Macbook air running out of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,
I've got a mid 2013 Macbook air with a 120 Gb hard drive and wondered if it's possible to replace it with a higher capacity one. I've only got about 20Gb left. If not, can I free up space by using Google drive or iCloud. I've never been able to get my head around whether or not I can delete stuff off my HD and use that stuff via the iCloud or Google drives.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Randy. I should have checked before jumping in with the question. Macfixit Australia have OWC 1Tb SSD's for A$520.00, post free... I should think so too. :) I'll order one from them hopefully for delivery next week. It looks as though I won't need any extras to connect it and I've still got the tool kit from when I replaced the battery. For my next question: I've got a CCC back up so I assume I'll need to get a case to put the old drive in when I've swapped it, I also saw that I should upgrade the OS before taking the old one out, but with only the 20 odd Gb left, do you think I can get Mavericks for instance on there? I can't remember how to make sure the the CCC back up is bootable, can you help here as well please. The Macbook is a 6.2 model. Sorry to carry on, but I need someone to hold my hand.

Edit to say that the web page says "blade only." Will that fit straight in?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Macfixit want over A$150.00 for an enclosure and two Torx drivers that I all ready have, do you think this one would be OK. Remember, I know very little about this but can't see how they justify $150.00.

Reaction score
If you'll have a look at the iFixIt page that I cited, it says that your Mac model requires an SSD with a proprietary connector. Make sure that the SSD you intend to purchase has the identical connector, and if it doesn't, you will need an adapter.

I don't know where you read that you should update the OS before switching out the hard drive...but I wouldn't. Stick with what is working and worry about an OS upgrade later, after you've got your new SSD in and working. You don't want to change too many things at one time, because if things don't work, you want to be able to troubleshoot easily.

Once you have your new SSD in and working perfectly...yes, upgrading to Mavericks is a good idea, as Mavericks will reformat your internal SSD to the APFS format, which is optimized for SSD's.

CCC is designed to make clone backups that are bootable. If you don't know if your CCC backup is bootable...try booting from it. Attach it, turn it on, restart with your Option key held down, and choose your clone as your startup disk. If your Mac boots from it, it's bootable! If that doesn't work, see:

As for putting your old internal SSD in an external case....you have to be very careful about choosing an external case to do this. Your MBA doesn't use the common 2.5-inch form factor for SSD's, and it uses a proprietary connector. You need to find a case that accommodates both, and which also can connect to your MBA's USB ports. At this time I don't have a recommendation for the ideal case kit. Maybe someone else here has a recommendation for that.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, the picture on Macfixit's site looks right, but I'll ring on Monday to make sure. I counted the connectors and they're the same. Also, the layout looks right.
Ian, I read through that and didn't understand 99% of it. o_O

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I've got myself in a spot of trouble. While trying to learn a thing or two, I came across an article that said if you fit an SSD to your mac (in this case my imac which I did a while ago) you should turn on trim support. I went in to terminal but can't remember the password. I must have put one in there, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Any tips, or am I locked out permanently? On the macbook it's the same as the login for the computer, but obviously not on this one.

krs

Reaction score
As Macfixit want over A$150.00 for an enclosure and two Torx drivers that I all ready have, do you think this one would be OK. Remember, I know very little about this but can't see how they justify $150.00.
With that enclosure you would need an adapter, or you need a special enclosure like this one

It might be cheaper in the end to get a new external drive, 120 GB or larger (something you can use later as backup or storage), clone the MacBook Air drive to that with CCC or SD, then replace the drive in the MacBook Air and use the new external clone to clone back to the new internal.
And then sell the 120 GB drive you removed from the MBair - after you wiped it clean of course.
If you buy the A$150.- enclosure you would end up with a 120 GB SSD external which in this day and age seems to be a bit small for any serious use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think I've got myself in a spot of trouble. While trying to learn a thing or two, I came across an article that said if you fit an SSD to your mac (in this case my imac which I did a while ago) you should turn on trim support. I went in to terminal but can't remember the password. I must have put one in there, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Any tips, or am I locked out permanently? On the macbook it's the same as the login for the computer, but obviously not on this one.
Is your own account an Admin account? (It probably is, but I don't know how you are set up.) If it is, just enter your password when Terminal prompts. Nothing will appear on the screen, not even "*". Just type it in carefully, hit return and the command will execute. However, on TRIM, you might want to do some research on the drive you choose. A lot of drives have their own garbage collection processes, so TRIM isn't needed as much. Check with OWC, they should be able to advise you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a bit of info:

