Which do you prefer Windows or Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Some do, I do not. There are 55k+ people in the company I work for, 1200 in my office alone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Some do, I do not. There are 55k+ people in the company I work for, 1200 in my office alone.

****. So what is your job? And what does the company sell? Does everyone use Windows there? By the way, I would also choose a laptop. I mean you can get laptops that are easily better than a desktop for same price if not less.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ohh that's nice! One question though. Why doesn't your work use desktops?

Almost every company now uses laptops instead of desktops since most people like the luxury of working from home through a VPN if they have to.

I haven't had a desktop computer at work since the mid 90's when I started working, all of my companys have handed out laptops. Now, I use my laptop as a desktop since I never move it or anything and have 2 external screens to do my work..can't live with just one 15" screen..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Almost every company now uses laptops instead of desktops since most people like the luxury of working from home through a VPN if they have to.

I haven't had a desktop computer at work since the mid 90's when I started working, all of my companys have handed out laptops. Now, I use my laptop as a desktop since I never move it or anything and have 2 external screens to do my work..can't live with just one 15" screen..

Wow. See that's what I want to do! And also finally people are realizing they don't need desktops!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Very true. My friend works IT for a company who does work for many government corporations and they all use Notebooks for their systems. Mostly High End Dells.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA 2011, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB
I spent 6 years using Ubuntu before switching to Mac. I still have a Dell 1525 (home office) and a ThinkPad x100e (travel) running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry, I still prefer a good Desktop for Home use. A Desktop with RAM and a drive you can upgrade, and a video card that can be changed! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spent 6 years using Ubuntu before switching to Mac. I still have a Dell 1525 (home office) and a ThinkPad x100e (travel) running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Yeah I have a macbook pro and later I may get a Lenovo Thinkpad dual booting ubuntu and Windows 7. No desktop :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I still prefer a good Desktop for Home use. A Desktop with RAM and a drive you can upgrade, and a video card that can be changed! :D

How is your iMac and Macbook working for you dtravis7?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Very true. My friend works IT for a company who does work for many government corporations and they all use Notebooks for their systems. Mostly High End Dells.
Dennis,

Yeah I have a Dell Precision M4400 maxed out for my work. The Mecahnical Engineers get an even more beefier machine to run Solidworks..:)

I'm with you there..since mobility is of zero interest to me with my personal machine, I have the iMac and love it..not so much for the need to upgrade the components (apart from the needed RAM), but for the fact that I get the screen size I want and can work in my nice home office..don't feel like slouching around with a laptop in a chair..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA 2011, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB
It may sound funny, but one of the reasons I didn't get an iMac is that it won't fit in my rolltop desk. The lid on the Dell 1525 just barely clears the top.

By the way (to stay at least somewhat on topic), when I got the 11" MBA for my wife, the first thing she asked is if I could move the dock over to the left side like the Unity Launcher in Ubuntu. One minute, and a Google search later, it was as she wanted it.

Reaction score
I have just bought a MBP as I have no experience with Macs but have been running Linux for years. SolusOS is by far the most stable OS I have ever run. I find Linux to be more stable than Windows but I loathe Windows with such a passion that I shouldn't even respond...lol Vista is THE WORST os I have ever seen or used. It sent me packing away from Windows forever but I hate all the antivirus, spyware, etc and then end up with BSOD daily. Anyway, I know very little about Macs but I have wanted one for a long time so I bought one this week and here I am. I want to learn everything I can. It is a personal thing but I have found Linux to be just so much fun and it has taught me alot about what is under the hood so to speak of my computer. It is all in what you like and I like nothing about Windows. LOL

Reaction score
My old Black Mac laptop will no longer run the latest Mac OS, but it runs Ubuntu just fine so I can make serious use of an outdated computer. The major negative of Ubuntu is that it doesn't have a VNC that works as effortlessly as Mac Screen Sharing, and with two Mac Minis on the home network that run "headless" I do a lot of that. I also think that malware that will attack Linux running in a VM on a Mac is about as improbable as it gets.

Reaction score
I like Windows but it's because i do occasional gaming but I like Ubuntu for some "PC connecting" (wink, wink). But overall it depends on what I'm doing

Reaction score
P.S. since upgrading from Ubuntu 11 to Ubuntu 12, KRDC seems to work just as well as Screen Sharing. I still need Mac OS for a few things but that was the big one. If Apple decides to throw its resources into phones, tablets and entertainment and lightens up on its support for the computer division, I am well prepared.

Reaction score
I should add to my previous comment, linux runs very well on an old Mac that no longer accepts the latest OS X. My old Black Mac laptop does a great job with Ubuntu, and that has given it a whole new lease on life.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It only took you a year to add to your previous comments. That's a lot of contemplating! ;) I ran Ubuntu in a dual boot with Windows for a number of years, however, Linux, any flavor is not for everyone. While the latest versions of Ubuntu have come a long way both in managing hardware and available software, it still requires a good deal of user input in getting it to run right. It's better than Windows in my opinion, but I'll still take OS X over it any day...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I use - & somewhat like - both, for different reasons; Windows is useful for certain software, and Linux is good for general stability & customisation.

I need Windows to run CAD software & to play games, but it does tend to get bogged-down & drastically slow-down with too many apps installed & if used too heavily; so I dual-boot Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu (both 64-bit) on my kick-caboose custom built PC.

I also have Windows 7 (32-bit) running in VirtualBox on Ubuntu; simply because there are some sites I visit that need Internet Explorer, I need Microsoft Office for university work, and I have never found a basic image editor for Linux that matches MS Paint in ease of use.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use - & somewhat like - both, for different reasons; Windows is useful for certain software, and Linux is good for general stability & customisation.

I need Windows to run CAD software & to play games, but it does tend to get bogged-down & drastically slow-down with too many apps installed & if used too heavily; so I dual-boot Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu (both 64-bit) on my kick-caboose custom built PC.

I also have Windows 7 (32-bit) running in VirtualBox on Ubuntu; simply because there are some sites I visit that need Internet Explorer, I need Microsoft Office for university work, and I have never found a basic image editor for Linux that matches MS Paint in ease of use.

Yeah, you'll definitely want to use Windows for gaming, and that's what most do. See, I have no use for Windows, so I just use my MacBook Pro for everything as well as Linux on my desktop sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.