imac 24 , OSX!!! HELP HARD DISK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello to all. Few days ago 1 friend bring to me imac 24 with problem. The problem is that every time open the imac the screen swohs white screen only. I check the IMAC and find 2 problems
1) BAD HARD DISK
2) BAD DVD R
i put new hard disk and with external dvd im trying to make install operating system
Im windows user and its easy to find information and i dont have experience with configuration.
I dont know also what OS ha before the scratch.
I download 2 iso ( maverick , snow leopard ) but i cannot install.
I try with transmac from my laptop to burn usb drive and when i open the imac shows me 2
things (1) my flash drive ( osx install ) (2) hard drive. When i press usb flash after a while of rotate the small circle of loading nothing happens. Only white screen...
what is the problem and how to install from the scratch the OS.
PS. when i put hard disk with windows it opens windows 7 !!!
PLs help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) should work. But whatever you downloaded is not legal. Purchase a genuine Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi and thanks. They also give me retail dvd box mac os x snow leopard, but when i put on external dvd and try to install on new hard disk nothing happens!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi and thanks. They also give me retail dvd box mac os x snow leopard, but when i put on external dvd and try to install on new hard disk nothing happens!

It should work…assuming there's no problems with the computers logic board or ports.

When you boot the computer from the external drive with the Snow Leopard disk…hold down the "c" key on the keyboard.

- Nick

p.s. I also hope that this iMac has been correctly identified as a "24" iMac". If not (and it is something else)…then we need to know exactly what model iMac it is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should also ask. When booting from the Snow Leopard DVD. Are you actually getting to a desktop…and can't go further?…or you never get to the desktop?

If never to the desktop….then follow the hold the "c" key on booting suggestion.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi again and thanks...
when power on i press alt and shows me the dvd external. I press it and what with the apple logo and the small circle and waiting.....after 10 minutes is open on front off the big one led...as white...but on the monitor shows only (white/grey screen ) nothing else...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before we go any further…I think that we need to know exactly what model iMac this is.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok could you please tell me where to find exactly the model. The Imac is opening write now!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok could you please tell me where to find exactly the model. The Imac is opening write now!

I believe that there's a label on the bottom side of the iMac stand.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
W8701154VGN Serial number

IMAC 24 2.16/1GB/250GB/SD/BT/AR

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
W8701154VGN Serial number

IMAC 24 2.16/1GB/250GB/SD/BT/AR

Excellent…thanks!:)

Did you try what I mentioned in an earlier reply?…by pressing the "c" key when booting from the external optical drive.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes now i press it again and saw the logo and small circle to loading,.....the external dvd is power on and blinking and...after a while...change screen with white screen or grey i dont know! and nothings happen....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes now i press it again and saw the logo and small circle to loading,.....the external dvd is power on and blinking and...after a while...change screen with white screen or grey i dont know! and nothings happen....

Is this more progress than you saw earlier?

I'm not sure how long you let it do this. But give it some time. Booting from a DVD on an external drive can be slow.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello , after a long time all the night in the morning on my office see that imac is power off!!! when i open it without dvd a (folder missing ! ) is blinking!!!
and of coarse nothing is happen..!!!!!! im gonna crazy!!!!! what must to do to install mac os, i also change memory and the port of dvd external!!!...
or is there other solution to install windows or must take hard disk with windows and running
!!!
pls guys help!!!!!!!!

C

chas_m

Boot the Snow Leopard DVD from an EXTERNAL usb dvd unit, then install Snow Leopard onto the hard drive (if you can). If the hard drive is bad, replace it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi i try this 100 times i change hard disk of the mac with other one. Its the same hard disk its sata all. And every time try to boot from dvd it shows me the DVD MAC OS X INSTALL and when i press it nothing installed on the hard disk...its like dont sent data to the hard disk!! or maybe something wrong im doing...
But if i put hard disk with windows it loading.....

what is going on....!!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a close friend with that very same 24" 2.16Ghz C2d iMac. He refused to listen to me and had it with no surge protection and one BANG a bad surge. His would only light the screen white. The hard drive was dead so I installed a new 1TB Western Digital Black. Then booted with a Snow Leopard Retail DVD and the install screen showed in maybe 3 minutes or so.

Your issue could be something with your external DVD drive that the Mac does not like or it does not like the OSX DVD. Are you SURE that is a Full Retail DVD?

Like Nick said some USB drives will take a lot longer for the OSX installer screen to show up as USB 2.0 is really quite slow. I would think though 5 minutes or so should work. After the Screen with the Apple and spinning gear, what screen does it go to? Gray? If you let it sit at the Gray for a while is the DVD drive still accessing? If so wait a bit longer.

If you do get to the installer, you will need to click yes on the agreement then look up TOP for the Toolbar and click on Utilities then on Disk Utility and Partition the new drive. Click on where is says Current and select 1 partition and then click on Options and be sure it's set to GUID or it will not boot on a Mac. Also be sure format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

After it's done quit Disk Utility and it will take you back to the installer.

OP
A
Reaction score
First thank you to all.
Its very strange i know that...i change also the External dvd today...
For the DVD is genuine and i believe is working properly...i have not other mac to check...it...but if i put on my Laptop i read it ( HP windows ). And has drivers bootcamp and running on my laptop...
is there any possibility to be wrong!!!!
Now i take other 2.45 inch sata disk wait to finish formating to put again on IMAC and check...
im gonna crazy about it because i dont have experience about it...

after the apple logo and spinning then goes something like grey and the dvd is not working....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.