Macbook air running out of space.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
krs,
Yes the info' came from Macfixit Australia and apple, but I do find it hard to believe. If by the interface you mean the means of connecting it, then yes it's compatible, I double checked that and it's an OWC SSD as well, who I believe have a good rep'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK, then Hoody, what you want is the HS installer, right? If you had that, you would do a clean install of HS on the new drive from a USB bootable installer thumb drive, then use Migration Assistant to get your apps/data back from the CCC clone or TM backup. Is that the end goal?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi again all,
I've given up. Despite all the good advice I've had on here I couldn't do it so it's now with a man near me that works on apple/mac.
Thanks to all for the trouble you've put in to replies, suggestions and instructions, but I was going round in circles as well as confusing everybody else hence the giving up bit.
I'll come back when I get it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We will be waiting, Hoody. Good luck with it!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
I'm on the imac now and the screen seems huuuuge after the macbook.
I'll post when I get it back.
It would have come close to being a door stop except that it's too thin. I even contemplated a frisbee at one stage. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the macbook back yesterday, played about setting things how I like them and noticed I had no bookmarks or email addresses; I suppose there's a way to get them back; maybe with the time machine back up from Sierra?
Anyway, I put it on charge last night and plugged in the brand new external HDD and did a CCC bootable back up. When it had finished I ejected the back up disc and left it on charge until I got a green light. I unplugged it and went to bed without turning it off. Got up this morning and it was hot but I couldn't get anything out of it. I'd tried holding the power button for 10 seconds, five seconds and just a quick press but nothing. It went back to the repair man who phoned me not long after I got home and it seems normal again now. He said it must have run all night (the battery was down to 25%) but the screen was off. He must have taken the back off and unplugged the battery I suppose. Now I'll hope to use the TM back up unless anyone thinks that's not a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To get your emails back, attach and mount the TM drive, open Mail and then invoke TM. It should open in a TM type window but with Mail instead of Finder. Find what you want to restore ad restore it.

I can't help with the bookmarks. I suspect they are recoverable from TM, but I don't know where they would be. Maybe somebody who does will come along and let you know.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, my emails are there, but no addresses and no bookmarks on firefox. Do you think I've simply lost them or would they all be in there (TM back up) somewhere? How about the CCC backup, would there be a danger that the bootable back up done on Sierra would put me back there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, my emails are there, but no addresses and no bookmarks on firefox. Do you think I've simply lost them or would they all be in there (TM back up) somewhere? How about the CCC backup, would there be a danger that the bootable back up done on Sierra would put me back there?
By "addresses" do you mean what is stored in Contacts? Can't help with FF, I don't use it. Maybe somebody who does can point to where FF stores bookmarks for you to see if you can recover them from TM or the clone. As for the clone, it's just a drive with files, so you can copy any file you want from it back to the new system and not copy any of the system stuff. Just connect the drive, let it mount and then use Finder to find whatever you want/need and copy/paste to wherever you want it on the internal. No need to run any cloning software to do that at all. Unlike Time Machine, clones are just that, clones, so they hold files and not links, and no changes are made to the files at all.

krs

Reaction score
To get the Firefox bookmarks, I would just boot into the CCC clone, launch Firefox and save the bookmarks as an HTML file following these instructions:

Then maybe the safest way is to attach that HTML file to an email that you send to yourself.
Send the email with the HTML file - shut down the clone and boot up on your main drive.
Then retrieve your emails which will include the email with the bookmark HTML file.
That bookmark HTML file can then be imported into any browser

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CCC clone was done on Sierra. Will it take me back there if I boot into it? The last thing I want to do is end up where I started.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No. It will not. Carbon Copy Cloner may launch and ask if you need help, say no and quit the app.
Quit as many apps as you can, if this is a "spinner" it will be very slow so the less you have going on the better.
Open FF and export your bookmarks as a HTML file to the desktop. Close FF. Open mail and send an email to yourself with the HTML file attached. Once sent quit Mail and reboot to your internal drive. Check your emails. Save the file to your desktop or wherever. Open FF and go to import bookmarks (same menu as export bookmarks).

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there, I see there are two options - either use external memory or upgrade the hard drive. I basically run a bit more advanced mac and 500GB seems to be fairly enough, but I have to also use Windows on the same macbook, and I am already out of space.
I have a very simple question, I guess it is also in away about macbook running out of space. It is as follows: how do I change memory allocation between macOS and Windows. And an extra question is if you have any experience of using external memory on a bootcamp?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 19.49.49.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 19.49.49.png
    239 KB · Views: 8

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi there, I see there are two options - either use external memory or upgrade the hard drive. I basically run a bit more advanced mac and 500GB seems to be fairly enough, but I have to also use Windows on the same macbook, and I am already out of space.
I have a very simple question, I guess it is also in away about macbook running out of space. It is as follows: how do I change memory allocation between macOS and Windows. And an extra question is if you have any experience of using external memory on a bootcamp?
Hi Tabi Shao, welcome to these forums. You may notice that this thread currently runs to 11 pages. We try to limit each thread to one user question because addressing two subscribers in the same thread can become very confusing. Please repost your question as a New Post in Mac OS - Operating System on the main page.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hooray and thanks to all for the help. I felt better today and managed to export my bookmarks and saved email addresses from the imac to the macbook. It was simpler than I imagined and I was able to email them (bookmarks and email addresses) to myself and add them by the import function. Tomorrow I'll have a try at retrieving some apps from the external drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hey, Pete,

You're in danger of becoming an expert with all your recent successes:):wink. I'm so pleased for you. You give hope to all of us "oldies".

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:giggle: I don't think stumbling around in the dark and getting more wrong than right could be construed as becoming an expert.
Anyway, I've hit another wall and even though it's been explained I can't get some things up and running.
I play with model trains and fit decoders in them to run on DCC (digital command control). To make life easier I use JMRI and Decoder Pro, both free programmes put together by volunteers. These are used with a hardware interface called a Sprog2. These assist with altering the settings in the decoders, of which there are hundreds. I can't get Decoder Pro to work and I think it's something that I'm doing wrong. Maybe there's someone on here who can help with this... please. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Pete,

Couple of suggestions if I may.

1. Start a new thread. Your new challenge is unrelated to the present 118 posts.

2. I'm not really sure that your problem relates to anything Apple so you may find a dearth of replies; or the Admins/Mods may intervene along similar lines.

Ian

krs

Reaction score
I play with model trains and fit decoders in them to run on DCC (digital command control). To make life easier I use JMRI and Decoder Pro......
I play with a Garden Railroad running DCC but I program decoders directly.
For help with JMRI etc. there are forums you can consult (just like this one for Apple products)

krs

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll have a try at retrieving some apps from the external drive.
How do you plan to "retrieve" apps?
You usually can't just copy and paste and expect this to work
Which apps?
Maybe start a new thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.