Backing up up using carbon copy

krs

Reaction score
I tried a few more things.
First trying to download Mojave (with Jake's links)
Same message as before; "Not currently available in the US store"-implying there is a temporary issue and to try later.
Well, I have seen that same message a week ago.
Then I tried to download High Sierra - that downloaded, no problem
Next I tried to download ElCapitan - no problem either
™Jake - Did you change the names of the downloads?
Mine were:
InstallOS.dmg for High Sierra at 5.01GB
InstallMacOSX.dmg for ElCapitan at 6.2 GB

Strange that the file size of HS is different.

So at that point I figured that maybe I could not download Mojave since I'm actually on Mojave.
So I booted into my old macOS, ElCapitan
This time I couldn't even access the App Store - got this message even though I was running ElCapitan - Apple seems to think I'm pre 10.6.6

App Store.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nope, neither one was a .dmg. In fact, Apple didn't release it as a dmg, AFAIK. It's always been an app and it's always auto-started after download. I don't know where you went to get a dmg, but what is at Apple is .app, an app.

krs

Reaction score
Are you connecting to the US store or the Canadian store? Might make a difference.
I just click on the links that Jake posted.
The message telling me that the download is currently not available says it's the US store.

But I can download HS and ElCamino that same way, so I don't think that is my issue.

krs

Reaction score
Also, if they are already in your Applications folder they will not download.
I have a file in my Application folder called "Install macOS Mojave (10.14)" at 6.03GB
A file I obviously renamed so I wouldn't think Apple would recognize this as the Mojave application.
But just to be sure I moved that file to the trash folder.
Tried to download Mojave again using the links that were posted.
Received the same message as before (post #29)

krs

Reaction score
Nope, neither one was a .dmg. In fact, Apple didn't release it as a dmg, AFAIK. It's always been an app and it's always auto-started after download. I don't know where you went to get a dmg, but what is at Apple is .app, an app.
This is getting stranger by the minute.
I followed the link in your post #25 and ended up with this:
(_ and name of macOS I added so I knew which was which - but these two files were automatically downloaded as disk images.)

macOS dmg.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I just liked the interface of SD better ans I found out recently that SD also backs up anything in the trash whereas CCC does not.
Not that this is really a big deal, although I do recover items from the trash the odd time.
I'm not so sure about that, I just booted my MBP with CCC and the Trash contained the same files that were there in the SSD HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, As I said, I don't know where you ended up to download a dmg, but the names you see in my screenshot are what Apple named the installers. Including the spaces between words, spelling out High Sierra, no underbars for spaces and not being a dmg. That makes me suspect you aren't getting to Apple at all, but ending up somewhere else. A dmg should mount as a drive if you double click on it. If you feel that you trust that download, go ahead and double click to mount the dmg as a drive, then look at what's in the dmg. I can't say that would be 100% safe, so make a good backup before you try that, if you do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just click on the links that Jake posted.
The message telling me that the download is currently not available says it's the US store.

But the US store detects that you are in Canada. I suspect that's why the store says it's not available. If Jake and I can access the downloads successfully and both of us are posting from the US and you are not, that may be the reason.

krs

Reaction score
@krs, As I said, I don't know where you ended up to download a dmg, but the names you see in my screenshot are what Apple named the installers. Including the spaces between words, spelling out High Sierra, no underbars for spaces and not being a dmg. That makes me suspect you aren't getting to Apple at all, but ending up somewhere else. A dmg should mount as a drive if you double click on it. If you feel that you trust that download, go ahead and double click to mount the dmg as a drive, then look at what's in the dmg. I can't say that would be 100% safe, so make a good backup before you try that, if you do.
I definitely get these downloads from Apple.
I start with this link that you posted:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#otherways

Then get this, scroll to the bottom

Screenshot_2020-10-02 How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery_ann.png

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Next I select High Sierra and get this (and when I download, also towards the bottom, I end up with the disk image)

Screenshot_2020-10-02 How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra_ann.png

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
But the US store detects that you are in Canada. I suspect that's why the store says it's not available. If Jake and I can access the downloads successfully and both of us are posting from the US and you are not, that may be the reason.

I don't think so,Charlie.

The US store can certainly detect that I'm in Canada,but if it was a country location issue I wouldn't have been able to download High Sierra or ElCapitan.
Or maybe that explains why I end up with a disk image???
I suppose I can always fire up my VPN and pretend I'm in the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, I don't know how to explain the differences. You are doing exactly what I did, but you are getting different results. Have you tried mounting the dmg images and looking at what's in them? Charlie may be onto something with the Canada/US difference, and maybe using a vpn would make a difference, but it is just strange that I follow those same screens and get one thing and you get another. One thing to consider; when I click on the link you provided (and which is in the documents I linked), it briefly flashes that it is connecting to the Mac App Store and then the download page shows where I clicked on "Get" and the installer downloaded. I didn't think that was critical as it all happened automatically, but are you seeing that "connecting" page and get to the Mac App Store for the download, or is it downloading directly? I'm wondering if the Mac App Store is doing something in the background?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are the two final screens I mentioned:

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.42.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.41.56 PM.png

krs

Reaction score
@krs, .... and then the download page shows where I clicked on "Get" and the installer downloaded.
I think I know what you mean - that "Get" was towards the top of the page on the left.
I used to see that when I downloaded these macOSs before a few months ago but not this time.
As soon as I click on the link I circled in the last screen shot, the download starts.
Except for Mojave - there I just keep getting the message that it's currently not available.

PS: I just tried VPN, but it seems I have to reinstall it because I upgradedmy macOS - I will try VPN tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

krs

Reaction score
Here are the two final screens I mentioned:

View attachment 32554

View attachment 32556

That is a different "Get" screen than I was thinking of - but no, I don't get any of that when I'm on Mojave.

When I booted up in ElCamino, I did get the very top part of what you posted (ie the first screen) but nothing more.
Maybe I should have waited longer.
I assume the second screen "macOS High Sierra" shows up automatically

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Couldn't wait to check this out.

Cleaned out my VPN application and reinstalled it on Mojave per the suggestion from the VPN support group.
Works fine with Chicago shown as my current location, IP 89.187.183.163

Moved Mojave installer back to trash.

Unfortunately none of that made any difference when trying to download Mojave,still get the message:"Currently not available"

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
But the US store detects that you are in Canada. I suspect that's why the store says it's not available.

Just to remind folks, that in post #32, I stated that I got macOS Mojave to download without difficulty and I'm in the UK.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

krs

Reaction score
After I moved High Sierra and Mojave to the Trash, I was able to download those macOS installers. I also had previously downloaded the dmg files for Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra.
Which macOS are you running?
I suspect I can't download Mojave because I'm on Mojave.
I was able to download High Sierra and ElCapitan, but I ended up with disk imaages of each one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.