Several questions about GarageBand

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
edit: Nevermind

Reaction score
Hey rsherid,

Just curious if you've made a final decision? I know there are a ton of MIDI keyboard controllers out there.

I'm looking at purchasing a MIDI keyboard controller, (along with an iMac), so I'd be very interested in knowing what you picked out, and hearing what you think of it.

I was considering the E-MU X-Board 61. However, I'm not so sure now. It comes with some cool features, (full-size keys, after-touch, etc). However, it also comes with some cool software that doesn't work on Macs. So I'm not sure if it's the best option for a Mac.

Thanks!
LB

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I got the M-Audio Keystation 49e for just $50 off eBay. I have yet to really get into its features, but so far it's just what I wanted and works perfectly with Macs. The only problem I have is getting used to weighted keys.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zooming in on two tracks at once in GB

I know you can zoom in on one track by double-clicking, but how do you zoom in on two or more tracks at once?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
I'm 99% positive you can't zoom in on more than one track at a time. BUT, the best answer i can give you as an alternative is- ONLY if it's 2 separate midi tracks. You can highlight both of them in the main window (shift + click) and hit "apple J". this "joins" the tracks together letting you look at both midi tracks at the same time... other than that, i dont think there is really ay other way to look at 2 separate tracks simultaneously :Smirk:

Reaction score
Yeah, I got the M-Audio Keystation 49e for just $50 off eBay. I have yet to really get into its features, but so far it's just what I wanted and works perfectly with Macs. The only problem I have is getting used to weighted keys.
Very cool! Great deal on that Keystation!

I was thinking of going with an E-MU MIDI keyboard. But it comes with a bunch of stuff that doesn't work with Mac. So I'm thinking of an M-Audio rig now. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

Appreciate the update! Good luck and have fun!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any advice on where to set basic dB levels for bass and drums at? These two things seem to always make or break one of my recordings (causing static, cracks, and pops). I suppose there isn't like a standard dB bass level I could always set it to?

Reaction score
If you get a low quality sound on your drum and bass tracks its probably because you're not exporting the song at a high enough bit rate. Whenever I export a song from garage band I usually set the bit rate to 192 kbps. It takes up more space but its usually worth it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Synth parts in GB are being knocked down an octave

Why is it that some synth tracks recorded with my MIDI controller get knocked out of their proper octave? They're recorded...on "tape"...unfortunately not locked...so what gives? And, more importantly, how can I set them right again?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GB Track Volumes Randomly Change

While working in GarageBand at random times using my MIDI controller, I'll noticed the volume on a track not currently in use either raises or lowers in volume. It's almost as if a ghost is controlling it. Why is this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.