• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Negotiating Apple accessories at BestBuy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There's a sort of law that goes here. Law of Demand: When prices go up, demand goes down and vice versa. There's another law: Law of Supply: more will be offered for sale at higher prices than at lower prices.

I totally agree there and with your post.
But I am a cheapo who always tries to buck those laws to get a good price :)

D3v1L80Y said:
Would you haggle over the price of Corn Flakes at the grocery store?
Would you haggle over the price of medications at the pharmacy?
Would you haggle over the price of gasoline when you visit the pumps?
Would you haggle over the price of a CD at the music store?
Would you haggle over the price of a ticket at the movie theater?
Would you haggle over the price of a visit to your doctor?
Would you haggle over the price of a value meal at a fast food joint?
Would you haggle over the price of a pack of gum at a corner store?
Would you haggle over the price of the KWH price on your electric bill?

Ok my answers to all of those.

-No cause I'm happy paying the price I do. I think for where I am cornflakes are a fair price.
-No cause I do not drive.
-Yes all the time. I shop around, and I tell some stores other stores prices and see if they can beat it. Sure most times they are like go away, but sometimes they are like alright I'll sell the album to you for a cheaper price. It's a hard thing to bargin at the record stores but when it pays off I feel all good inside. Cause I love my music.
-Heck yes. I get my student discount + I ask for $1 off always cause I go tuesday night. They have no Tuesday specials I just say "come on it's your slow night, so give me the $1 off and I'll buy the ticket" and it works at the place I go sometimes.
-No. Cause I'm poor and I get bulk billing.
-No. I'm a chef and have to time and no want to eat fast food.
-No cause I do not eat gum.
-Personally no. But the public as a whole in my state has put a petition forward in court to have the rate lowered. So that's kind of haggling on a mass scale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor
However, that practice is not prevalent in a retail establishment.
Attempting to do so is highly unorthodox and in many cases simply rude and unacceptable behavior.

I'm curious as to why you think this is rude and unacceptable?
My response to your list of questions for haggling would be..You don't know until you ask. If I try to get a discount on something (anything on your list) and I am told no, then I don't ask again. But IF I DONT ASK, how will I know?
Examples:
Call a Hotel for a room rate. THEN ask them if they will give you a discount for AAA or AARP. Most often they will but they didn't quote me that UNTIL I ASKED. What was rude about asking there?
My ISP quoted me a rate that I (obviously) accepted and paid for over a year until I found out they were offering less to others after me. I wasn't called and informed that I could get it cheaper. They were all too happy to accept my money. I ASKED them about lowering the rate because I felt I was not getting the best deal and they gladly gave me a better rate. They did not call me rude for asking. How is that unacceptable?
The Bottom line is: You never know until you ask if a price is set or not. All they can do is say yes or no. If that is rude...so be it. Personally I think someone who doesn't at least ASK for a discount (assuming they want one that is...) then they will never know if they could have gotten a better price.
Rude or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm curious as to why you think this is rude and unacceptable?
My response to your list of questions for haggling would be..You don't know until you ask. ...
Asking is fine.
I agree with you on that.

If you ask and it's yes, then you might score a deal.
If the answer is no, then it's no.
Asking once is fine.
You ask and you get an answer.

That isn't haggling, though.

Haggling is when someone fails to accept the answer they are given.
Haggling would imply a rigorous back and forth session of offer/counter offer.
Haggle is defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as:
to annoy or exhaust with wrangling over the price

Haggling is hounding, pleading, making "offers" or demands and giving the idle threat of an ultimatum "I'll just take my business elsewhere" in hopes to break down the will and patience of a retailer until a person gets a certain price.

It is argumentative and rude.

So, again, asking is perfectly fine.
Just be prepared to accept the answer you receive... and "No" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
M-W notes that that usage is archaic.

The OS X Oxford dictionary defines it as, "dispute or bargain persistently, esp. over the cost of something." That's a much better definition.

There's a fine art to haggling. You have to be friendly enough to keep the seller's interest, but firm and persistent enough to overcome resistance.If you're rude and abusive, you not only won't get a discount, you'll likely get thrown out or arrested. That's no way to haggle.

Ever bought a car? If you didn't haggle (eg. you paid full sticker, or bought a Saturn) you paid too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you're rude and abusive, you not only won't get a discount, you'll likely get thrown out or arrested. That's no way to haggle.
And therein lies the issue.

Asking once for a discount or 'better' price is acceptable... flat out arguing and throwing a tantrum like a toddler isn't.

I have witnessed this sort of unruly behavior and rude haggling on many occasions both as a passing observer while shopping and as the employee being "haggled" with.
In almost every case, the 'customer' (and I use the term loosely) has always prevailed... despite their rude, belligerent and abusive behavior.
Even when, in the position of manager if I denied a discount or cheaper price for a haggler, I was eventually overruled by a district/regional manager or other corporate suit.
Despite that I had been berated, verbally abused, threatened with 'legal' action and even in some cases, bodily harm... my decision to deny a haggler was overturned by someone in a position higher than I.
Ever bought a car? If you didn't haggle (eg. you paid full sticker, or bought a Saturn) you paid too much.
I have bought several cars over the years.
I have also noted that this is an acceptable time to haggle... though for me the preferred term would be negotiate.

Haggling implies a negative action, akin to whining or baseless demanding.
Negotiating has a more respectable and civilized tone to it.
So, don't 'haggle' and think that you are 'negotiating'.
The two terms aren't really interchangeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
It is possible to get a deal at Best Buy. A few weeks ago Apple introduced a new model 13" macbook. Our Best Buy still had a few of the old models left in stock. I bought one for our computer club for $585.00, and that price included a Snow Leopard disk and they threw in an external video monitor adaptor. I know that their employees got one or two of them, and my friend was lucky enough to get another one. My club is delighted with the purchase. However, as a rule I prefer to buy from the Apple Store.

