Email App Discussion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Relayed text reply attempt from krs follows:

All right - let me take one thing at a time

Nope, failed to post in its entirety again.

I see krs was finally able to post at least part of his message I was attempting to relay.
Maybe there are some Taboo characters or words that prevents some of it from being posted.
If so why can't the stupid Pop-Up message just say-so, but I sure can't see anything that's offensive anywhere!!!

Just another occasional Mac-forums vBulletin screw up I guess.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How are you doing screen shots? What format are they in? I'm wondering if the firewall is seeing something in the image data that it thinks is malware (SQL Injection, whatever that means). Can you try a different format for that same image?

krs

Reaction score
My screen shots for this forum are always jpg, 800 pixels or smaller.

Part 3, which was blocked, was just text - I'll try one line at a time - if it works it will end up in one post anyway

krs

Reaction score
Did not work
-----------

I'm trying to quote part of Jake's post but that is when I get blocked

Mail drop has nothing to do with this site....That's a Mail function. Open Mail, Preferences, select the account in the Accounts tab, then under Account Information make sure "Send large attachments with Mail Drop" is checked. From there it should work for you.

What makes you think that I think MailDrop has something to do with this site? I explained in post #26 the steps I was following to activate Mail Drop - these are the same steps you posted again, but there is no "Send large attachments...." option to select

PS: Well after using Edit several times I managed to cobble together the third part - it seems the quote tag in the third post may be part of the problem - that is the only thing missing - moving on the part 4

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Part 4:

One thing I noticed was the option initially wasn't there under iCloud, but it appeared after I chose another account and then returned to the iCloud account. Don't know if it was a glitch or a true bug, but when it appeared it could be checked and seemed to work.

I don't understand....
The article I linked to specifically said that the Mail Drop feature is available for any mail account from any provider, and while it uses iCloud for uploading and downloading the attachment, iCloud itself does not have to be separately activated. This sounds like you activated something in iCloud itself.

krs

Reaction score
I had 4 quotes in my original reply, maybe that is what triggered the block.
Can't think of anything else right now.

krs

Reaction score
Let me try the initial screen shot again of my Apple Mail Advanced window where I'm supposed to be able to check send large attachments

View attachment 30728

Great - that worked, but where is the option I'm supposed to select?

PS: I logged into iCloud just in case that was actually required, but that made no difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Attachment 30728

Was there something that was supposed to be included in the attachment???

I get nothing except a message:
vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CLIP...
What makes you think that I think MailDrop has something to do with this site? I explained in post #26 the steps I was following to activate Mail Drop - these are the same steps you posted again, but there is no "Send large attachments...." option to select
...CLIP
You said earlier:
But that is just another annoyance with this forum software.
What is much more of an issue is that I keep getting blocked from adding a ordinary jpeg image.
I would really like to be able to use Mail Drop but for some reason have no access to it.
I put together those three sentences in a paragraph as you had written them as such. So the subject of the paragraph is "annoyance with this forum software." If there had been a blank line between the first two lines and that third line I would not have associated them that way. That's how I got to the point of remarking that the Mail issue was not associated with the forum software.

Anyway, I am logged into iCloud, so I can use the iCloud as a location for Mail attachments. I don't know if that is a requirement, as I use iCloud a lot anyway and so am logged in all the time. What I did note, and commented on, was that in Mail when I first went to the iCloud account the option was NOT visible, as you have said, but when I selected a different mail account, it appeared. Then when I returned to the iCloud account it was still visible. As I said, I don't know if it was just a glitch on my system or a true Mail bug, but it was what I saw happen.

Hope that helps clear the air a bit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a test, I quit Mail and restarted it three times. Each time in Mail/Preferences/Accounts the option to use Mail Drop was there for all five accounts I have configured. As I said, I am logged into iCloud, which I think is a requirement, but I'm not certain of that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only account which I can not use Mail Drop is my GMAIL pop account. (Pop accounts do not support Mail Drop.)

