Email App Discussion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hmmm...??? Isn't that just one of the "features" of an IMAP email account is it not???

I believe that's a feature of iCloud in that once you sign out, your data or mail is no longer visible. It's an Apple security feature.

krs

Reaction score
I just received this "Black Friday" offer from mail.com when I logged in.

Sounds like a pretty good deal - I specifically like the 100 MB attachment offer.
I lately seem to have a lot of files that are over the 20MB my email provider offers (but way less than 100MB) - so to send those large files one has to jump through hoops

mail.com offer_800.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why would you need an extra app to send large files via Apple Mail? Ever hear of Mail Drop? It supports file sizes up to 5GB.

Read about the free Apple Mail Drop from the following Apple Support Article:

Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And sending a large file is still problematic if the recipient's mail provider has a smaller limit on attachments. I used to send files, now I send links to files in the cloud somewhere.

krs

Reaction score
Ever hear of Mail Drop?

Actually - No...

And when I read about it it says this:
Mail Drop lets you send large files like videos, presentations, and images through iCloud. If you shared links through Mail Drop that are no longer available, you might have exceeded one or more of the service limits.

With Mail Drop, you can send attachments up to 5 GB in size. You can send these attachments right from Mail on your Mac, the Mail app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and from iCloud.com on your Mac or PC. All files types are supported and attachments don’t count against your iCloud storage. If a message, including its attachments, is larger than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limit, Mail will ask you to send the attachments using Mail Drop.

Apple Mail has never asked me to send large attachments using Mail Drop.

All that happens - even with attachments about 15MB or so, is that after a while I get an error message that my attachment is too big.

krs

Reaction score
Well, I followed the instructions here:
How to turn on Yosemite's Mail Drop feature for non-iCloud email accounts | iMore

Mail Drop uses iCloud for storage — and as such is turned on by default for your iCloud email account — but you can use it for your non-iCloud accounts, too. In fact, you can use Mail Drop on any email account you have linked to the Mail app that supports the IMAP email protocol. All you have to do is activate the feature. Here's how:

To activate Mail Drop on non-Yosemite accounts
Double-click the Mail app.
Select the Mail menu.
Select Preferences...
Click on Accounts.
Highlight the email account you'd like to use with Mail Drop.
Click the Advanced tab.
Check "Send large attachments with Mail Drop."

There is no option for "Mail Drop" to check in the advanced tab on Apple Mail in ElCapitan

krs

Reaction score
Well, I followed the instructions here:Mail Drop uses iCloud for storage — and as such is turned on by default for your iCloud email account — but you can use it for your non-iCloud accounts, too. In fact, you can use Mail Drop on any email account you have linked to the Mail app that supports the IMAP email protocol. All you have to do is activate the feature. Here's how:

To activate Mail Drop on non-Yosemite accounts
Double-click the Mail app.
Select the Mail menu.
Select Preferences...
Click on Accounts.
Highlight the email account you'd like to use with Mail Drop.
Click the Advanced tab.
Check "Send large attachments with Mail Drop."

When I try to add a screen shot of the advanced tab window in mail, I get blocked by something called "Sucuri" with a message: SQL injection was detected and blocked.

The detection is obviously wrong - all I'm trying to do is upload a jpg which I have done dozens of times for this site.
Tried this twice, so it's not just a fluke

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now my post also showed up twice with the added comment in the second one even though I used the edit function - which I have also used multiple times before with no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

And my last comment should have been a separate post because for that one I did NOT use the edit option.
Same as this post should be a separate one - I guess we'll see when I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
krs, the site recently has been combining posts if you post and then you are the next poster as well. Don't know if there is a time limit, but if you do two posts in the same forum back to back, what you see in your post(s) is what happens. Been that way for about a month or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a quick demo. This should be appended to the previous post I made.

krs

Reaction score
Thanks Jake,

Another "improvement" that somebody thought up that makes no sense.

If I wanted to add something to my post I would use the "Edit" function - that is what that is for.
If I create a new post rather than use the edit function, there is a good reason for that - usually information I don't want to get lost because it's only an added lime or two in my first post that can easily get overlooked if one has already read it.

But that is just another annoyance with this forum software.
What is much more of an issue is that I keep getting blocked from adding a ordinary jpeg image.
I would really like to be able to use Mail Drop but for some reason have no access to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice rant!

The difference between what happens with a second post and edit is that edit doesn't have the divider where the merged posts do. It's pretty apparent it is a later post merged.

What is blocking adding a jpeg? It works just fine if you stick to the limit of 500x500 pixels. So what is happening when you try?

