I'm having one heck of a time with junk mail

Reaction score
I've been following this thread hoping to find a solution to my junk mail problem. I tried all the same fixes as the OP to no avail. I tried SpamSieve and other spam blockers with no success. Today as I was sorting through the junk mail folder I left-clicked on the address and then right-clicked and noticed the option to block the sender! I also noticed that as I tried to block other emails many were all from the same sender!
I just did this now, so I can't tell you if it worked, but I suspect it will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I can't tell you if it worked, but I suspect it will.
For a while, maybe. They fake the sender address to hide where they are. And they shift that fake periodically, so rules like yours work for a while until they shift.

But good luck with it, at least you will have SOME relief!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I wondered what would happen if I clicked on those! This week I've also gotten text messages with the same message.

At least you have brought it to the attention of many people.

Reaction score
For a while, maybe. They fake the sender address to hide where they are. And they shift that fake periodically, so rules like yours work for a while until they shift.

But good luck with it, at least you will have SOME relief!
Unfortunately, you are correct even though they show as being blocked they come through!
I did find this advice on MacMost.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unfortunately, you are correct even though they show as being blocked they come through!
I did find this advice on MacMost.........

Does your ISP's webmail provide any sort of spam option you could set up and use or at least try for the offending emails. Sometimes their filtering works better than what one can do on one's own computer.

Just a thought for something else to try.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Pasquanel

OR; as suggested on the videos, just use your iCloud email??

As with everyone else, you are signed into iCloud. Possibly, like me, I prefer my btinternet email address, but I got the iCloud email when I first registered myself with iCloud and that email hardly ever gets spam.

I think everyone registered with Apple iCloud gets one, or indeed several emails linked to that. In fact, you can go into iCloud.com and within, create several emails as well as your standard iCloud email address.

These are just possibilities you might consider. :)

Ian

Reaction score
I've already started to change the email address on some accounts but it's a genuine pain I've used the Comcast email addy for many years now. I'll just change my accounts over time I'll get there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
@Pasquanel

I think everyone registered with Apple iCloud gets one, or indeed several emails linked to that. In fact, you can go into iCloud.com and within, create several emails as well as your standard iCloud email address.

:)

Ian
I do not think I have an iCloud email, when I first got my Apple account to register iTune on a Windows PC, I used my own email address, and don’t ever recall being assigned one by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not think I have an iCloud email,

Check this page out and check on your Apple status and accounts:

About your Apple ID email addresses

And easy enough to set one up if you don't already have one.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. It's inconvenient, but I'll live with it until another fix magically appears one day. I was hoping there was a way to mitigate it with tools that were already at my disposal.

I want to say that the magic cure you are looking for is SpamSieve. I often tell users that it is the best $30 that I have ever spent.

Currently I'm averaging 12 spam messages a day, and SpamSieve is currently 99.6% effective. (SpamSieve calculates these precise statistics.)

After a fun and easy training period of a couple of weeks, SpamSieve will quickly get up to well over 95% accuracy, and up to very close to 100% accuracy soon after that. It is a pleasure having all of my spam filtered into its own folder where I can delete it with prejudice each day.

Review:

The only anti-spam product that is more effective is a challenge-response setup. These can easily be 100% effective all of the time, but they are expensive, and they have some severe downsides which I won't get into here.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sometimes no action is the best action. It's certainly the easiest action, like everybody I get lots of spam email most of which are phishing attempts and simply ignoring them costs me no effort at all.

I don't open them, attempt to unsubscribe, or even mark them as spam because with my email application I know that tomorrow they will be "gone".

The Smart filter in Spark shows me my email in classified sections as People, Notifications, Newsletters, Pins and Seen. I deal with People first and Notifications second. Newsletters are of little concern and I address them when I have time. Pins are the things I want to action or not loose for later. In all cases I'm only shown the three most recent and as I read them they are moved to Seen and replaced with the next most recent.

Once you get used to this system it's easy to take care of recent priorities first and leave the rest for later and I can with a single click change to Classic view just to make sure I'm not missing something important. I can also expand any section to show all email under that classification.

The point is that the emails I suspect are spam I simply don't open and the next day they are effectively "gone" replaced with more recent emails.

Once a week I go though "all" in each section and trash the unread that I know are spam and any others I have read but do not need to keep. The rest I put into folders.

