Is anyone sorry that they switched?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yep, I regret it.

I can't really webcam with my husband in Iraq - which was the problem with our old comp. as well, and this switch has stuck us with Yahoo for our only choice and yahoo sucks.

Try Skype. Both the Mac and Windows version has video and it's actually very good quality. And its free.

Programs lock up, everything costs extra money,

I have no lockup problems. As for extra money, what are you exactly talking about? If it's software, there is tons of quality open source free software for Mac.

you cannot use "just that one Win program" like they falsely advertise you can, and on an on the list goes.

Where did you see this advertised? I have NEVER seen an Apple ad say you can use "just that one Win program".

Also in THIS thread you said your problems were fixed. Is something different now? Based on your post history on the board, which I went back and read through, all your problems were solved in that thread, other than the webcam. Now the webcam is only being limited because your husband broke his laptop and can't install software so you can't follow any suggestions people give you to help with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Yep, I regret it.

I can't really webcam with my husband in Iraq - which was the problem with our old comp. as well, and this switch has stuck us with Yahoo for our only choice and yahoo sucks.

My mini makes a cute little desktop paperweight.
But it's such a slow pos I don't know if I'm going to use it at all.

Not sure what position your husband is in or who he is working for however if he is not aware of it most of the services have video conferencing set up on official government sites such as for the Army the AKO (Army Knowledge Online) website. If he does not have a personal computer, that is the only way you can do it as he cannot load programs or use unauthorized programs on government computers.

I do not own a MAC Mini, nor have I ever purchased a "Cheap" computer such as what I assume the Dell your talking about is...in doing so your buying a bare bones little capabilities system and really cannot expect much more than a word processor and internet access machine. Newer applications take higher specs to run, yours may not be a windows vs mac issue but more a lack of technological understanding and power for what your trying to accomplish.

I appreciate your support of your husband and the sacrifices your family is going through. If you were to contact his home unit, they may have a tech support person that can walk you through getting set up for video conferencing with him using something like the Army's AKO system.

Reaction score
i dont miss anything about the PC at all really apart from the gaming aspect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't regret it at all, I only use the PC for games these days, and even that not very often. I just don't like Windows in comparison to OSX.

The only thing I miss is using Delphi, which is the best tool I know of for writing Windows apps. XCode is impenetrable in comparison; I'm using Eclipse and Java which is quite good, but a nice killer development app on the Mac would be great.

Reaction score
I don't miss anything at all. Music isn't a problem because I use iTunes. Adium works great for chat. I don't game at all. NeoOffice is more than sufficient for what I need. I don't have any problems using Hotmail with Safari. I don't know... I guess I've never run into anything that can't be overcome. In fact, I find myself liking the Mac apps better than the Windoze equivalents.

A little headache now and then is worth it IMO. I'll take OSX over Windows every time.

Reaction score
I'd better not regret it--I sold my Windows laptop (my only PC) earlier this week after owning my MBP for only 3 weeks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Yep I'm sorry I didn't do it years ago :lol:

Reaction score
I regret having ever heard of Macs. Came in this morning and suddenly all of my Mac users are having trouble connecting to the Mac server. Pc's connect ok. Mac's are connecting to the Windows servers ok. Mac to Mac doesn't work. Those horrible Windows 2003 servers are just chugging away, doing their jobs perfectly while the amazing Mac is giving me chest pains.

M

MacHeadCase

What I find scary in your case is that you say you're an IT guy.

I remember the thread in which you posted that you couldn't update the Macs in your workplace but that all the Windows boxes were easy to update. I bet you anything that the network isn't set up properly but, hey! as long as it works with the Windoze boxes, it's all good.

Maybe your boss is going to listen to you one day and ditch all those pesky toys called Macs...

Reaction score
Hopefully. Either that or I quit and go work somewhere without Macs. At 5% market share, they should be easy to avoid.

M

MacHeadCase

I think the Mac users in your workplace will be very relieved to hear you say this. And I'm relieved for them too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
One of the advantages of using a Mac is after awhile, you just don't care about Windows (except when you have to work with it for the job, which I have to but since I have Parallels for that it's just a little process in a sandbox) or Mac bashers anymore. You don't care that MS just released a fix for some '.ani vulnerability' that breaks some other application, that MS was recently sued for Vista marketing claiming low-end computers were 'Vista capable', or WGA and authenticating your Windows version.

Oh sure, I read about it on Slashdot but it's merely amusing. I am very happy that back in the beginning of this century Apple went with the NeXTStep base for OS X, because now I can enjoy this bliss. After playing with Vista, and struggling with Windows issues on the servers I manage (fortunately I also manage a number of UNIX/Linux servers as well) I know that had Apple not introduced OS X I'd still be using some form of Linux for my desktop or laptop. But I don't have to because I have this wonderful platform to work with.

I note with further amusement the strange issues people seem to have with Macs. Oddly enough I don't seem to suffer any of these problems.

Reaction score
I bet you anything that the network isn't set up properly

Hate to hijack this thread, but what on my network could be preventing the AFP from starting on the server? I connected all of my users using smb, and then disconnected the over 50 asleep connections in AFP. I stopped the AFP service, but now it won't start up again. There's nothing in the log, it just won't start. How should I be connecting my Macs? I need something that just works. I can't come in everyday wondering if the OSX Server is going to kick all of the Macs out.

M

MacHeadCase

I certainly won't pretend to be an IT but maybe you could ask Virginia Tech and their 1000+ Power Macs on a network. They obviously seem to know something about running a network with Macs on it.

[/Off Topic]

Reaction score
Here at the University I work at we have a lot of Macs on the network(3000 staff with a mix of PC's & Macs). Thankfully our IT guys know what they're doing.

Reaction score
I'm learning. Tonight I learned that an xserve hangs on reboot if it doesn't have a keyboard plugged in. Nothing like a late night trip to the office.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Those horrible Windows 2003 servers are just chugging away, doing their jobs perfectly

might have something to do with the sheer number of windows servers we have, or the hundreds of apps we have running on them, but i wouldn't say ours run perfectly. we also have lots of macs on our network, afaik they have no issues connecting to our network. though i'm just windows server support - not on the desktop team, so i've got little anecdotal knowledge.

btw, happy switcher here (though i'm writing this on my work machine which is a 14" HP notebook).

Reaction score
Pc to Mac server works, Mac to Pc servers works. The only issues come with Mac to Mac servers. I looked around and found a lot of AFP problems that were supposed to be fixed by an earler update, but now they say the 10.4.9 update will fix them. If that doesn't work, maybe I just start pushing to replace the Xserve with a Windows 2003 server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i pleased that i switched.

back in august 2005 - havnt looked back. although i run windows on my intel imac with bootcamp for games and some apps but apart from that just os x .

love it ! :D

M

MacHeadCase

I'm learning. Tonight I learned that an xserve hangs on reboot if it doesn't have a keyboard plugged in. Nothing like a late night trip to the office.

Pc to Mac server works, Mac to Pc servers works. The only issues come with Mac to Mac servers. I looked around and found a lot of AFP problems that were supposed to be fixed by an earler update, but now they say the 10.4.9 update will fix them. If that doesn't work, maybe I just start pushing to replace the Xserve with a Windows 2003 server.

Funny you would take some of your precious time, after being called in for a "late night trip to the office" just to post this.

Funny also that you don't acknowledge that some DO know how to run a network and you don't.

At first I wasn't too sure of your true intentions and the reason for your being here, now it's pretty obvious to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.