Mail drop has nothing to do with this site. That's a Mail function. Open Mail, Preferences, select the account in the Accounts tab, then under Account Information make sure "Send large attachments with Mail Drop" is checked. From there it should work for you.

One thing I noticed was the option initially wasn't there under iCloud, but it appeared after I chose another account and then returned to the iCloud account. Don't know if it was a glitch or a true bug, but when it appeared it could be checked and seemed to work.

krs

Reaction score
Now I can't post at all:

Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall
If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

Block details:
Your IP: 64.228.128.122
URL: www.mac-forums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=353814
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.108 Safari/537.36
Block ID: SQLi17
Block reason: SQL injection was detected and blocked.
Time: 2019-11-27 14:16:29
Server ID: 20005

-----------------------

Well, copying the error message in text actually allowed the post to go through

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now I can't post at all:

Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

I still keep getting these type of notices randomly and for no rhyme or reason that I can think off, and only from this forum site.

Most annoying.

Other times, a reply just won't post. The reply Text window disappears but it never actually gets posted to the thread or anywhere that I have been able to see.

Also most annoying. And both problems only happens at this mac-forum site.

Sometimes, retrying a fair bit later sometimes works. And often, not even using the auto-saved text will work when posted.

I don't know what version of vBulletin the site is using, but I think it has some trouble or some incorrect settings.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duplicate post - please just ignore.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is actually a post from krs that I have been asked to post for him:

Post now deleted!!!

Gheese, this is getting crazy, I can't even post the text krs e-mailed me to post for him when I paste it into this post and attempt to send.

When doing so, all I get is the stupid access denigned page below:

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 1.20.16 PM.png

Let's see if this works!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me try again pasting in what krs asked me to post for him:

Sorry, Nope, won't work. All I get now is this message
View attachment 30724

and if I coose to Leave Page I end up at the access denied page as posted above.

Sorry krs.

- Patrick
======

PS: this finally posted after I waited about half an hour and used the autosave.

I'll try Posting the text krs E-mailed me to post with another attempt in a few minutes.

EDIT: Still won't post. Just get the "Leave page" message when attempting to do so.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
I still keep getting these type of notices randomly and for no rhyme or reason that I can think off, and only from this forum site.

Most annoying.

Other times, a reply just won't post. The reply Text window disappears but it never actually gets posted to the thread or anywhere that I have been able to see.

Also most annoying. And both problems only happens at this mac-forum site.

Sometimes, retrying a fair bit later sometimes works. And often, not even using the auto-saved text will work when posted.

I don't know what version of vBulletin the site is using, but I think it has some trouble or some incorrect settings.

- Patrick
======

I'm getting exactly the same issues as Patrick
Indicated that by marking his comments in italics.

And I just got off the phone with my ISP 2nd level tech support giving them heck about their firewall.
But now, with Patrick having identical problems, I find out it's not my ISP at all but rather some firewall this forum seems to subscribe to - or maybe the host.

krs

Reaction score
I just tried posting my reply to Jake's comments in post #30, but no luck.
Might as well quit until this issue gets resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But that post worked, krs.

krs

Reaction score
Yes....it almost seems as if that firewall somehow "thinks" there is an embedded SQL database if the post is more than just a couple of lines.
But it's definitely a new issue - I have posted more than just two or three lines before and some members have posted much more

I'll try to post my reply to your comments, Jake, in little chucnk - let's see if that works.

- - - Updated - - -

Part 1:
All right - let me take one thing at a time

Nice rant!

The difference between what happens with a second post and edit is that edit doesn't have the divider where the merged posts do. It's pretty apparent it is a later post merged.

Well, on my monitor, where I just calibrated the colours, that divider is so faint that it is barely visible.
I actually missed it and only see it now that you mention it.
It also says --- Updated ---, which isn't true at all, I intended the post to be a new post

- - - Updated - - -

Part 2:
What is blocking adding a jpeg? It works just fine if you stick to the limit of 500x500 pixels. So what is happening when you try?

Well, first of all, the limit has been increased from 500x500 to 800x800 pixels, I guess you missed that.
I have reduced previous images to 800x800 pixels and added them to my post with no problem.
This image where I have the ongoing problem is natively 401x569 pixels, so there should be no problem size wise.
I also posted the important text of the error message which mentions "SQL injection" - SQL is a database - what does that have to do with image size?
I'll try to add the screen shot of the error message to this post

krs

Reaction score
Part 3:

Won't post, gives me the blocked message

PS: That should have posted as --- Updated --- but it posted as a new post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.