Backing up up using carbon copy

krs

Reaction score
I also was surprised to hear SD didn't build the Recovery Volume. But I would disagree that Apple expects everyone to create USB installers. Apple expects users to use Recovery to reinstall, including the option for Internet Recovery.....
Is Internet Recovery now even available for HS and Mojave?
The installers seem to have disappeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, all the above can be run from the command line by booting to verbose mode, but do you really want to use that method? I don't.
Come on, Charlie. Where's your sense of computing adventure? :)

I'm sure with Charlie on that one!!!

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am too. My aversion to all thinks CLI is both well-documented and perhaps legendary on these forums.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Same here, but I still have a USB Installer just in case. Also if you do a CCC backup before running the macOS Installer you get a copy of the installer on the CCC clone. Very handy if you want to create a USB Installer at a later date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The installers have not disappeared. I downloaded the HS installer yesterday. I am running Catalina, so I ended up getting it through System Preferences, but I started with the links in this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#otherways

It says, in part,
Other ways to install macOS
The links take you to the various installers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, Internet Recovery is still available for all OS versions, although only Macs that came with 10.7 or higher are allowed to download/install them.

When I was at Apple (2015) their network had all OS installers available for testing with Macs brought in for service.

Reaction score
Unless it's changed recently, SD! does not clone your Recovery Partition whereas CCC does. If that really matters, there is a simple way of re-establishing the Recovery Partition.

SuperDuper! DOES back up your recovery partition.
SuperDuper will back up the Recovery partition whether the source drive is HFS+ or APFS,
and whether the backup drive is HFS+ or APFS.
It says so right on their Web site:

and goes into detail on their blog:

For those of you who have older backups that don't have a recovery partition, you can create one with this free third party tool:

Recovery Partition Creator (free)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for the update. SD! didn't used to BU Recovery Partition as others have remembered, so if they do it now, that's good news. Thank you so much for clarifying the matter.

Ian

krs

Reaction score
The installers have not disappeared. I downloaded the HS installer yesterday. I am running Catalina, so I ended up getting it through System Preferences, but I started with the links in this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#otherways

It says, in part, The links take you to the various installers.

Have you actually tried downloading an installer that way?

I just tried to download Mojave and got this message:

Mojave Download.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I actually downloaded the HS installer day before yesterday, as I said. And I am right now downloading Mojave. It's saying about 40 minutes to finish, but it's downloading. I'll report back when it is done.

krs

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on what is going on with Apple here?

In this recent thread, neither Hoody nor Randy could download HS or Mojave from Apple,
I could not just now - received the message I posted that it's currently not available and yet Jake has no problem downloading HS and Mojave using exactly the same links.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
To add to your consternation, I can download macOS Mojave from the site Jake mentioned, despite living in the UK. I cancelled out after confirming.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reporting back, all finished with the download. Here is a shot of Finder showing the date added and size of the downloads:

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.12.49 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr, 15", mid-2015, Catalina 10.15.7, not sure what APFS has to do with it, but yes, the internal SSD drive is formatted APFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr, 15", mid-2015, Catalina 10.15.7, not sure what APFS has to do with it, but yes, the internal SSD drive is formatted APFS.
I thought you may have been downloading them from an older OS version, on a non APFS formatted drive?

I tried to "Get" High Sierra through the macOS App Store, and got the same "This copy of the "Install macOS" application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS."

I just deleted the Install macOS High Sierra I had in my Applications from 2018 and now it's downloading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it pops that message, but that has happened with every installation file from Apple. If you try to launch it on a machine that has a more modern version of the OS, it won't open. To go backwards, you have to create a bootable installer and boot from that. But the issue that folks are having is not that it won't open, but that they cannot even download it to make that bootable installer.

EDIT: My point was that I could download it on my Mac, I could create a bootable USB drive (I did that) and I could go backwards if I wanted to (I don't). The challenge being raised by @krs is that he can't get it to download and that somehow Apple has taken it offline. It's not offline, I downloaded it. Don't know why @krs cannot get it to download.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I could not just now - received the message I posted that it's currently not available and yet Jake has no problem downloading HS and Mojave using exactly the same links.

The downloads are likewise available for me.

Are you connecting to the US store or the Canadian store? Might make a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, if they are already in your Applications folder they will not download. So, right now High Sierra is downloading, then I'll get Mojave and Catalina.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As soon as it is downloaded, it tries to launch, and that is when the "too old" message pops up. Just cancel it running and the installer stays on the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.