Which do you prefer Windows or Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
It's all in the title. By the way, I think we all know OS X is the best so we don't even need to mention it. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Having used both for years on end, I actually prefer Linux. Ubuntu being my favorite distro although I have tried out everything from Mepis to Puppy. Dual booted between XP and Ubuntu before switching to OS X.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having used both for years on end, I actually prefer Linux. Ubuntu being my favorite distro although I have tried out everything from Mepis to Puppy. Dual booted between XP and Ubuntu before switching to OS X.

Nice. ya I love OS X but I do plan on dual booting windows and ubuntu if i decide i like Linux enough. The reason for this is compatibility. I know the mass majority of businesses and even colleges use windows so I know I will need to practice using windows. And if i dual boot with linux i will still have some unix-like features on the computer just incase I want to use it instead of windows.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am going to hide after this statement, but.....

I sort of prefer Windows 7. It's stable and has so much support. Yes I know linux has a lot of free programs, but Adobe and applications like that just are not there. :D

Now I will block Van from emailing me and yelling at me! :D Grin

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I sort of prefer Windows 7. It's stable and has so much support. Yes I know linux has a lot of free programs, but Adobe and applications like that just are not there. :D

haha ya i would have to agree with you. Even though i hate windows I have to be forced to like it because of the compatibility. The main reason i agree is because Linux is just not ready for desktop yet.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

I sort of prefer Windows 7. It's stable and has so much support. . .

Will be praying for your speedy recovery. Obviously you have slipped a gear from too much stress. ;P

Actually, I'm not a Windows hater (well not much) and maybe if I used it around the house I would feel differently, but I haven't seen any improvement in stability or whatever in my work computer.
Perhaps it is our IT and the security protocols we run, but I average two to three cold reboots per week . . . Wait, that is an improvement, used to be four to five. So, that's almost 100% better. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will be praying for your speedy recovery. Obviously you have slipped a gear from too much stress. ;P

Actually, I'm not a Windows hater (well not much) and maybe if I used it around the house I would feel differently, but I haven't seen any improvement in stability or whatever in my work computer.
Perhaps it is our IT and the security protocols we run, but I average two to three cold reboots per week . . . Wait, that is an improvement, used to be four to five. So, that's almost 100% better. ;)

haha yup. The only reason I would use windows is compatibility. I really hope OS X starts improving their compatibility with softwares so hopefully the popularity of Macs and the use of them in businesses can increase!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Found you! 'Tis blasphemy!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Have to agree.

Linux is far too fragile, and once something's broken, it tends to be overly complicated to fix.

Linux is a fun toy if you can't afford a real OS, but that's about it.

(runs, hides!)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have to agree.

Linux is far too fragile, and once something's broken, it tends to be overly complicated to fix.

(runs, hides!)
Exactly! You nailed it right there!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have to agree.

(runs, hides!)

At the risk of sending Van into Apoplexy, that is what brought me to OS X in the first place. I wanted what Linux promised, but wasn't up for the investment to get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I honestly prefer Windows, and that's because I use it only for gaming.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly prefer Windows, and that's because I use it only for gaming.

Yup. It's a no-brainer that if you want to game on a computer use windows. I prefer to game on my xbox 360 :) That's why I don't use windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
At the risk of sending Van into Apoplexy, that is what brought me to OS X in the first place. I wanted what Linux promised, but wasn't up for the investment to get it.

Wow... it's been a whole 30 minutes. Van's carpal tunnel must be acting up, or he's writing a WOT.

I sure hope he realizes that I said this with tongue firmly in cheek :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was walking somewhere but I have now returned and see that I need to find everyone of you and correct your obviously unenlightened and misinformed views. :p

My philosophy is, and always has been, "to each their own." I certainly know that if I went back to Linux, I'd need a Windows VM because I can't risk using tools for Linux that may or may not work well with the Windows equivalents (Office/LibreOffice for example). That risk though wouldn't stop me from using it as the primary OS on my machine - I love to tinker, I know how to fix my tinkering if it goes wrong and I like the *nix base.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Only because you don't know it. ;) Seriously, it's far easier for me to fix a broken Linux (or Unix) box than a Windows box.

I could make the counter argument, Windows is overly complicated to fix. Of course, I don't really know Windows and I fully admit to that. :Mischievous:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think Linux has gotten a bad rap in the past because it was difficult to setup with certain hardware - notably trying to get wireless to work. And of course there was a problem with certain graphic cards, and so on.

But nowadays, Ubuntu for example, is pretty much plug and play and works with a wide variety of hardware. In some respects, it's easier to setup on older hardware than Windows.

Like Van, I loved to tinker around with Linux. It was great fun and since most everything was open source or free, what the heck!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to enjoy tinkering back when that mainly meant playing with Dos Bat files, and programming Fortran, Basic and later Turbo Pascal.

Now, I feel about my OS like I do my cars. I just want them to work. ;)

Have to agree though Ubuntu makes Linux a whole lot easier than it used to be.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's certainly come a long way in the last few years. And, although it gets a bad rap from the more "hardcore" Linux users, much of that is because of Ubuntu's push to make it so.

It definitely works better on older hardware and I think part of that is the eclectic mix of users. There are some who want fancy desktop environments with loads of eye candy and then there are those who want nothing more than OpenBox as a window manager or a desktop environment.

I still like to tinker with it and I want the few coding projects I have on the go to work across OSes so I need to test them in Linux. I've started tinkering with the BSDs recently as well - if you think Linux is tricky, well, the BSDs are...hmmm..."old school". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have my HP laptop dual booted Win 7/Ubuntu 12.04 and I like OSX the best but if it was taken away I would probably embrace Ubuntu more especially since they went to Unity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.