• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Negotiating Apple accessories at BestBuy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Mr. Drums, haggling has always been a part of retail? Where do you live? Are you stuck in the middle ages mid-east bazaar way of life? Retail has never been about haggling. Do you work retail? Do you have to deal with people who come in on a day to day basis, find some small thing to complain about like, "Oh, I can't get this computer at the discounted price because I don't get cell service at my house so I can't sign up for a data plan, but you should definitely give me a deal on a different computer just because I'm too cheap to pay for DSL at my house." Do you have any idea how rude that is? A) It costs our company money, because there is little to no mark-up on our PCs, b) it costs us money because instead of being able to help other customers who aren't total jerk-wads (who then end up leaving because nobody is assisting them), we have to focus on trying to please this one person so they don't run around and badmouth the company costing us future sales and business, and c) it costs us money because after something like that, salespeople are put off by customers because it seems like everybody is looking for a hand out, making us less likely to try as hard to help people out.

So, I'm not sure what you're basing that on, but last I knew, haggling died at the bazaar, and while flea markets still exist, a retail outlet ISN'T ONE OF THEM.

F

fade

DarkestRitual, I think you're trying to make a grey issue black and white. I've negotiated prices on a lot of things from retail stores (including Best Buy). I also understand from the sales side why you sometimes can and cant do it. Some places wont do it, some will. There really isn't any harm in asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Darkestritual, clearly you work in retail WITHOUT a commission because in this day and age, there is still a VERY common practice to deal in retail. I am sorry that YOU think it's rude, but I am afraid that's your opinion and you are a minority.

I will continue to ask for a deal on all my retail puchases, there is NOTHING wrong with that, period. And before you go off on a tangent and call me cheap/old fashioned/rude or whatever, next time you buy a car or even a new condo, you BETTER pay full price, otherwise you are a giant hypocrite.

Have a nice day :)

Reaction score
Dark - don't hate, don't hate! You do need a reality check, though. The mid-east bazaar comment was pretty funny, but I'm not sure what you are basing that on. But, if you want to go and pay full price for everything you own in order to help out the business, then go right ahead. You'd be surprised at the deals you can make - and I'm not talking about complaints, as you say. I can't remember ever complaining to make a deal. I'm not rich by any means - I work hard for what I have, and when I make a purchase, you can bet I am going to wheel and deal all I can to get the best price - wherever I go. Your company does not sound like a pleasant place to work, based on your comments.

I'll give you one point though - maybe "haggling" is the wrong word. Maybe it should just be "trying to get the best deal possible" (although it seems to me it's the same thing). As far as I know, that is still a part of retail. At least it is here at the bazaar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well, yea, they'll price match and all, but urgh. Maybe I just have bad experiences. I also deal in PCs, and yes, no commission. :) However, on computers the market is very low, and computer manufacturers make their money on allowing companies to bundle software with their machines, not on profit margins over hardware sales. So maybe in my department it's rude. :) Either way, Apple accessories don't get discounted, because Apple charges us close to what they charge the end user.

Reaction score
Well, so far everything I have seen from apple is pricey, but worth it. You get what you pay for, as they say. Plus they know their products are in very high demand, so they can pretty much name their price I suppose. I personally can't wait until the iPhone comes to Verizon. IMO it is the best touch screen I have seen.

So Dark - you deal in PCs - do you get tired of looking at computers all day, then come home and log on? Just curious - reason I ask is because I have a good friend who is the tech guy for a local school system. One of the most knowledgable computer guys ever - yet when he goes home he won't even touch a computer. He hates the thought of it, and ironically his home PC is very old, still running XP, etc....

Just curious. Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS 32gb,
best buy is the worst place to buy apple prodcuts! They are so un educated around me! I know more then them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.