Reaction score
It is possible to get a deal at Best Buy. A few weeks ago Apple introduced a new model 13" macbook. Our Best Buy still had a few of the old models left in stock. I bought one for our computer club for $585.00, and that price included a Snow Leopard disk and they threw in an external video monitor adaptor. I know that their employees got one or two of them, and my friend was lucky enough to get another one. My club is delighted with the purchase. However, as a rule I prefer to buy from the Apple Store.

I checked out my Best Buy. They had NUMEROUS old 13" MacBooks left over. Including the beat up display model with no battery and a sticky (or powerful) magnetic latch. The display model was like, $899 (as advertised too), but I heard you could get a sweet deal on them. I told my Dad, and he said no. :Grimmace:

Although the display model I did test and mess around with. Smooth, but if you open up the "Try This Mac" application, everything bogs down to a standstill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No, products at a retail establishment are set at a price from the manufacturer.

You haggle over the price of a car or a house... you can haggle at a yard sale... you can even haggle at an outdoor Middle Eastern produce market... and that's about it.

There is no haggling in retail.

If you don't like the price, either find it cheaper elsewhere or simply don't buy it.

Dude, this is so far from the truth! You can DEFINITELY haggle prices at best-buy. It's only some items, like some computers, and items already on sale, that can't get their price lowered. You can't get them to mix the prices of two or more items if one of those item's price can't be lowered. We got an awesome deal on our sony 1000 watt surround system! But, if you go right into the store asking for the lowest price, all you will get is a big, GTHO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I checked out my Best Buy. They had NUMEROUS old 13" MacBooks left over.

Here in Las Vegas we are lucky to have three Apple Stores. I imagine that our local Best Buys don't keep a lot of Apple inventory for that reason. In areas where there are no Apple Stores close by, I bet the Best Buys do have a lot more stock on hand. We called around to all six of our Best Buys, and I know we got the last three of the close outs in town.

Reaction score
Here in Las Vegas we are lucky to have three Apple Stores. I imagine that our local Best Buys don't keep a lot of Apple inventory for that reason. In areas where there are no Apple Stores close by, I bet the Best Buys do have a lot more stock on hand. We called around to all six of our Best Buys, and I know we got the last three of the close outs in town.

There's only one Apple Store, which about 15 miles away from me and about 10 miles away from my nearest Best Buy. Even still, my Dad hates BB, and still bought all my iPod's from BB (well okay, my first iPod- an iPod video 5G black 30gig came from Circuit City). But my Power Mac came from Adopt A Mac and my next Mac he says came from the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Oh the Sensitive Steves in this thread!

Paying retail is for suckers. There is NO harm in asking, if you don't try, you can't get a deal.

Of course some places don't haggle and with their response, it's clear and you either accept it and buy it or leave.

I used to work in retail and it is ABSOLUTELY acceptable, NOT RUDE and no, you weirdos, you will not get arrested. Then again, maybe I just know how to ask politely.

If someone in retail were rude to me for asking, that would make me LOL SO hard.

Reaction score
I receive Best Buy's discount coupons in the mail, and asked the Apple rep in my local BB if a 12% off coupon would apply to a Time Capsule. The rep said it looked fine, according to the fine print.

Upon checking out, it was denied. I asked for a manager, and pointed out that the coupon was valid for, among other things, "wireless routers," "networking devices," and "external hard drives."

The manager admitted that the verbiage does in fact sound like the Time Capsule would be valid for the discount. However, he explained that Apple (and Bose) are so rigid on their pricing policies, that they refuse to honor any discounts at all. The coupon did say that Bose products were excluded, but did not mention Apple products.

So, instead of taking 12% off the $299 Time Capsule, the manager took $35 (roughly equivalent discount) off of the digital camera I was also purchasing at the time.

So, BB can be flexible, but not on Apple. Or Bose. It took an error and a technicality on their part, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Best buy sells computers very close to at cost. Apple is at cost. There is no haggling, and yes, it is rude to try. It stresses we salespeople out, and is unnecessary. Either you want the product or don't. The tag is there. Make up your mind.

Reaction score
I have never seen any discounts on Apple products (besides the Teacher or Student ones - which don't amount to too much anyway). But having a friend who works at the Apple store is good for a few "under the table" freebies every now and then! It's all in who ya know!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have never seen any discounts on Apple products (desides the Teacher or Student ones - which don't amount to too much anyway). But having a friend who works at the Apple store is good for a few "under the table" freebies every now and then! It's all in who ya know!

I have friends that work at the apple store and I have yet to see any freebies.

Reaction score
Crimson - sounds like you need better friends! lol

D3v1L80Y

So let me get this straight - you basically think that people haggling with a retailer in order to try and get a better price has partly caused the economic crisis we are in the midst of now......interesting theory. Flawed and slightly amusing, but interesting. True there are some things that just can't be negotiated, and IMO, I'd pay a higher price for some specific products if it means great customer service, but haggling for the best price has ALWAYS been part of retail, and an important part at that. It's how some companies have stayed in business and have weathered the storm. I can name probably a dozen local businesses that fit that model, so don't kid yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
There are company discounts that you can get directly from Apple. The company I'm contracted at gets an 8% discount on Apple computers and Displays. Works online and at the Apple Stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There are company discounts that you can get directly from Apple. The company I'm contracted at gets an 8% discount on Apple computers and Displays. Works online and at the Apple Stores.

Same here! We recently found out all the great discounts offered through my moms job...verizon, att, hp, dell, and apple...non of which we need or don't already have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.