Applecare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Applecare is essentially an extension to your standard Apple warranty.

Many consider it unnecessary for a desktop Mac because if nothing serious has gone wrong within the first couple of months, chances are you have a solid machine for years to come.

However, it can be quite useful for a portable Mac as there is a higher chance of something going wrong. The simple fact is that the packed components are more likely to fail from heat or blunt trauma, both of which can happen at anytime, which is why an extended warranty is a good idea.

The good news is that if you're a student, you can get a significant discount on Applecare :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Applecare is awesome!

Its an extended warranty option, comes available on all Apple products. I have one for my iPod and when it died a few weeks ago I brought it to the Apple store and they said "It'll be about two weeks until we can get a new one".

They had a new one for me NEXT DAY!

I'm ordering my Macbook in less than two weeks (and the wait is killing me lol) and I'm definatly spending the extra $183 bucks on Applecare because hey, you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
The good news is that if you're a student, you can get a significant discount on Applecare :black:

How so buddy? I know of the education discount, is that what you mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Another thing about Applecare is if you decide to upgrade to another mac and want to sell your old one the Applecare follows the old one. Which can make it more attractive to a potential buyer.
Maybe not your situation at the moment but something worth thinking about

Reaction score
What I've been wondering about Apple Care - aside from are they kidding with that £200 price tag? - is if you, like me, just bought a MacBook a few weeks ago, why shell out for Apple Care now when you've got a year's warranty? Surely the time to consider paying for Apple Care is when your warranty is about to run out? Or is there more to it than that?

Anyway the gigantic cost, and the evangelistic zeal with which every Apple employee you talk to tries to sell you Apple Care, is one of the more off-putting and, dare I say it, Microsoft-esque aspects of Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's absolutely no need for you to purchase Apple Care along with your computer. Like you said, you have a one year warranty with 90 days of phone support. As was stated earlier, you can get Apple Care up till the last day of your standard one year warranty.

I guess Apple does this to ensure you don't forget about and regret not getting it when the time ran out. So it's not like they're strong arming you, just making sure you have the insurance that will give you a peace of mind. Plus, it's not like you gain or lose anything from getting the warranty early or late. It's just easier to get a customer to buy the warranty up front than months down the road.

As for the cost. Practically every computer retailer prices their warranties like Apple does. It just seems to be an industry standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
WOW!

I thought you had to buy it right away, I am so psyched! I definatly want the Applecare, thats for sure. But right now I am a student, and although I could afford the Applecare, I'd be a little strapped for cash right now.

Knowing that I can wait a little bit until I get it, gives me a chance to put some more money together, because dropping nearly $1700 on a computer is a little rough.

I <3 Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
WOW!

I thought you had to buy it right away, I am so psyched! I definatly want the Applecare, thats for sure. But right now I am a student, and although I could afford the Applecare, I'd be a little strapped for cash right now.

Knowing that I can wait a little bit until I get it, gives me a chance to put some more money together, because dropping nearly $1700 on a computer is a little rough.

I <3 Apple.

just make sure you buy the applecare within the first year that you have it and you should be set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
sorry to piggyback on your thread- but I had a similar question- does applecare cover dropped damage? my powerbook got dropped, after the warranty expired and the repairs were 1300$!! (hence my new MBB) if I had applecare would that have been taken care of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
sorry to piggyback on your thread- but I had a similar question- does applecare cover dropped damage? my powerbook got dropped, after the warranty expired and the repairs were 1300$!! (hence my new MBB) if I had applecare would that have been taken care of?

it does not coer user damage or dropped damage.. sorry.

OP
D
Reaction score
applecare-new macbook?

lets say i have applecare and 2 years down the road i start having problems over and over with my macbook....ive lets say sent it in 5 times for the same problem. What does apple do from their?

do they just keep trying to fix and unfixable problem?

do they give me a new macbook?

i ask because my dad is hesitant to buy me macbook....he wants to get it from bestbuy because here in FL we have the lemon law (if the same problem persists 4 times they will junk out your laptop and give you a new one, which happened to me with my hp so i now have $1000 to spend)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think its 3 times of the same problem and they will replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
There's no hard and fast rule within Apple as to when a machine will be replaced. If there's a serious problem that gets escalated to the right level the computer will be replaced. I speak from first-hand experience.

Regarding the lemon-law: isn't that a statewide law? If it is, that means that Apple would be bound by it as well.

Reaction score
Ditto the 1st hand experience.

The first thing Apple do after opening up a Case for you is to request all the job reports from your local Apple Store or whomever has repaired your mac in the past (needs to be fully authorised by Apple to effect repairs).

Then they assess the situation and if so, authorise a replacement for you.

I had 4 problems in 4mths, so my iMac G5 was replaced. Lucky for me the current model was a core2duo so it was a big win for me.

OP
D
Reaction score
allrite cool. Yea i just wanted to make sure because my dad keeps worrying about making the switch to mac and then having all these problems and not being taken care of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I think its 3 times of the same problem and they will replace it.

yup, that is the rule i have seen used.

another point that most people forget is this.

the applecare is great on a laptop. it is something you are carrying with you places and such. the portability of it means that the chances of there being hardware problems are higher than a 'box' that just sits. the extra warranty is an amazing thing and i would not have ANY laptop without some sort of extended warranty if possible. but then again, i also wouldnt have any other laptop than a mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.