Any time I check Classic view I get an insight into what most people see when they launch their email client; a very long list of emails, usually displayed by date, personal emails mixed with spam, newsletters and notifications, some flagged, some read and some unread and I realise why I like this Smart filter so much.
Yes, it takes a little practice and double checking at first but I find it makes prioritising so much easier now and the view is so much less confronting than it used to be.

Of course you can still swap back and forward between Mail and Spark at any time but I seldom do.

I suppose I should add a disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Spark or it's developers, the above is just a personal opinion based on my own use of the product.

krs

Reaction score
Has anyone with a spam problem contacted their ISP to get them to address the issue?
My main email address is with a small, relatively local ISP (they serve only two towns with a combined population of 250,000 or so) and I hardly ever get spam.
From what I remember my ISP uses a spam filter called Barracuda which seems to filter incoming mail before it even hits my inbox.

Reaction score
Has anyone with a spam problem contacted their ISP to get them to address the issue?
My main email address is with a small, relatively local ISP (they serve only two towns with a combined population of 250,000 or so) and I hardly ever get spam.
From what I remember my ISP uses a spam filter called Barracuda which seems to filter incoming mail before it even hits my inbox.
Lots of ISP's offer server-based anti-spam products. The problem with most of these is that they filter things out and you simply never see what has been filtered. The thing is that none of these anti-spam products are perfect, so they may make a mistake and keep you from ever seeing an e-mail that is really important to you. I'd much rather use SpamSieve and be able to see what the program determines is spam before it is deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check this page out and check on your Apple status and accounts:

About your Apple ID email addresses

And easy enough to set one up if you don't already have one.

- Patrick
=======
Yea, checked it out, but I still don't have an Apple (specific) ID (i.e. one give to me by Apple), I log in to iCloud and all things Apple with my own email address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still don't have an Apple (specific) ID (i.e. one give to me by Apple), I log in to iCloud and all things Apple with my own email address.

I think you might be getting Apple ID and email addressi confused and you might want to re- read the Apple article as it specifically says how to add an Apple email address account which was a suggested solution to your spam problem.

If you do not have an Apple ID, you may be doing yourself a disfavour:

It’s possible to use a Mac or iOS device without an Apple ID but it would be a significantly diminished experience. For example, without an Apple ID you can’t log into the App Store, so won’t be able to download new apps on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

And maybe check out some of the hits here as well:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple email address account which was a suggested solution to your spam problem.

- Patrick
=======
It is not me that has a spam problem.

I think you might be getting Apple ID and email address confused

- Patrick
=======
No, my Apple login is MY email address, I have never had Apple assign me an ID or email.

If you do not have an Apple ID, you may be doing yourself a disfavour:

- Patrick
=======
Don't understand

Quoting the article it says:

"your Apple ID – usually your name followed by iCloud.com, me.com, or mac.com" never, ever, had one.
As I said when I registered with Apple for iTunes on my Win PC back in the 1990s I had to option to use my own email, or be assigned one with the above domains, I used my own and do not have one. This is my login screen XXs to hide the details.

1690996538533.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

krs

Reaction score
No, my Apple login is MY email address, I have never had Apple assign me an ID or email.
Not sure what started this part of this conversation, but my Apple login is also my personal email that I received from my very first ISP when I first got internet access - via dial-up at the time.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
A couple of quick points. Nothing (literally) does much to eliminate the spam email apparently including Spam Sieve, however the Apple Mail program does a pretty decent job of filtering them to my spam folder. In my case, the worst offender seems to be Gmail. My ProtonMail account has never gotten a spam email in 3 years. I HAVE used temporary email addresses I would set up if I'm going to purchase something on-line. That also had the added benefit of being able to figure out what retailers are selling (sharing?) my email address. The most recent offender is Wayfair, but Walmart was almost as bad. Within 2 days of using my temporary email address to Wayfair, I had 5 or 6 spam emails. I went on a few months ago to simply check after a couple of months of not using it, and there were hundreds and the ONLY thing I used that email for was a single purchase on Wayfair. I've since deleted that account. I even went on their web site to unsubscribe because even though I said I didn't want sale information, I would get several a day. That worked eventually, but took a few weeks. That didn't help with the rest of the spam though.

I wonder what can be done about that?

Now, part of my normal email ritual is opening mail, going to the spam folder, then highlighting and deleting them all at once. More of an annoyance than anything else I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.