The drives sold by OWC have built in TRIM support so it is not advisable to attempt to turn it on via the Terminal. I can't speak for other third party drives but I would assume most nowadays support TRIM without having to manually invoke it from the Terminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Forgive me, but I thought MacOS High Sierra was the first operating system capable of reading and writing to APFS systems??
Randy's comment struck me as well.
I think Randy was reading Mavericks but thinking Mojave.

+1. Randy's miss-typed comment definitely needs correction for the OP's benefit.

We all make mistrakes!!!

- Patrick
=======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With that enclosure you would need an adapter, or you need a special enclosure like this one

It might be cheaper in the end to get a new external drive, 120 GB or larger (something you can use later as backup or storage), clone the MacBook Air drive to that with CCC or SD, then replace the drive in the MacBook Air and use the new external clone to clone back to the new internal.
And then sell the 120 GB drive you removed from the MBair - after you wiped it clean of course.
If you buy the A$150.- enclosure you would end up with a 120 GB SSD external which in this day and age seems to be a bit small for any serious use.
Good thinking about simply buying an external SSD as that enclosure still works out at A$150.00.
Edit to ask what do you think of this one A$236.00

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you'll have a look at the iFixIt page that I cited, it says that your Mac model requires an SSD with a proprietary connector. Make sure that the SSD you intend to purchase has the identical connector, and if it doesn't, you will need an adapter.

I don't know where you read that you should update the OS before switching out the hard drive...but I wouldn't. Stick with what is working and worry about an OS upgrade later, after you've got your new SSD in and working. You don't want to change too many things at one time, because if things don't work, you want to be able to troubleshoot easily.

Once you have your new SSD in and working perfectly...yes, upgrading to Mavericks is a good idea, as Mavericks will reformat your internal SSD to the APFS format, which is optimized for SSD's.

CCC is designed to make clone backups that are bootable. If you don't know if your CCC backup is bootable...try booting from it. Attach it, turn it on, restart with your Option key held down, and choose your clone as your startup disk. If your Mac boots from it, it's bootable! If that doesn't work, see:

As for putting your old internal SSD in an external case....you have to be very careful about choosing an external case to do this. Your MBA doesn't use the common 2.5-inch form factor for SSD's, and it uses a proprietary connector. You need to find a case that accommodates both, and which also can connect to your MBA's USB ports. At this time I don't have a recommendation for the ideal case kit. Maybe someone else here has a recommendation for that.
I've got a bootable clone. What I did was opened system pref's > start up disc > I chose the external drive and then restarted and it booted up from that OK. Is that all right?
Is your own account an Admin account? (It probably is, but I don't know how you are set up.) If it is, just enter your password when Terminal prompts. Nothing will appear on the screen, not even "*". Just type it in carefully, hit return and the command will execute. However, on TRIM, you might want to do some research on the drive you choose. A lot of drives have their own garbage collection processes, so TRIM isn't needed as much. Check with OWC, they should be able to advise you.
The new SSD in the imac is a Crucial. Maybe that's OK.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I type in passwords that I can remember but it's not the same as my login. I always thought the they would be the same, but obviously not. It seems to give me three tries where it says "sorry wrong password" and then it doesn't seem to work until I get out of terminal and go back in again, where it all starts again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The password it wants is the one you enter to install software, open System Preferences, etc. If that is what you use for login, that's fine.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The password it wants is the one you enter to install software, open System Preferences, etc. If that is what you use for login, that's fine.
No, it's a different one to my login and I can't remember it, but at least it's not locking me out after 3 attempts... I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'm not communicating well on this. The password you log into your Mac with may well be an admin password. And at that Terminal prompt, any admin password should work. You use your login password to allow software to install and to unlock System Preferences. Both of those actions also require an Admin password. Terminal doesn't have a "special" password.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The login password won't work for terminal and I don't really know the difference between login and admin passwords.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.