Several questions about GarageBand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm finding it near impossible to keep a steady 4/4 kick drum beat for the length of a 4-minute song with my MIDI drum machine. What's the best way to stretch it throughout the song? I know you can loop it, but there's always that bit at the end that throws everything off.
If there's a little bit at the end, then you're not really keeping four beats per measure.

If all you want is a basic beat (regardless of the time signature) simply record one measure, copy it and paste it as many times as you need to into your project.

You could also try a different time signature. Maybe 3/4 or even 7/8 would work better for your project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
To quantize your recording: select the part(s), go to the edit section, select the parameter you want to quantize and set the enhance timing drop-down to the desired amount. I may be wrong in that it doesn't affect pitch bend tho.
To edit the pitch bend just select pitch bend under Advanced and drag/erase/add the little green balls to get your desired effect. Make sure to drag the zoom slide at bottom left to the larger measure to get more precision.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Microphones: Line in didn't work so USB mic should?

I created multiple threads here and on Apple's official forum to basically find out my Line-In port doesn't work. So if I get a USB mic, will it work? Or is this problem seeded within my sound card?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixing lag in GarageBand on a MacBook

I've been experiencing a notable when recording in GB '08 on 1.83Ghz 2GB MacBook. I know more RAM would probably fix it, but I'm maxed out at 2GB. Any other recommendations?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you've maxed out on what you can, you've done just about all you can do. Your Mac can only handle so much - if it hits the wall, it's not going any faster. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you've maxed out on what you can, you've done just about all you can do. Your Mac can only handle so much - if it hits the wall, it's not going any faster. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes there are little fixes here and there to tweak performance. Well, if I do move up to a MacBook Pro, will 3/4GB RAM be enough for recording multiple tracks in GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
My MacBook was a 2.16GHz white model. I installed 4GB and the system saw the full amount. It addressed 3.3; I chose to install a full 4 to preserve parallel processing.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, I know, but sometimes there are little fixes here and there to tweak performance. Well, if I do move up to a MacBook Pro, will 3/4GB RAM be enough for recording multiple tracks in GB?
I don't really work with GB but having more RAM will definitely help.

Just as a note, the top of the line MBP supports up to 8GB. Getting 8GB is going to be really expensive though. Although, if you can afford a $3000 laptop, cost really isn't an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I created multiple threads here and on Apple's official forum to basically find out my Line-In port doesn't work. So if I get a USB mic, will it work? Or is this problem seeded within my sound card?

You will need either a USB microphone, or pick up an audio recording interface, to then hookup your existing microphone/music instruments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
the reason you can pick up any sound is probably because the microphone needs to run through an amplifier of some kind. The 8th inch line in can only pick up signals strong enough to not run through an amp.. best way to go is buy an interface.. but if you're only gunna be using a mic (and nothing else) just buy a usb mic

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How to make a remix on a Mac

I have the instruments I want to use loaded in GarageBand, but how can I make a real remix the right way? Using an accapella track, I need to keep a steady dance beat and, most importantly, manipulate the vocals, which I found restricting in GarageBand. Thanks for any recommendations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Did you set the acapella track up to a click? You can't sync a beat against it without a clock, it just won't work.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about the processor? If I move from a 1.83Ghz to 2.2Ghz and 2GB RAM to 2.5GB RAM, will that help at all?

Reaction score
What everyone is trying to say is what I asked in another post...the jack on the side of your MacBook is not a Mic In port, it's an Audio In port. The people who replied to me recommended the Griffin iMic, which costs about 60 bucks on Amazon...but I'm sure you can find it cheaper. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm currently looking for something I can plug into the dad blasted audio in port...since it seems to be a waste of a hole if I dont (and it'll be a waste of a USB port if I get the iMic when something else is available). Apropos of this...if anyone has any tips on my search (and rsherid's)...do tell, please!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it will help but the real question is whether it's worth the upgrade.

Is your MB dual core? If not, the move to a faster and dual core processor will definitely help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it will help but the real question is whether it's worth the upgrade.

Is your MB dual core? If not, the move to a faster and dual core processor will definitely help.

Right now it's a Dual Core, but the upgrade would be to Dual Core 2.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, you probably would notice the difference with the combo CPU/RAM upgrade but is it worth getting a new Mac for the increase you are getting?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, you probably would notice the difference with the combo CPU/RAM upgrade but is it worth getting a new Mac for the increase you are getting?

I think so. I should note I'd be getting the MBP off eBay so it won't be retail:D

Will this leftover 512MB RAM from the MB work OK in the MBP or would I have to get a specific kind of RAM?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be fine as long as the MBP is recent. If it doesn't work, you buy new RAM. Look here if you want to make sure.

While you won't be paying retail, you'll be getting a used machine. Just something to keep in mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.