Which do you prefer Windows or Linux?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would probably embrace Ubuntu more especially since they went to Unity.
You're in the minority then. Most reviews of Unity, especially pre-12.04, have been relatively negative. It's better now (especially with the HUD) but it's only going to get more complicated and problematic when they drop the non-accelerated version in 12.10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You're in the minority then. Most reviews of Unity, especially pre-12.04, have been relatively negative. It's better now (especially with the HUD) but it's only going to get more complicated and problematic when they drop the non-accelerated version in 12.10.

I am NOT a Unity fan.. well, I'm not an Ubuntu fan anyway.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am NOT a Unity fan.. well, I'm not an Ubuntu fan anyway.
Doesn't surprise me. If I had to play the odds, I'd say that most people aren't fans of Unity. (I don't mean to single you out osxx!).

From where I sit, it's gotten better but I still love me some XFCE or LXDE.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
I have my HP laptop dual booted Win 7/Ubuntu 12.04 and I like OSX the best but if it was taken away I would probably embrace Ubuntu more especially since they went to Unity.

Yeah i also prefer OSX and I am thinking about dual booting windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on an hp laptop as well. The reason it's a good combination to dual boot is because if you like unix then you should like most linux distros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook mid 2007 c2d 2.16 4gb ddr2 250 gb hdd osx lion
windows or mac

hello everybody i actually prefer mac osx

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hello everybody i actually prefer mac osx

Let's not go off topic. We have plenty of Windows vs Mac threads. That wasnt the point of this thread.

Reaction score
At work, I use Linux because it is fast and what I do is mostly browser based. The only time I get a "beach ball" equivalent is when the network is slow. I have a headless Mac Mini on the network that I control through a remote desktop connection. It does a wonderful job looking after 100's of faxes and scanned documents/day including running them through an OCR and indexing them so I can do a quick retrieve with Spotlight. That way I get the best out of both systems. At home and when travelling I use Macs and they work best in that setting. I wouldn't be without both.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At work, I use Linux because it is fast and what I do is mostly browser based. The only time I get a "beach ball" equivalent is when the network is slow. I have a headless Mac Mini on the network that I control through a remote desktop connection. It does a wonderful job looking after 100's of faxes and scanned documents/day including running them through an OCR and indexing them so I can do a quick retrieve with Spotlight. That way I get the best out of both systems. At home and when travelling I use Macs and they work best in that setting. I wouldn't be without both.

Nice. Yeah I also prefer both Mac OS X and Linux. I hope that I can use only Mac OS X and possibly Linux as well for my job!!

WLH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 " iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Mem 1TB HD - 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB
I have Fedora Linux on an older HP Laptop that I keep in my RV mostly for e-mail and internet access. I've been using Linux for years and find it very stable and easy to use and fix.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have Fedora Linux on an older HP Laptop that I keep in my RV mostly for e-mail and internet access. I've been using Linux for years and find it very stable and easy to use and fix.

Easy to fix? I don't know about that. But, yeah what you are using Linux for is perfect and saves tons of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If I had to choose between Windows XP and Linux, I would go Linux, but not Ubuntu - just seems toy-like. Way back in the day, I grew up on Irix (anyone remember that?) Beside that, I ran Red Hat with the CDE GUI, which I loved and made it almost a seamless transition between Irix and Linux.

If Windows 7 was in the mix, I would probably have to lean to windows 7 over Linux. It is a decent OS and was decently stable. Now, I am not the average user, in that I paid attention to what I was doing, where I was going and I took care of how I used the machine. However this is true of any computer I use. I am stuck on XP at work and have been on the same image for well over a year now with no issues.

Generally, I have found in the role I play at work, if a person has continuous issues with one OS, they will have similar issues with any OS.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had to choose between Windows XP and Linux, I would go Linux, but not Ubuntu - just seems toy-like. Way back in the day, I grew up on Irix (anyone remember that?) Beside that, I ran Red Hat with the CDE GUI, which I loved and made it almost a seamless transition between Irix and Linux.

If Windows 7 was in the mix, I would probably have to lean to windows 7 over Linux. It is a decent OS and was decently stable. Now, I am not the average user, in that I paid attention to what I was doing, where I was going and I took care of how I used the machine. However this is true of any computer I use. I am stuck on XP at work and have been on the same image for well over a year now with no issues.

Generally, I have found in the role I play at work, if a person has continuous issues with one OS, they will have similar issues with any OS.

Yeah. I think it's obvious that Linux is better than Windows 7. Hopefully the Linux population can grow as big as Windows if not larger! Ever tried Mac? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Yeah. I think it's obvious that Linux is better than Windows 7. Hopefully the Linux population can grow as big as Windows if not larger! Ever tried Mac? :)

First, for the general populace, no, I do not think Linux is better. Unless you want to do the training... as to trying a Mac? First, read my Sig. Second, I thought this was Windows/Linux discussion?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, for the general populace, no, I do not think Linux is better. Unless you want to do the training... as to trying a Mac? First, read my Sig. Second, I thought this was Windows/Linux discussion?

Sorry I lost track of what this topic was called.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

? I thought you just said you preferred Linux over Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
? I thought you just said you preferred Linux over Windows?

read my whole post again. I said if it was Windows XP, I would take Linux over XP. If it was Windows 7, I would take Windows 7 over Linux.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
read my whole post again. I said if it was Windows XP, I would take Linux over XP. If it was Windows 7, I would take Windows 7 over Linux.

Oh ok. And yeah I think I would have to agree. So what computer(s) do you have that run Windows? Like desktop or laptop and like what kind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My work laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad 420 running XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.