However, my other three accounts, all of which are IMAP have the Mail Drop option annotated.

krs

Reaction score
Was there something that was supposed to be included in the attachment???

I get nothing except a message:

- Patrick
======

That was the screen shot of my Apple Mail Advanced window that is supposed to have the large attachment option on it.

It is a jpg file 401 x 569 pixels in size.

That image actually showed fine for me after I inserted it - that's why I added "Great - that worked...."

AppleMailAdvanced.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I just uploaded that same image again - I see it, but I'm afraid to edit that post in case it makes the image vanish again,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That image is the wrong tab for the option. Click on "Account Information" and the option should be the last item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, that tab "Account Information" was what I pointed to in post #30. Your set of directions was incorrect.

krs

Reaction score
The only account which I can not use Mail Drop is my GMAIL pop account. (Pop accounts do not support Mail Drop.)

However, my other three accounts, all of which are IMAP have the Mail Drop option annotated.

Ahh........that explains it!

The Apple article you linked to in post #23 which I read several times (the article not your post), makes no mention that the mail account has to be an IMAP account to be able to use Mail Drop.
It says:
With Mail Drop, you can send attachments up to 5 GB in size. You can send these attachments right from Mail on your Mac, the Mail app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and from iCloud.com on your Mac or PC. All files types are supported and attachments don’t count against your iCloud storage. If a message, including its attachments, is larger than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limit, Mail will ask you to send the attachments using Mail Drop.

All my Apple mail accounts are POP accounts except a temporary one I set up about a month ago just to be able to download the messages from a different mail account I was closing.

I still have that account set up in Apple Mail, and sure enough - when I select that account the option for Mail Drop is there.

I always thought POP accounts were the more common mail accounts.

In any case, when I first got my email account in the 80's, POP was the only viable option - i only had dial up internet at the time, I reember a 56K modem was a big new development at the time, and my ISP offered very limited storage for my email account. Never had a need to change.
Today, on the odd occasion where I want to look at my inbox from another device, I can do that by logging into the ISP's mail server - I just don't see the emails I have sent.

I'm glad this is all sorted out, so Mail Drop is not really an option for me - not a big deal since I can use other means to send large files - it's just not that convenient.

The pressing issue here now is to "fix"that 'Sucuri Firewall Issue' so we can use the forum to communicate without jumping through hoops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always thought POP accounts were the more common mail accounts.
They no longer are. IMAP is rapidly replacing POP. I would suggest you seriously consider moving your accounts over to IMAP, if the mail provider supports it. Sooner or later POP will be retired.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have multiple Macs or iDevices, a PoP account can be a real pain since the mail you receive will be duplicated on all your devices. Reading it on one device (say your Mac) will still leave the mail unread on the other devices. Whereas with IMAP, if you read it on your Mac it will also show up as read on your iPhone, iPad, other Mac, etc.

krs

Reaction score
BTW, that tab "Account Information" was what I pointed to in post #30. Your set of directions was incorrect.

Sorry Jake, but that is wrong.

When I go to "Account Information" there is no option to check for "Large Attachments"
The last item there is "Outgoing Mail Server"

Before that is
Email Address
Full Name
Incoming Mail Server
User Name
Password

The option "Send large attachments with Mail Drop" does show under the "Advanced" tab, fifth item down but only if the account selected is an IMAP account

So the instructions that I posted, which I just copied from an internet article, are correct.
They just don't mention that the account has to be an IMAC account.

To be fair, the author mentioned that in the preamble but it's buried in the text that I just glanced over.

I always hate that if people write technical articles or instructions which are mostly 'fluff' and little 'meat'

PS: I'm on Mail 9.3 on ElCapitan.
Did Apple perhaps change the location of the "Send large Files" option???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.41.36 PM.png

What can I say? Here is a screenshot of Mail, Preferences, Account Information. Note the final item on the list.

krs

Reaction score
Seems my "PS" at the end of my post was appropriate.

I see you don't even have an advanced tab - what Apple Mail version do you use?
With an IMAP account, I see this window:
IMAP.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.