to afford it. We've still got the iMac but that's a late 2012 model. :( Finger crossed though as we've come to rely on computers, as have a lot of others. One thing's for sure though: I won't be going back to windows no matter how cheap they are.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had BS for a couple of days now and it seems to run OK, although a touch slower than with Catalina. Having said that; I think the extra support time is an advantage of updating.

I have the CCC clone of Catalina on the spinner in the cupboard, but I think I'll be OK with BS. A question I do have to ask though. I have 5.1.27, but notice there's a paid upgrade to 6. Is it worth taking up this offer or do I just keep using 5.1.27? Another part to the same question is do I just do a CCC back up as I did before the upgrade? I haven't done one yet, so I'd like to make some headway on this.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it’s just a little bit complicated. It depends entirely if you want a bootable CCC clone or just a restorable copy of your data?
As you are currently running CCC 5 theoretically you could continue to backup to that disk but I have not tried this and to be honest I wouldn’t. I always make a fresh CCC copy of new major Mac OS upgrades. This is what Bombich has to say on the topic and I think you would qualify for an update discount.

The other aspect of your question goes back to my question about Bootable clones. See: Creating legacy bootable backups of macOS Big Sur | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

As you will see, Big Sur has complicated the process or rather Apple have, to the extent that many are questioning the need for a bootable backup at all, especially with the new silicon M1 Macs.

You can use the Legacy Bootable Backup technique but there’s a caveat. You cannot update the system files on your clone by performing a new backup of an updated macOS.
You must do one of two things, Perform the Legacy Bootable Backup technique again, thus erasing your current backup or boot your computer from the clone and update it from Software Update, just like your internal drive.
I had a few problems with this but discovered if I updated the clone and disconnected it before my internal SSD everything went smoothly

My opinion for what it’s worth, having tried both methods, just backup your Macintosh HD - Data.
If you also have Time Machine as I have then I figur could boot from that or the Recovery partition if available, reinstall my macOS then restore all my data from CCC.

The big loss in my mind is we can no longer boot another compatible Mac with our clone and effectively make it a working copy, say in the case of fire or theft.

A

Applescrumpy

My opinion for what it’s worth, having tried both methods, just backup your Macintosh HD - Data.

If you also have Time Machine as I have then I figur could boot from that or the Recovery partition if available, reinstall my macOS then restore all my data from CCC.

The big loss in my mind is we can no longer boot another compatible Mac with our clone and effectively make it a working copy, say in the case of fire or theft.

I always create a bootable installer on a USB stick just in case I can’t boot from the recovery partition or my TM drive fails. I also have CCC data volume backups.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, me too. A bootable USB macOS installer has saved my bacon a few times in the last few years when nothing else worked.
This is one reason I still really like CCC, if you choose or a forced in my case to perform a clean install CCC is a great source of my original files. I just drag and drop the contents from the external CCC drive to the internal. A lot of other files just sync across from iCloud.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies,

I have to admit that reading the Bombich site confused me more than anything. No criticism, just that there's so much information that it's near on impossible to take it all in unless you know much more about computers than I do.

As I see it, the whole drive is erased to create a back up! If this is the case, what's happened to everything on that drive?

I'll attach a screen shot of my CCC with no external but just to make sure that HD Data (as above in Rods post) is right.

I'll either download the CCC upgrade or go back to Catalina; I just can't decide what's best.

Thanks for the advice so far and sorry to be a pain.

Attachments

• CCC.png
    CCC.png
    245 KB · Views: 12

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I understand your confusion it's a lot of stuff to wade through. Let me kind of condense it down:

CCC 5 can do backups of Big Sur but Bombich suggests that you update to CCC 6.

To create a bootable CCC backup of Big Sur via the Legacy procedure will erase the destination disk.

Bootable Big Sur clones are not updatable by simply performing another backup, the clone needs to be updated independent of your internal drive.
This is what I did after upgrading to MacOS Big Sur. I created a bootable clone then at each new MacOS update I would boot my MBP from my clone and update it to the new version of Big Sur then swap back to my internal SSD and update that. There were so many updates that i got sick of it but it was the only way to maintain the data I already had, the other alternative being to erase the target drive and create a brand new clone thus losing anything in my Safety Net.

In the end I realised that there was no real reason to have a bootable clone. If for example the System crashes on the new silicon (M1) Macs you cant boot them from a bootable clone anyway.

So yes, I updated to CCC 6, created a bootable clone but now I only update Macintosh HD - Data.

If you want to keep what's on your CCC 5 backup intact then you really have no choice than to purchase another EHD for CCC 6. I would advise an SSD if its not out of your financial reach.

Lastly, because you have already upgraded to Big Sur I'd advise you stay with it. Not that upgrading is a one way street but you will not be able to reinstall Catalina without first erasing your internal HD because apple do not allow retrograde updates.
This is a doable task of course but always a bit of a nail biter. The potential for errors and problems is high unless done perfectly.

The line of least resistance to me would be to update to CCC 6, erase the EHD with your old Catalina Clone which will happen as part of your new backup and stick with Big Sur.

If you would really rather go back to Catalina get back to us and we'll give you a step by step guide.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod, you're a star. I'll take the route of CCC 6. The external drive is the new one I've just bought and is the 2TB SSD I mentioned. I have the CCC backup of Catlalina on the spinner. Does this mean that if it does go belly up that I can boot from that and forget BS?

Meanwhile I'll get the upgrade to CCC 6

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to do that without much hassle. I keep a Catalina clone around in addition to my BS clone. I don't use It often, but it's nice to know I can.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
I've got CCC 6 now and paid half price for it. I'm about to do a back up, so here goes, :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the backup is done and I thought I'd try booting from it. I shut down the computer, plugged in the SSD and held 'option' until the password box came up. I entered it and waited and waited. It seemed to take ages for the white bar to go across, but when it did all I got was a black screen with a stationary gear wheel that flicked of for a split second every 30 or so seconds. I gave up after watching this for about 5 minutes.

Next, I forced a shut down by holding the power key down and when that was done I removed the external drive and started the computer again. I plugged in the external and went to start up disc, only to find it's not there. Any ideas, or have I missed something... not unusual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.