Email App Discussion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Mail 13.0, with Catalina.

krs

Reaction score
They no longer are. IMAP is rapidly replacing POP. I would suggest you seriously consider moving your accounts over to IMAP, if the mail provider supports it. Sooner or later POP will be retired.

My Mail provider does support IMAC, but it says "up to 3600 messages" - that's a lot fewer than what I have in my inbox now.
It would mean more of my time to move messages to folders and/or clean up my inbox.

How would searching for a specific message work with some messages on the server and some on my Mac?
I have to investigate this a bit to see what the downsides are.

krs

Reaction score
If you have multiple Macs or iDevices, a PoP account can be a real pain since the mail you receive will be duplicated on all your devices. Reading it on one device (say your Mac) will still leave the mail unread on the other devices. Whereas with IMAP, if you read it on your Mac it will also show up as read on your iPhone, iPad, other Mac, etc.

Thanks, I understand that.
I don't typically use multiple devices for the same functions.
Cellphone is for emergencies and when I travel without the Mac - very few people have that number to call or text me.
iPad is sitting in the drawer gathering dust - never liked the small touch screen and the OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's not that hard to move messages to folders. You can even write a rule in Mail to do it in bunches. Something like "move all mail from before <date> to <folder>" in Mail terms. Run that, say, once a month, depending on how much mail you get, and you are done. I don't know how the rules work in that old Mail system, but in the current Mail you can set a rule that if the date received is "more than" X days old Move Message to <folder>. So basically set the X for days to what you might want that would keep you well under the 3600 and you should be good to go. One small issue with Rules is that I seem to have a problem where the rules don't automatically run. I have to invoke them manually. But they do work. I did spend some time (not much) trying to figure out why the rules didn't automatically run, gave up on it and just invoke them when I want to. You could set a "to do" reminder to prompt you to clean up once a week/month/quarter/year/decade, whatever suits.

If the rules don't work, or you don't want to bother, you can sort the mail by date received, click on one, then move to the end and shift-click to select all in between, then right-click and Move them to the folder manually. Not that hard to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks, I understand that.
I don't typically use multiple devices for the same functions.
Cellphone is for emergencies and when I travel without the Mac - very few people have that number to call or text me.
iPad is sitting in the drawer gathering dust - never liked the small touch screen and the OS

I'm basically in the same situation, but my iPad isn't quite into the desk drawer but is used mainly when forced to.
Two POP A and one IMAP Account but I hardly ever use.

BTW: My cell phone is an old Samsung flip-phone that's on the Canada Rogers network but the account is through 711 Speakout Prepaid yearly plan that costs me maybe $25-$50 per year depending on usage. Yes I'm a very low use cellphone user!!! :Smirk:

I just thought I should mention the Canadian 7-11 speakout Plans for any low use cell phone users. It doesn't get much cheaper!!!

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just thought I should mention the Canadian 7-11 speakout Plans for any low use cell phone users. It doesn't get much cheaper!!!

There are many discount plans here that offer unlimited texts, data, and calls. We use the T-Mobile senior plan which runs $60/month but there are others which cost even less.

But getting back to the email subject and mail drop.... There are other ways to send large files but it may mean using something like Dropbox (the pay version).

krs

Reaction score
There are other ways to send large files but it may mean using something like Dropbox (the pay version).

Yes...
I have Gmail account that I set up ages ago when one still needed to get an invitation to get GMail.
Turned out after all these years where I never used it, it was still active several months ago (and I'm sure it is still now), so I used it to send some large files (for free).

For 99% pf my needs, the 20MB limit with my current POP account is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are many discount plans here that offer unlimited texts, data, and calls. We use the T-Mobile senior plan which runs $60/month but there are others which cost even less.

Apologies for going off-topic, but in my books $60/month is a heck of a lot more than $25-$50/year, the average price I pay for my 711 SpeakOut low cellphone use plan.

Now back to regular programming and topic at hand... :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
hmmmmm Canadian 7-11 sepeakout plans for cell phone low use) very interesting. will check into..not so much for me but for friends.

Reaction score
...There are other ways to send large files but it may mean using something like Dropbox (the pay version).

There are lots of ways to send large files to folks, and to do so for free.

There is a program called OnionShare (free):
OnionShare
which will allow you to transfer files of ANY size, with complete security!
When you want to transfer a file to someone you run the program
and then just drag the file into the open box.
Then it will create a URL which is all that you send to the intended recipient via e-mail.

The recipient must be using the Tor Browser (free)
Tor Project | Anonymity Online
to receive the file.

Another good choice is the service SendTransfer (10GB limit):
SendTransfer | Send Large Files

If you have a recent version of the Mac OS, then using Apple Mail , in Mail Preferences --> Accounts, --> Advanced tab, check the “Send large attachments with Mail Drop” checkbox. (5GB limit.)
Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

How to Use Mail Drop to Send Large Files Over Email from Mac OS X

krs

Reaction score
There are lots of ways to send large files to folks, and to do so for free.

If you have a recent version of the Mac OS, then using Apple Mail , in Mail Preferences --> Accounts, --> Advanced tab, check the “Send large attachments with Mail Drop” checkbox. (5GB limit.)
Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

What this article fails to mention - and even Apple does not on their descriptions on Mail Drop - is that the email account has to be an IMAP account.

Mail Drop is not available if the email account is a POP account (which all of mine happened to be except a temporary one I had just set up to transfer email files from a server)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What this article fails to mention - and even Apple does not on their descriptions on Mail Drop - is that the email account has to be an IMAP account.

Mail Drop is not available if the email account is a POP account (which all of mine happened to be except a temporary one I had just set up to transfer email files from a server)

It would be really appreciated if all sites would provide Full Minimum System Requirements that even Apple fails at sometimes, and many sites barely even mention them these days, but in this case, at least you found there was a free workaround.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.